2 things on the TBT: | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2 things on the TBT:

It's still on the new side. When Boeheim's Army wins this, a lot more people are going to want in.

ESPN probably wants us to win every game with the amount of excitement SU fans are generating.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer because I enjoyed yesterday's game. It's certainly a bigger deal on this board and in Syracuse, but I think there may be an overestimation in how much excitement there is around the rest of the country before I say it's on it's way to becoming a big deal. Kansas and Kansas State both had alumni playing this year and as far as I have seen, there hasn't been any significant coverage or excitement here in the KC area. Even if you look at the vote totals, it's just a few thousand even for the leaders.

I'm not trying to argue with you because ultimately I agree with you. But I think the point here is that "there is something here." Not saying it's there today, but it is filling a void (time of the year has a lot to do with it) with something that I had never thought of before. Think of it this way: what if this takes off and the teams actually get better, without becoming like D-League level? It's unique and offers a chance to reconnect with former players in a way that has not existed before. They either go to the NBA, go INTL, or don't play anymore. But none of those are opportunities to aggregate players from different years and watch them in a way we previously couldn't. Not trying to convince you...not sure why I digressed to that, but just pointing out that there is a lot of upside for this.

44cuse

I'm not trying to argue with you because ultimately I agree with you. But I think the point here is that "there is something here." Not saying it's there today, but it is filling a void (time of the year has a lot to do with it) with something that I had never thought of before. Think of it this way: what if this takes off and the teams actually get better, without becoming like D-League level? It's unique and offers a chance to reconnect with former players in a way that has not existed before. They either go to the NBA, go INTL, or don't play anymore. But none of those are opportunities to aggregate players from different years and watch them in a way we previously couldn't. Not trying to convince you...not sure why I digressed to that, but just pointing out that there is a lot of upside for this.

44cuse
I could envision a World Cup like tournament, with pod play and the top two in each pod advance to a single elimination tourney.

There's a lot of potential.

I think it's great filler for the off season. Really enjoying it.

I'm not so sure the university is happy to see one of its assistant coaches mother-f***ing his way through this tournament on Natioal TV though.

Not surprised Devo is still killing it. Defense was usually somewhat of an issue for him, but he was as lethal a SG on offense as I've ever seen in Orange. Nowadays, guys like him who put up the numbers he did right from the start don't stick around for 4 years, or even 3.

I'm not so sure the university is happy to see one of its assistant coaches mother- ***ing his way through this tournament on Natioal TV though.
I spent a little bit of time trying to make an animated gif of Devo with the sunglasses coming down and it saying "Deal with it," but it was a total failure, so everybody, just picture right here an animated gif of Devo with the sunglasses coming down and it saying "Deal with it."

It's still on the new side. When Boeheim's Army wins this, a lot more people are going to want in.
yep and if JB shows up for their FF then the pub will be high for that. Carmello too, this could be the year it really takes off. More $ next year, etc. freaking fun though that's for sure.

44cuse
For this year, about one-third of the field was made up of alumni teams. I don't know how that compares with previous seasons. There were some new alum teams this year, but others didn't come back. Anyway, if that number jumps up to 50%, I could see TBT really taking off.

During the Ohio St. game yesterday, Ben Brust tweeted that there should be a Wisconsin team next year, and Frank Kaminsky volunteered to coach. So former players from other schools are taking notice. The combination of our nail-biters and OSU's dominance is giving TBT more exposure. And Overseas Elite and Challenge ALS are great stories.

When Jim retires from coaching the Orange, he can coach BA to keep active and have some fun. Wouldn't that be some crazy shite.

I spent a little bit of time trying to make an animated gif of Devo with the sunglasses coming down and it saying "Deal with it," but it was a total failure, so everybody, just picture right here an animated gif of Devo with the sunglasses coming down and it saying "Deal with it."

No doubt the university doesn't care for it. But I've always loved the fire and emotion Devo plays with and hope recruits see how competitive and tough he is as well.

44cuse

I'm not so sure the university is happy to see one of its assistant coaches mother- ***ing his way through this tournament on Natioal TV though.

But they would not have won "one f***ing game" without him.

Last edited:

Gee, The University on the complete, total, opposite page as its fan base. Who'd a thunk! ;)

I'm trying to decide if this thing would be even better if they played the finals in like MSG or Brooklyn's arena. MSG gives it that great big game feel but not sure how much better it would with only like 5,000 there.

Nostalgia sells

All you need to do is look at a concert schedule

I think this tournament is well on its way to becoming a big deal. It fits in nicely with the sports schedule...right after nba playoffs and summer league...before people start paying real attention to baseball pennant races...right around the time NFL training camps begin. companies love live sports content because its the one remaining form of entertainment where people really tend to want to watch live rather than record and skip commercials.
It's funny you say that because that's exactly what I did.

The players are like my kids in that I will get excited to watch them play anywhere/anytime.

My family was going crazy during the comeback and I can't wait for the next game.

LGO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom