20 Under the Radar Breakout Players | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

20 Under the Radar Breakout Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes Rachel Dratch GIF - Yikes Rachel Dratch Debbie Downer ...
Tell me I'm wrong.

Yup. This is ridiculous.

My patience is gone. Compete for the league title and be a threat to make a run in the NCAA’s. That’s the expectations.
It's predictions like these (and I know they can be wrong) that i go back and wonder how after coming off a losing season you don't pound the portal for experienced players to immediately upgrade the roster. And no, landing a backup center is not pounding the portal.
The 6 man recruiting class is nice but will need time and might not be an instant upgrade to the team record etc. It's just bizarre the lassez faire approach. JB is putting a lot of faith in Benny who underwhelmed and a bunch of freshman who are unknown.

Like what needs to happen for SU to be just a solid in for the tourney?

1. The roster stays healthy
2. Benny makes a jump and becomes a good SF
3. Mintz is the real deal and solidifies the PG position
4. At least one of the freshmen (Bunch? Carey? Taylor?) exceeds expectations and provides quality depth to the roster.

The player development has been all over the place the past several seasons, seems like a lot needs to happen.

Ah yes, another gloom and doomer that identifies as a “realist.”
Love you guys.
Ah yes, another "everything is sunshine and roses" guy that calls anyone with objectivity a doom and gloomer.

Like what needs to happen for SU to be just a solid in for the tourney?

1. The roster stays healthy
2. Benny makes a jump and becomes a good SF
3. Mintz is the real deal and solidifies the PG position
4. At least one of the freshmen (Bunch? Carey? Taylor?) exceeds expectations and provides quality depth to the roster.

The player development has been all over the place the past several seasons, seems like a lot needs to happen.
Here’s my answer for each point:

1. Crucial for every team
2. a former top 40 recruit making a leap from freshman to sophomore year isn’t unheard of
3. But at the same time, it’s not too surprising if a a top 40 recruit comes in and performs well
4. Most schools outside of the top 5 need this unfortunately. You need a kid or 2 to breakout to extend the depth

I get what you’re trying to say. But I don’t think it’s asking for anything crazy.

We have 2 upperclassmen who are all-league caliber talent who have been here for several years .We will almost certainly be better on defense and rebounding than we were last year. We will be more athletic and better equipped to run.

Here’s my answer for each point:

1. Crucial for every team
2. a former top 40 recruit making a leap from freshman to sophomore year isn’t unheard of
3. But at the same time, it’s not too surprising if a a top 40 recruit comes in and performs well
4. Most schools outside of the top 5 need this unfortunately. You need a kid or 2 to breakout to extend the depth

I get what you’re trying to say. But I don’t think it’s asking for anything crazy.

We have 2 upperclassmen who are all-league caliber talent who have been here for several years .We will almost certainly be better on defense and rebounding than we were last year. We will be more athletic and better equipped to run.

Like I said though the player development has been all over the place. Jesse is a good example of the positive development, or Elijah Hughes. But Benny could be an example of the opposite. Going back years further you can point to Kaleb Joseph, Roberson, Jalen Carey, etc.

This upcoming team reminds me of the 2017-18 team in some ways, but looking back I think I had more confidence in the player development of the program and the players overall fit in our style of play.

I'm optimistic this team will be a winning team, but I hope to see some evidence to that.

Ah yes, another gloom and doomer that identifies as a “realist.”
Love you guys.
So you and Brooky03 don't see any reason to be the least bit skeptical after a losing season, being on the bubble at best annually the past several seasons and two very big questions at the forward position?

Last edited:
Like I said though the player development has been all over the place. Jesse is a good example of the positive development, or Elijah Hughes. But Benny could be an example of the opposite. Going back years further you can point to Kaleb Joseph, Roberson, Jalen Carey, etc.

This upcoming team reminds me of the 2017-18 team in some ways, but looking back I think I had more confidence in the player development of the program and the players overall fit in our style of play.

I'm optimistic this team will be a winning team, but I hope to see some evidence to that.
The players we recruited fit "our playing style" better than since before Buddy was here. We've had a decade of playing forwards at center or having centers who were tall enough, but couldn't score a bit.

On the other hand, we've also suffered short slow guards and forwards far too often to be great on defense over that same time period.

Look at our current team.

Edwards is our best center since at least Christmas, he's probably better defensively and could be Christmas' equal in offense this year.

Hima is huge and tall with extremely long arms. If eating space is a skill, he has it.

Carey and Brown are long and athletic.

Bunch, Williams and Taylor are athletic (skilled?) and might be able to shoot.

Mintz, Torrence and Copeland are long and athletic.

This team has the parts to be the prototypical defensive Syracuse team in place. Only Girard is the ugly duckling on defense, and he's one of the best pure shooters of the JB era.

On offense, we potentially have it all, four shooters and a post presence on the floor, with a couple guys who can drive and another couple who can receive the alley OOP and finish.

We could be really good if things work out. A lot has to go right... Unlike last season where we were like the island of misshapen toys. The individual players were good or great, but terrible fits with each other. JB's coaching was terrible last year, probably in part because he couldn't see past his sons. Do we really think JB's worst coaching performance of his career will be repeated? This team is going to be better. Probably a lot better.

The players we recruited fit "our playing style" better than since before Buddy was here. We've had a decade of playing forwards at center or having centers who were tall enough, but couldn't score a bit.

On the other hand, we've also suffered short slow guards and forwards far too often to be great on defense over that same time period.

Look at our current team.

Edwards is our best center since at least Christmas, he's probably better defensively and could be Christmas' equal in offense this year.

Hima is huge and tall with extremely long arms. If eating space is a skill, he has it.

Carey and Brown are long and athletic.

Bunch, Williams and Taylor are athletic (skilled?) and might be able to shoot.

Mintz, Torrence and Copeland are long and athletic.

This team has the parts to be the prototypical defensive Syracuse team in place. Only Girard is the ugly duckling on defense, and he's one of the best pure shooters of the JB era.

On offense, we potentially have it all, four shooters and a post presence on the floor, with a couple guys who can drive and another couple who can receive the alley OOP and finish.

We could be really good if things work out. A lot has to go right... Unlike last season where we were like the island of misshapen toys. The individual players were good or great, but terrible fits with each other. JB's coaching was terrible last year, probably in part because he couldn't see past his sons. Do we really think JB's worst coaching performance of his career will be repeated? This team is going to be better. Probably a lot better.
You had a great post until that very last sentence. We literally have no idea if the defense will be any good at all with the new guys. Everyone here knows it takes a minute to learn the zone. And we’ve heard the promise of some man. What if JB has been correct all along when he says you have to practice the zone all the time to be good at it? Instead of slow guys not being able to get to the right position, we’ll have fast guys who don’t even know where the right position is.

I’ll buy into this team being better when I see this team playing better.

Last edited:
It's predictions like these (and I know they can be wrong) that i go back and wonder how after coming off a losing season you don't pound the portal for experienced players to immediately upgrade the roster. And no, landing a backup center is not pounding the portal.
The 6 man recruiting class is nice but will need time and might not be an instant upgrade to the team record etc. It's just bizarre the lassez faire approach. JB is putting a lot of faith in Benny who underwhelmed and a bunch of freshman who are unknown.
perhaps it is simply part of the plan for JB to move on...he takes the "hit" of a young team...then when they are ready to win, he steps aside...preparing the way for whomever takes over to do well ASAP??

Gloom and doom? Because people choose to be realistic? Should we all be RutgersAl?

No, no, the program is imploding and Boeheim can’t coach anymore and we’ll never have nice things ever again.

I am sure promises, such as there will be no transfers at your position, we're made as inducements to the freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom