2003 Team Played 7? Why does JB keep saying this? | Syracusefan.com

2003 Team Played 7? Why does JB keep saying this?

1. Anthony
2. McNamara
3. Duany
4. Warrick
5. Forth
6. Edelin
7. McNeil
8. Pace

Yeah, but maybe he only played Pace more because of Melo's back injury. Pace definitely helped turn around the Oklahoma State game in the 2nd round in Boston. I agree JB played 8 even if he is saying 7.

"I think we might be getting Keita back. We think we will pretty soon."
hmmm

because Pace was not a regular part of the rotation. He would often just get token minutes - in about a third of the games that season, he got fewer than 5 minutes.

Josh Pace is the guy for whom the term "7.5 players" was invented

Last edited:
1. Anthony
2. McNamara
3. Duany
4. Warrick
5. Forth
6. Edelin
7. McNeil
8. Pace

Yeah, but maybe he only played Pace more because of Melo's back injury. Pace definitely helped turn around the Oklahoma State game in the 2nd round in Boston. I agree JB played 8 even if he is saying 7.
Pace sat out many games during the Big East season, that may be what hes thinking

because Pace was not a regular part of the rotation. He would often just get token minutes - in about a third of the games that season, he got fewer than 5 minutes.

Josh Pace is the guy for whom the term "7.5 starters" was invented

Yeah..and the token mins were a mistake. He played 21 huge mins in the championship game including some huge buckets

Yeah..and the token mins were a mistake. He played 21 huge mins in the championship game including some huge buckets
yes, we all know that. nobody denies that he was valuable. but the fact remains, he was not a regular rotation player. if you don't play regular minutes, you are not in the rotation.

yes, we all know that. nobody denies that he was valuable. but the fact remains, he was not a regular rotation player. if you don't play regular minutes, you are not in the rotation.

lol ok. 32 out of 35 games. Agree to disagree.

lol ok. 32 out of 35 games. Agree to disagree.
11 out of 35 he got fewer than 5 minutes.

again, by definition, if you are not being rotated in regularly, then you are not part of a regular rotation.

again, by definition, if you are not being rotated in regularly, then you are not part of a regular rotation.

What were his mins in the 6 tourney games?

(Should add..not asking to be a dick, I'm curious and can't find a box scores)

Also, do you consider Jerami Grant part of the rotation last year?

Also remember, Pace played more the first 12 games as Edelin was suspended those first 12. What would be interesting is the mpg, before and after game #12 of the season.

What were his mins in the 6 tourney games?

(Should add..not asking to be a dick, I'm curious and can't find a box scores)
he played in every game and made a significant contribution in most, but he logged just 1 minute in the Oklahoma game

that, by definition, is not part of the rotation.

I am not down on Josh Pace, but it is an absolute fact that he was not part of the regular rotation that season. He was the 8th man who usually got decent minutes but often did not. Hence, 7.5

Pace played regular minutes in the six most important games of the season.

Boeheim himself after that season said the team played better when he finally came to his senses and began playing Pace more.

It was a honest mistake by JB. Our rotation in the NCAA Tournament was 8 players. In the NC game Melo played the 2nd half hurt and Pace had a couple of clutch baskets in the 2nd half. To win a NC this year we honestly only need 7 players assuming they are
1. Fair
2. Ennis
3. Grant
4. Christmas
5. Cooney
6. Gbinjie
7. Keita
8. In case of emergency break glass Roberson

9/10. Double secret emergency Patterson/Johnson
11. Redshirting Obokoh
12. Injured out for the season Coleman.

This is obviously more or less a semantic dispute. But it strikes me as quite a reach to say Pace wasn't in the rotation that year. To me, Roberson this year or MCW a couple years ago are the "0.5" players. Not a guy who routinely played half the game.

In the NCAA tournament, Pace played 17, 27, 22, 1, 20, and 21 minutes. That's a lot. It's higher than what Keita is likely to average through the rest of the season if he comes back.

Craig Forth only played 5 minutes in the Oklahoma St. game. Was he also not in the rotation?

Why does Boeheim believe he even needs to discuss this? Play 5 for all I care, as long as we win.

he played in every game and made a significant contribution in most, but he logged just 1 minute in the Oklahoma game

that, by definition, is not part of the rotation.

I am not down on Josh Pace, but it is an absolute fact that he was not part of the regular rotation that season. He was the 8th man who usually got decent minutes but often did not. Hence, 7.5

I just found the box scores:

In comparison, Grant's mins in the tourney last year:

We're just arguing semantics at this point,
..but the point was that it was important, imo, that Pace and Billy played those mins so GMac, Hak, Melo could get a quick rest. I feel like playing Roberson 5-7 mins a game will help Fair and Grant.

I alway felt that if our bench played more over the years, we would have been a better prepared team when we lost an important piece down the stretch. At this point, we should be looking at our 3rd or 4th National Championship. We won our only championship playing rookies. It time to get them ready.