2009-2010 team | Syracusefan.com

2009-2010 team

I think the 2012 team would have beat them by 10 points when they were both at full strength. Not a knock on 2010, just think 2012 was legitimately great and could have competed in any era of college basketball.

Also - I realize with our offense the last two year it is difficult to see us ever having a good offense again - but that team came out of nowhere. Unranked in the preseason and lost to LeMoyne. Don't think anyone was expecting much after losing Flynn, Harris and Devendorf. So, sometimes the unexpected happens in a good way.

Most balanced SU team ever? I think it is. 7 guys between 8-16 points / 22-35 minutes, 1st in the country in total assists. Wow.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2010.html

Look at those stats. Wow, do I miss it. Fantastic year to be on the hill, even with the disappointing ending. I can't see it ever being that great.

We had two players who could score on the low block with their back to the basket when jumpers weren't falling - an unbelievable luxury at the college level.

I think the 2012 team would have beat them by 10 points when they were both at full strength. Not a knock on 2010, just think 2012 was legitimately great and could have competed in any era of college basketball.

Also - I realize with our offense the last two year it is difficult to see us ever having a good offense again - but that team came out of nowhere. Unranked in the preseason and lost to LeMoyne. Don't think anyone was expecting much after losing Flynn, Harris and Devendorf. So, sometimes the unexpected happens in a good way.

2011-2012 team
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2012.html

9 guys over 11 minutes per game. I miss it.

We had two players who could score on the low block with their back to the basket when jumpers weren't falling - an unbelievable luxury at the college level.

The fact big Rick figured out how to play the wing is incredible for a man his size. Sure, we've had 6'9" players before out there, but nowhere near his size. He was a college center.

That team is the poster child for why I get annoyed when people say JB will never play more than 7.5. It doesn't happen often, but he will when he thinks they can handle it.

Those teams were great and I hate Georgetown and Fab so much for ruining those seasons.

Look at those stats! After we lost to Butler I ripped like 8 shots in my dorm room in BBB and passed out by 11.

Most balanced SU team ever? I think it is. 7 guys between 8-16 points / 22-35 minutes, 1st in the country in total assists. Wow.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2010.html

Look at those stats. Wow, do I miss it. Fantastic year to be on the hill, even with the disappointing ending. I can't see it ever being that great.
Such a fun team to watch. Some of the best chemistry and basketball IQ we've ever had. I think Rautins had a lot to do with that. Who would've thought he'd be such an important player for us when he committed. I thought he may make himself into a shooter off the bench, but he became so much more.

Such a fun team to watch. Some of the best chemistry and basketball IQ we've ever had. I think Rautins had a lot to do with that. Who would've thought he'd be such an important player for us when he committed. I thought he may make himself into a shooter off the bench, but he became so much more.

Agreed, as much as it sucks we couldn't win one that year, it's fun looking through these stats and reminiscing.

That's an interesting discussion. I think the shooting of the 2010 team would ultimately win out. Three guys with significant minutes played that shot over 40% from 3 with a 4th at 39% combined with two legitimate post players on offense. No one player on 2010 was as talented as Dion was in 2012, but I think the team was superior.

That's an interesting discussion. I think the shooting of the 2010 team would ultimately win out. Three guys with significant minutes played that shot over 40% from 3 with a 4th at 39% combined with two legitimate post players on offense. No one player on 2010 was as talented as Dion was in 2012, but I think the team was superior.

But I think that 2012 team could have made it really hard for Wes to get shots of. They would have made him drive and that was not his game. Andy would have done well, but Scoop, Dion and BT could have gotten out on him. 2010 would have a huge advantage inside and bet AO and RJ would have eaten Fab up inside. But JS and KJ (12 version) would have caused a matchup problem for that team causing Jackson to play more on the wing and limiting his defensive effectiveness.

best SU team in my lifetime; and by a significant margin, IMO.

But I think that 2012 team could have made it really hard for Wes to get shots of. They would have made him drive and that was not his game. Andy would have done well, but Scoop, Dion and BT could have gotten out on him. 2010 would have a huge advantage inside and bet AO and RJ would have eaten Fab up inside. But JS and KJ (12 version) would have caused a matchup problem for that team causing Jackson to play more on the wing and limiting his defensive effectiveness.
I think the number of shooters combined with the ability to move the ball would've been difficult for that defense to deal with. If Wes was our only shooter, I would agree to an extent. He still may have been able to get his shot off with his height advantage over the guards. Also, if you have Wes, Andy, and Triche/Scoop on the perimeter they could move the ball quickly and work for the open shot. It would be difficult for the wings to get out quickly because of Rick and/or AO on the inside. Jackson may have had some difficulty on the perimeter defending those guys, but we would've been able to match up with Wes and young uninjured KJ. I prefer the versatility and balance of the 2010 team.

I forgot just how much I loved wtaching the '09 - '10 team. Fun fact, of the 7 guys who played major minutes on that team, the worst 2 point % was Scoop at 52%. Amazing. For a little context, excluding DC2 (who only played 169 minutes on the season), this year's team only had one guy who shot over 52% from two. Not surprisingly, that was Rak at 61%.

Look at those stats! After we lost to Butler I ripped like 8 shots in my dorm room in BBB and passed out by 11.
I was so depressed after that game... I came home from school and literally sat on my bed from like 2-7 saying I can't believe Syracuse lost that... Sickening... Loved that team

That was the "Noah's Ark" team: two inside scorers (Onuaku, Jackson), two outside scorers (Johnson, Rautins), two guys who could drive to the basket to score, (Joseph, Triche and even Jardine) and two point guards, (Jardine and Joseph). My favorite team since the national champions and I think they'd beat 2011-12 with both teams at their best.

That was the "Noah's Ark" team: two inside scorers (Onuaku, Jackson), two outside scorers (Johnson, Rautins), two guys who could drive to the basket to score, (Joseph, Triche and even Jardine) and two point guards, (Jardine and Joseph). My favorite team since the national champions and I think they'd beat 2011-12 with both teams at their best.
I think you're trying the meld the past with the future. Joseph won't be our PG until next year. ;)

I'm 24, the best 'Cuse team I can legitimately remember is 2010. It was the only season where I literally thought we would win every game (that feeling started after the UNC/Cal games in the Garden). The balance that team had in every aspect was incredible.

The only weakness I could even remember was the point; but Scoop and Triche were solid.

I prefer the 2012 team. The just dominated every team the went up against. Lost only one game at full strength and had Waiters, Southerland, and Fair off the bench.

09-10 balance, skill, and flexibility were really fun to watch. We had 4 3pt shooting threats, 2 post threats, and 3 legit threats who could put it on the floor.

Last edited:
I prefer the 2012 team. The just dominated every team the went up against. Lost only one game at full strength and had Waiters, Southerland, and Fair off the bench.

The 2012 team had to grind out a lot of games.

Even at full strength 2012 team I still think falls to Kentucky in the finals while 2010 dominates Duke healthy.

The 2012 team had to grind out a lot of games.

So did 2010...2010 at full strength also got smoked by Louisville twice and lost to a really bad Pitt team. They were also in the middle of blowing a lead to Georgetown before AO got hurt. They needed colossal comeback to beat DePaul, ugly win at Seton Hall and almost blew a 20 point lead at Georgetown. Also needed a fortuitous call to beat an NIT UConn team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom