2013-14 Starting 5 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2013-14 Starting 5

I am in the opinion there is no way Grant is gone unless he gets up to like 11-12 ppg minimum. I think he will be around the 6.8 ppg range.

Doubt we see that to his jr year. He doesn't have the footwork/body to roll off his defender in the post and lacks the dribble. He will have to depend on quick release in the post and from outside. Although this team has the weapons around him to pass to which helps his chances.

I think Grant has more potential growing into a 6'10 pf ala Anthony Davis then he does as a 6'8 sf.

Grant will be easily over 10 pts per game this year. We dont know what he can do... he never had to do anything. this kid was an all world guard in high school, he can shoot. he just grew so darn much. I think you guys will be shocked at what he can do.

And although CJ is probably my favorite SU player ever... Grant will be drafted before him next year.

So does that mean if Grant doesn't start it will be a bust? Power off the bench both ways?
Cooneywas perhaps the Nation's poorest shooting shooting guard. There used to be a site that kept such stats for free. If someone is a subscriber to Pomeroy etc, they can look it up. He is a negative net points man. He should improve but given how absolutely dreadful he was, he has to improve an inordinate amount to become worthy of extended minutes. If Silent G is not clearly better than it means one of two things: 1) Silent G is not very good, or 2) Cooney is tremendously improved. The second option is unlikely. I expect gradual improvement, maybe starter ready as a senior, but not before. Power off the bench is not how any neutral observer would have described Cooney. Just because someone plays for us does not mean that he will morph from a bricklayer to a marksman. Significant improvements are surprises that cannot be assumed just because you want it to be so.

Based upon what?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
imagesCAY0HBX4.jpg

2010 Alhambra Catholic School Invitational Tournament All-tourament team (from left to right:
Michael Gbinije (Syracuse)
Victor Oladipo (Indiana)
Cederick Lindsay (Richmond)
Tyler Thornton (Duke)
Quinn Cook (Duke)

Grant will be easily over 10 pts per game this year. We dont know what he can do... he never had to do anything. this kid was an all world guard in high school, he can shoot. he just grew so darn much. I think you guys will be shocked at what he can do.

And although CJ is probably my favorite SU player ever... Grant will be drafted before him next year.

You can't hide ability it comes out in a few plays atleast 2-3 games a year. Grant averaged just under 4 points in 14 mpg last year.

Heres my assessment on Grant.
I just don' t think Grant has the drive, the pullup off the bounce or a good post up jumper as defenders will just play him real tight when he gets the ball and he doesn't have a great sidestep like Warrick or the jabstep like anthony does to back them down so he can pullup. He could however be a three point bomber though, that depends on his percentages. Kinda like Mccullough last year hes missing that bread and butter intimidation move. All that being Yet.

If he can get to his defenders side in the post, hes going all the way to the rim. He dunked everything from standstill and dropstep when he went up in highschool unlike even the best 6'11 guys. Hes thats kind of guy.

Its in his best interest to develop isolation drive from the perimeter as a NBA 3 or a way to get around his defenders more in the post before jumping as a 4. If he can even give us something like sophmore CJ's 8.5 ppg in around 27 minutes I would be happy. I think Sophmore CJ was ahead of him in skill by the end of his freshmen season without Grants 3 point shot though as he had a great sidestep and more dribble to go with his pullup. He also got open in the lane more instead of posting up. However, defensively as good as CJ is Grant is a Beast especially with his one on one reflexes, they make Baye Jealous.

I wholeheartedly expect CJ to be 16-18 ppg Gbinije and Dajuan to combine for atleast 25(that may be low) and Ennis to hit around 9ppg. And I expect that to happen not because they can share the ball but because 3 of those guys are true isolation scorers and Gbinije is a hardworking hardnosed guard who plays transition basketball 24/7 with a speed motor. And that my friend is awesome!! People don't know about Gbinije and Dajuan and that is why we are vastly underated.
I will say 50 points minimum between those 4, and I think that should be the basement goal. They have the potential to combine to score more. If Grant adds atleast another 10 ppg thats just rediculous icing on the icing on the cake.

Hey, let other people underestimate us.
We shouldn't.

I don't think most of you realize that this team might actually be better than last year's. And everyone underestimated us last year. I am guilty of that too.

But they came on at the right time. No reason to think that this team, with just as much talent can't do the same.
I'm not throwing anyone on this team under the bus until they prove otherwise.

Inside offense was our achilles heal last year. Yes, we had CJ ... but without an anchor/lost post guy to go to, I thought we (thankfully) overachieved. Our defense was just ridiculously good by the end of the year. We could match that this year with plenty of length inside and up top (last year we had a back court of 6'6 and 6'4 -- this year it'll probably be 6'2 and 6'7).

The variable is low post offense. With Rak/DC a year older, we have a better chance to create some inside balance. We'll know ricky tic if these guys are going to score the ball. Hell, Rak could survive on putbacks and a couple of 8 footers alone ... as long as DC can put up 10-12 points. If his offense is even decent, this will take a ton of pressure off our younger backcourt guys.

But I agree with Tee that there isn't enough respect in this thread for the talent we have coming in. Yes, we're young in the backcourt - again. But we overcame that last year, and TE, while maybe not a 6'6 lottery pick, is still the real deal (and a better shooter). MG and BJ are also going to surprise. I'm not disrespecting TC/but unless he's cranking out 40% from deep, he's a backup.

At the 2, BJ is going to play. MG has more size, a better body and one year in the program (RS); so he'll start at the 2 over BJ/TC. But TC might be the odd man out, with BJ's shooting, handling, scoring off the bounce and length. These skills will earn him minutes, as long as he picks up the defense.

Roberson is also going to contribute sooner than people think. He's one reason our front line is apple sweet this year. Unlike others, I think he'll backup CJ at SF (and Grant will back up Rak at the 4). Like CJ, Roberson's another stretch 3 - and neither of them will be afraid to step to the rim.

CJ played what 34-36mpg last year on a ten loss team? Most guys do that one year max.
It will be nice to have Roberson, Rak and BJ to spell him if this team can get ahead 15 points in ACC play here and there.

Starting 5-
Thets play with their heads. 6'7 6'7 6'7 6'8 6'9 swingmen.
biggrin.png

PG-Gbinije
SG-BJ
SF-CJ
PF-Roberson
Center-Grant.
Stop that motion/dribble

Take a timeout and pound it inside at the 14 minute mark to make them walk around with their heads down.
PG-Ennis
SG-Gbinije
SF-Fair
PF-Rak
Center-Dajuan

Third team- unstoppable isolation at the 9 minute mark so they stop trying
PG-Ennis
SG- Patterson/Gbinije
SF-BJ/Gbinije
PF-CJ
Center-Dajuan

Bring in Keita at the 41/2 minute mark with some kind of sign on his jersey that screams team captain to lead a unbeatable defense so they chuck up frustrated unmakable 3's
PG- Gbinije
SG- Patterson
SF- Grant
PF- Roberson/Rak
Center-Keita