2013-14 Starting 5 | Syracusefan.com

2013-14 Starting 5

TacoTime75

(mostly) Silent Observer
I was chatting with a friend earlier about how the squad is going to shape up next season.

I imagine that starting 5 will consist of:
Ennis
Gbinije
CJ
Rak
DC

With Grant and Baye first off the bench.

We are so deep this year that I think it may even cause some issues. Any thoughts?

I was chatting with a friend earlier about how the squad is going to shape up next season.

Ennis
Gbinije
CJ
Rak
DC

We are so deep this year that I think it may even cause some issues. Any thoughts?

That's very possible. I think it will come down to how much DC improves over the summer, particularly on defense. If he comes back and shows that we're not going to be significantly worse on defense when DC is in at C, as opposed to having Keita or Christmas at C, then I think we'll see JB go with your line-up to open the game. And then see either Christmas or Coleman come out for Grant, who'll be the first one in off the bench. If Coleman is still not quite there on defense, though, then we'll see Ennis, Mike G, CJ, Grant, and Christmas starting. Either way, I think it's a great position for us to be in. Either we'll have a very good defense team with some scoring pop with Grant and Christmas in, or we'll have an even more potent scoring team in there with DC in the low post. Plus tons of quality guys coming off the bench.

I think this would probably represent out "best" lineup, but I think it is more likely that we see Coleman and Rak start at the power positions.
Of my lineup, I would only replace Rak with DC2. But this is all a guessing game.

Of my lineup, I would only replace Rak with DC2. But this is all a guessing game.

My guess is that JB will bring Grant off the bench. He'll still play starter's minutes, but will continue the trend of us bringing a potent scoring threat off of the bench that we've enjoyed in recent years.

Grant and Rak won't bring offense at the four and the five together.
Dajuan and Roberson will but won't bring as much defense.

I think Ennis, Gbinije, Fair, Roberson/BJ, Dajuan will give us our best offensive lineup

Teams would double the perimeter more and cut down on our floaters/pullups in the lane to much with Rak and Grant out there. We would become to 3 point happy when we could have Dajuan pounding in there and Roberson/BJ forcing PF's to the baseline instead of doubling the lane.

My guess is that JB will bring Grant off the bench. He'll still play starter's minutes, but will continue the trend of us bringing a potent scoring threat off of the bench that we've enjoyed in recent years.
I agree with this.

Ennis
Gbinje
Fair
Rak
Dc

Ennis
MikeG
CJ
Grant
DC2 or Rak a toss up here for me. Cusefaninvirginia nailed my thoughts in this. How much has DC2 improved on D?

I could see both Rak and DC2 starting as we have seen the twin towers thing since Arinze and one leaving at the first whistle to be replaced by a forward who is the real starter. Grant this coming season.

I really have no reason to believe that Cooney will start over MikeG next year, this one puzzles me. A sooter who didn't shoot well and couldn't earn minutes competing against himself last year is going to start? Not saying he won't improve and have a great season or coareer but from what we saw he struggled even with the defense paying him little attention. He was pretty good defensively with quick hands and also showed that once his shot is falling he can be dangerous because he has some offensive skills to compliment that shot.

Grant and Rak won't bring offense at the four and the five together.
Dajuan and Roberson will but won't bring as much defense.

I think Ennis, Gbinije, Fair, Roberson, Dajuan will give us our best offensive lineup
Roberson's defense is a ton better than people think.
Remember this post, and sit back, enjoy the ride.

Roberson's defense is a ton better than people think.
Remember this post, and sit back, enjoy the ride.

Undoubtedly he's a good defender and will be here as well, when is the question. Forwards and centers struggle the most in JB's system on defense. CJ was passible as a freshman but made mistakes usually the overcommitting kind. Grant was pretty good but you could see the difference big time with James in there until he got suspended and I felt that Grant really started to get it.

Teams would double the perimeter more and cut down on our floaters/pullups in the lane to much with Rak and Grant both out there. We would become to 3 point happy at times as well, when we could have Dajuan pounding in there and Roberson/BJ forcing PF's to the baseline instead of doubling the lane.

That was the same big flaw with last years team CJ was stuck on the perimeter 24/7 because Southerland had little to no pullup off a few bounces, no post up midrange shot and we had no post up big. As a result Michigan stuffed MCW in the lane with a double and stopped one of Southerland/Fair and even with Triche playing one of his better games we still lost.

DC and Rak were the starters at the beginning of last year. Hard for me to believe JB will decide that, with another year under their belts, they're no longer starters. But I definitely agree that as soon as one of them makes a mistake Grant will come in play the bulk of the minutes.

I also expect Mike G to start over Cooney unless something miraculous happened to to Trevor over the summer.

I agree with this.

Ennis
Gbinje
Fair
Rak
Dc

This is my call as well. I'm hoping Silent G earns JB's trust and he's a starter but would not be surprised either way if Cooney starts or comes off the bench. I agree with RF's post above regarding Grant in the Microwave role. Let's hope Cooney's stroke and confidence is improved and he can be a marksman off the bench.

I agree with this.

Ennis
Gbinje
Fair
Rak
Dc

I agree with this too.

Ennis - has to start
Gbinije - I think he is just flat out better than Cooney
Fair - Given
Rak - Started as a freshman and sophmore, will start as a junior too
Coleman - would have started every game last year had he not gotten hurt. Will start again this year.

The one thing I'd like to add is we all hope Gbinije is good. We haven't seem him be good at all yet in college. He got virtually no floor time at Duke. He's an x-factor at this point, despite being a great high school player. It's not like the Wes Johnson situation either since we were able to get more practice info out of Manley as opposed to the Melo Center.

Ennis
Gbinije
CJ
Rak
DC

Ennis
Silent G
CJ
Grant
DC

The one thing I'd like to add is we all hope Gbinije is good. We haven't seem him be good at all yet in college. He got virtually no floor time at Duke. He's an x-factor at this point, despite being a great high school player. It's not like the Wes Johnson situation either since we were able to get more practice info out of Manley as opposed to the Melo Center.

100% valid. I actually heard some really good info recently about Gbinije, from a great source, that indicates that he's the prohibitive favorite to be the starting 2.

Ennis
Silent G
Fair
Grant
Coleman

By far our best lineup.

Do people even follow Coleman's off season work? Pains me to have a feeling that people consider him a disappointment or bust.

A scarier question: who will be the B team?

G - Buss
G - Cooney
F - BJ
F - Roberson
C - Keita

How many teams have legitimate 10-man rosters? JB has pretty much any type of player at his disposal. We better be preseason #1.

We have one true point guard. We lost our starting backcourt and another guy who started a lot and played a lot. Your pre-season #1 proclamation is unrealistic.

Ennis
Silent G
Fair
Grant
Coleman

By far our best lineup.

Do people even follow Coleman's off season work? Pains me to have a feeling that people consider him a disappointment or bust.

It's our best starting lineup but as RF and others said, JB will use Grant as a spark off the bench (and he'll play huge minutes too).