2014-2015 outlook | Syracusefan.com

2014-2015 outlook

gmacfor3

Walk On
Long time lurker, first time posting. First off, I just want to say that this is an outstanding board for insightful cuse hoops discussion, and I enjoy checking it out every day.

Before I discuss my thoughts on next season, I think it's important to reflect on a change in recruiting philosophy that has been made more apparent the last several years. JB and staff have always looked for long/athletic players to play their zone, but typical they recruited these type of players to man the 4 and 5 positions, and sometimes the 3. Years ago it was common for JB to play 3 players with guard like skills, which in turn required a smaller player to play the back line of the zone. Although it was frustrating to watch players like Josh Pace, Kueth Duany, Andy Rautins, etc. give up weakside rebounds, the trade off was a more fluid offense that had 3 players that could shoot and/or attack the basket. However, it was hard to say that the zone was ever truly a successful defense. Sometimes it would confuse a team enough that they would struggle to score, but more times than not it seemed to give up too many wide open threes and could be spread out too easily. Games were won on the offensive end.

That is until the last couple seasons. It seems like JB has made it a recruiting priority for all positions on the floor to be manned by a long athlete, including the guard spots. You can't argue that the fact that this shift has resulted in better defense...during last years postseason run and this entire season, the zone was a legitimate shut down defense...the advanced metrics back it up. The downfall has been on the offensive end. There is usually 3 players on the court at the same time who are 6'8 or taller, and while this is great for coverage in the zone and offensive rebounding, the problem has been spacing on the offensive end. Unless their name is Carmelo, most 6'8+ guys are not very comfortable or effective on the perimeter. Add in the fact that these same players have not provided a post presence lately, and you have crowded, ineffective floor spacing. The guards, who have not shot the ball very well from the perimeter the past few seasons, have also found it difficult to penetrate because the lane is crowded due to the lack of perimeter threats.

The game of basketball has changed. There are very few true post players in the game today. Many teams play with four guards on the floor at the same time. "Stretch 4" is a term that is so commonly used today, where as years ago that player was just known as a small forward. To be an elite offensive team in today's game, you need to have 3-4 players on the floor that can shoot it and/or handle it. While I do like what the 2015 class seems to be bringing in (tall/long players who are said to be good shooters), I feel like Syracuse is going to continue to struggle on the offense end due to the types of players they are recruiting and putting on the floor at the same time. With all that said, the Cuse is WINNING an unprecedented number of games over the last 5 or so years, so I feel like an entitled fan to complain. Yes, the offense has struggled and likely will continue to due so, especially if teams force us into a half-court game. However, I believe the defense will continue to be a nightmare for opposing teams and therefore JB and company will remain among the elite teams in college basketball for years to come!

Now my thoughts on next season...while I definitely would have loved to see Ennis and Grant return for what would be a LOADED team, we need to understand the nature of the beast. If we as fans want successful seasons, we have to realize we are going to lose our young, talented players to the NBA. Hopefully the age limit will be raised in the near future, but that is for a whole different discussion. Regardless, I'm extremely excited about the potential of next years team.

Guards: Kaleb Joseph will not be Tyler Ennis. He will make a bunch of mistakes, especially early in the season, and maybe that is a good thing. The best thing about Ennis might have also been a negative for last years team in that he was always under control and rarely took chances pushing tempo. I think that's what makes him attractive to NBA scouts, but during the 2nd half of last season when the team struggled to score, Ennis was not able to create easy baskets for his teammates in transition. I think Joseph will push the ball more, which will lead to frustrating turnovers, but also exciting plays. Should be fun to watch him progress!
Trevor Cooney needs to diversify his game, no doubt about it. However, lets not forget that how good he was for half the season, and he still has two years of eligibility left. I think Cooney will be on an all-ACC team before he graduates. Ron Patterson is the wild card here. He could be a great energy guy off the bench who brings some length, athleticism and shooting ability. Or he could be someone who enters JB's doghouse early in the season and never leaves. We will see!

Guard/Forward: Silent G should be the perfect jack of all trades next season. I really wish the cuse had a back up point guard because I feel that having to play the point holds G back and makes him somewhat tentative. He is definitely at his best playing the 2 or the 3. Especially if he plays the three, because although somewhat short for the backside of the zone, he gives us a third player who can dribble/shoot. We saw flashes of what he could do in the first half of the game at Duke and the Dayton game. If he becomes confident and aggressive...look out! We are talking about a former top 30 recruit. BJ Johnson is another player who has a world of potential. I see him having a Southerland type career in which he gets better every year, and becomes a real weapon by the time he is a senior. Although I think he will be a better ball handler/creator than Southerland, they have similar athleticism and shooting ability.

Forwards: Tyler Roberson should be the next in line to make the sophomore leap at the Cuse! This kid can play, he was just too afraid of making a mistake this past year. If you've played the game, you know what it is like when that leash is lengthened...the tentativeness goes away and the talent shines. Roberson could be the next talented youngster to jump early to the NBA. Chris McCollough is potentially the most talented recruit since Melo. He is perfect for the 2-3 zone. He can shoot from the outside, run like a pg, and jump out of the gym. If he consistently plays determined, he should be on the ACC all-rookie team. If he doesn't, we could be looking at the next Rakeem Christmas.

Centers: Speaking of Rakeem Christmas, at this point we've realized what he is and what he isn't. He is not going to be a double-double machine, and will commit silly fouls way too often. But he has developed a jump hook with both hands, and has improved (although slightly) each year, so it is not out of the question to expect 7-8 points, 7-8 rebounds, and 2-3 blocks a game from him next year. Sign me up for that. Dajuan Coleman's health, as scary as this may sound, is probably the most important off-season development for this team. He's already dropped 25 lbs. without being able to workout. Obviously the SU staff feels if he can get lighter it will help keep him healthy, and should make him a better player. He struggled getting off the ground and moving laterally when healthy (if he ever truly was) the last two seasons...the loss of weight should help improve that. Imagine if he and Christmas can both put up the afore mentioned numbers...what a great center combo that will be. I don't feel Obokoh is going to be ready to play significant minutes next season (hopefully he gets that 4th year back), so it is imperative for Coleman to regain his health.

Sorry this was long and rambling and possibly somewhat repetitive of what may have already been stated on this board. I am just very excited for the potential on next years team. There are so many unknowns, and while they may not contend for a national championship, they should improve as the season goes on. Nevertheless it will be another exciting winter in CNY!

You should lurk less and post more. Nice analysis.

I think the staff's biggest strategic failure in recruiting is that they have been slow to recognize the transition to one and dones ( by one & done I am saying one season as a starter or with starter's minutes & not necessarily just one season in the program) by the "second" tier talent (kids ranked 25 to 50) which is really where our recruiting strength lies, since we rarely seem to get the Top Ten mega-talent kid. MCW was supposed to mentor Ennis. Ennis was supposed to mentor Joseph. Grant was supposed to mentor McCullough or else start along side of him. We were supposed to have gotten an extra year from Waiters. Maybe nobody expected to see these guys as seniors, but also nobody expected to see only one season of them with big minute roles.

We may be seeing a transition in recruiting strategy by the staff. Look at our next our incoming recruits - Richardson and Lydon can supposedly bomb - Howard is supposedly an all-purpose natural scorer. None of the three seems to have uber athleticism. So it looks to me like the staff still wants length, but is now willing to sacrifice some athleticism for better skill sets. I think this will work out great at two levels:

1. Less athleticism means that these kids will not be as attractive to the NBA, that drafts on potential alone.

2. Better skillsets should translate to better performance earlier in their careers. The rawer more athletic kids take time for the skills to catch up to the athleticism and by the time they do those kids are one & done - Grant & MCW being the perfect examples.

Yep. Terrific post. Very objective. You'll be mocked by some of the Orange-colored goggles here but stick to your guns!

You should lurk less and post more. Nice analysis.

I think the staff's biggest strategic failure in recruiting is that they have been slow to recognize the transition to one and dones ( by one & done I am saying one season as a starter or with starter's minutes & not necessarily just one season in the program) by the "second" tier talent (kids ranked 25 to 50) which is really where our recruiting strength lies, since we rarely seem to get the Top Ten mega-talent kid. MCW was supposed to mentor Ennis. Ennis was supposed to mentor Joseph. Grant was supposed to mentor McCullough or else start along side of him. We were supposed to have gotten an extra year from Waiters. Maybe nobody expected to see these guys as seniors, but also nobody expected to see only one season of them with big minute roles.

We may be seeing a transition in recruiting strategy by the staff. Look at our next our incoming recruits - Richardson and Lydon can supposedly bomb - Howard is supposedly an all-purpose natural scorer. None of the three seems to have uber athleticism. So it looks to me like the staff still wants length, but is now willing to sacrifice some athleticism for better skill sets. I think this will work out great at two levels:

1. Less athleticism means that these kids will not be as attractive to the NBA, that drafts on potential alone.

2. Better skillsets should translate to better performance earlier in their careers. The rawer more athletic kids take time for the skills to catch up to the athleticism and by the time they do those kids are one & done - Grant & MCW being the perfect examples.

Really well said. Good point in the possible transition in recruiting strategy. Shooters, scorers, versatile players with a skillset besides just long/athletic/jumping high.

Sherman Douglas or Pearl Washington wouldn't even get a sniff anymore.

short bench. big starter minutes. early win totals and the late season flameout.
that to me mostly sums up syracuse basketball 2013-14. perhaps best and easily forgotten
high season rankings and said early exit apparently trumped any bench player development.
well the chickens have now roosted. early exits leave cooney.gbinije and raxmas leading us into next season.
all three are split time role players. and all proven inconsistent.what... doom and gloom?
let's be real.

Centers- We will only have 1 center you can really count on(Rock), Coleman(I expect him to redshirt next year), Obokoh(no clue if he is ready to play at this level)

Forwards- Roberson(I expect him to make that 2nd year jump in production but he was unable to do almost anything his 1st year so i'm not sure how big that jump will be), McCullough(Very raw talent, scouting experts talk about when he plays hard he is a big time player but there are times when he stands and watches and we all know that won't fly with JB), Gbinijie(Does he have the ability to go from role player to one of the go to guys? I don't see him in that role), BJ Johnson(He could use 20-25lbs. this off season to play the back line of the 2-3)

Guards- Joseph(More athletic than Ennis and might be better at the rim but not a pure PG and with that will come a lot of turnovers and will he find himself on the bench or will JB let him play through the mistakes), Cooney(Great college 3pt shooters make almost 50% and over they last 1/2 of last season Cooney was below 30% so which Trevor Cooney is the real Trevor Cooney?),Patterson(2 things must improve for him to see playing time 1.)Defense-never played any D last year 2.)Consistent jump shot- made only 25% from 3 this past year)

Excellent comparison between Johnson and Southerland.

Also bumping this for others to take the time to read.

The single biggest question mark, for me, is if we can keep another shooter on the floor with cooney. If not, you're looking at last year all over again.

As you mention, the game is different. It's about scorers. It was painfully obvious watching other teams in march- teams had shooters. You need to play a 3 who can score from multiple spots and make long shots.

When we won in '03 we had three guys out there who could hit a 3. Yes we had Carmelo, but we also had 2 guards who were shooting threats.

The single biggest question mark, for me, is if we can keep another shooter on the floor with cooney. If not, you're looking at last year all over again.

As you mention, the game is different. It's about scorers. It was painfully obvious watching other teams in march- teams had shooters. You need to play a 3 who can score from multiple spots and make long shots.

When we won in '03 we had three guys out there who could hit a 3. Yes we had Carmelo, but we also had 2 guards who were shooting threats.

A small forward that can shoot and put it on the floor like Wes Johnson

I absolutely agree! You can throw all the X's and O's out the window...when you make shots, the game is very simple...when you don't, you have close games consistently like last season. That is why I see next year as being another struggle on the offensive end (transition will be key), with the zone being enough of a deterrent to help win 20+ games. 2015 could be a different story with the shooters they are bringing in. That should help properly space the floor which will open things up for the bigs as well as driving lanes for the guards.

A small forward that can shoot and put it on the floor like Wes Johnson
And don't forget, for much of the game Wes Johnson played the 4 while KJ played the 3. Four players who could shoot and/drive...that was a fun team to watch!

We do seem to be focusing on long guys who can shoot.

I think we start with Coleman at center, (if he's ready) and Christmas at PF, which is what we started with last year. That leave Roberson and McCullough to battle it out for the other forward spot. If Coleman isn't ready or doesn't play well then Christmas moves to center full-time and McCullough and Roberson are the forwards. If McCullough isn't ready, we'll see some of BJ Johnson at forward. But BJ will be our "instant offense" guy off the bench with Gbinije being the jack-of-all-trades guy. Joseph will be the point guard and Cooney and Paterson at shooting guard.

That could be a good team, maybe a very good team. But it's relying on an awful lot of new guys- freshmen or new starters. It could be like the 1996-97 team that had a lot of talented young players but who were not ready to compete at this level. It could be a team like this year's Kentucky team- not in the sense of a bunch of one-and-doners but a team that has a bumpy ride during the regular season and puts on a run at the end of the season. In other words: the opposite of this year's team.

What a wonderful write up and interesting thoughts! Is Lydon coming this year or next? I am afraid it is next year. Anyway, welcome aboard the board!