2014 ACC Power Rankings | Syracusefan.com

2014 ACC Power Rankings

Orangejet

Suds Peddlar
Based on returning talent from 2013, below is my amateurish football prediction for 2014.

Atlantic (FSU, Clemson, Cuse, Louisville, BC, NCS, Wake)
Coastal (UNC, Miami, GT, Pitt, Duke, VT, UVA)

I choose Cuse ahead of Louisville with no Bridgewater and if Strong leaves for Texas.

Both divisions need realignment to balance the top heavy Atlantic...

Coastal
1. Miami( Duke Johnson is back and their recruiting class is top 5 in the nation. Only question mark is who replaces Stephen Morris)
2. North Carolina (stacked with young talent and Fedora has recruited really well in 2 years)
3. Georgia Tech (Vad Lee is back and I think their D is pretty good and its a make or break year for Paul Johnson)
4. Pittsburgh- (they showed they have young talent in their bowl game)
5. Virginia Tech (they lose Logan Thomas, but that could be addition by subtraction and Beamer can recruit defensive talent)
6. Duke (I hate putting them here, but I have no choice I don't know about their defensive talent, but they will out-score some teams and I am fearful of them coming into the Dome next year.)
7. Virginia(If I was from Missouri I would say that they have Show Me they belong elsewhere even though they have a LOT of young talent coming into the program next year. London can recruit)

Atlantic
1. Florida State (Winston is back and their talent is incredible)
2. Clemson(they have the #1 duel threat QB recruit and I think they can replace Sammy Watkins)
3. Syracuse( we have a lot coming back and if the OL stays steady I think we can compete with #2 if Clemson struggles a bit the game being in Death Valley favors Clemson)
4. Louisville(no Bridgewater means they will be a 7-9 win team next year unless they have somebody I don't know about)
5. NC State ( year 2 for DoerenI think they are bowl team probably 6-7 wins next year.)
6. Boston College (losing Andre Williams and Chase Rettig hurts, but they have recruited good)
7. Wake Forest( year 1 for Clawson is a rebuild season)

Overall My Preseason ACC rankings right now.
1. FSU
2. Miami
3. North Carolina
4. Clemson
5. Georgia Tech
6. Pittsburgh
7. Syracuse
8. Louisville
9. Virginia Tech
10. Duke
11. NC State
12. Boston College
13. Virginia
14. Wake Forest

Coastal

4. Louisville(no Bridgewater means they will be a 7-9 win team next year unless they have somebody I don't know about)

And maybe no Chuck Strong.

Coastal
1. Miami( Duke Johnson is back and their recruiting class is top 5 in the nation. Only question mark is who replaces Stephen Morris)
2. North Carolina (stacked with young talent and Fedora has recruited really well in 2 years)
3. Georgia Tech (Vad Lee is back and I think their D is pretty good and its a make or break year for Paul Johnson)
5. Virginia Tech (they lose Logan Thomas, but that could be addition by subtraction and Beamer can recruit defensive talent)
6. Duke (I hate putting them here, but I have no choice I don't know about their defensive talent, but they will out-score some teams and I am fearful of them coming into the Dome next year.)
7. Virginia(If I was from Missouri I would say that they have Show Me they belong elsewhere even though they have a LOT of young talent coming into the program next year. London can recruit)

Atlantic
2. Clemson(they have the #1 duel threat QB recruit and I think they can replace Sammy Watkins)
3. Syracuse( we have a lot coming back and if the OL stays steady I think we can compete with #2 if Clemson struggles a bit the game being in Death Valley favors Clemson)
5. NC State ( year 2 for DoerenI think they are bowl team probably 6-7 wins next year.)
6. Boston College (losing Andre Williams and Chase Rettig hurts, but they have recruited good)

1. FSU
2. Miami
3. North Carolina
4. Clemson
5. Georgia Tech
6. Pittsburgh
7. Syracuse
8. Louisville
9. Virginia Tech
10. Duke
11. NC State
12. Boston College
13. Virginia
14. Wake Forest

Excellent post but I like the Orange better than the Panthers at the #6 spot...

Based on returning talent from 2013, below is my amateurish football prediction for 2014.

I choose Cuse ahead of Louisville with no Bridgewater and if Strong leaves for Texas.

I think both of you guys are not giving Duke enough credit. They have a really good offense, and are still a young team with a ton of talent returning. If the refs called pass interference properly, they surely would have beated Texas A&M in their bowl. I would be pretty bitter right now if I were a Dukie fan.

Coastal

13. Virginia
14. Wake Forest

But he has a lot of problems trying to coach. I think you've got us in the right place. At the beginning of 2013, we thought we had 1 sure win, 2 sure losses, and 9 games that could go either way. Our 2014 schedule is such that it will take a minor miracle to get 6 wins. UCLA, @BYU, @FSU, Louisville, @both Techs, there are 6 probable losses right there. Even playing Miami and UNC at home still makes it 8. And I don't think that Duke or Pitt will be walks in the park, either. 2-10 again? Won't be much of a surprise to us if that happened.

But he has a lot of problems trying to coach. I think you've got us in the right place. At the beginning of 2013, we thought we had 1 sure win, 2 sure losses, and 9 games that could go either way. Our 2014 schedule is such that it will take a minor miracle to get 6 wins. UCLA, @BYU, @FSU, Louisville, @both Techs, there are 6 probable losses right there. Even playing Miami and UNC at home still makes it 8. And I don't think that Duke or Pitt will be walks in the park, either. 2-10 again? Won't be much of a surprise to us if that happened.

yeah that schedule sucks. At least you have UCLA at home, those multi time zone trips are terrible and playing @BYU is a nightmare. We know first hand.

Duke will be stacked with Jrs and Srs. They will be just as good as the 2013 season.

The thing is though, I think the Coastal division will be tougher. I don't expect GT to be better with all the Srs gone, but they will give certain teams trouble because of their style and personnel matchups; Duke and UNC are among those teams.

That schedule is insane it makes sense why they kept London for more 1 year. Let him get those talented freshman into UVA and get destroyed and make it easy to fire him and give the next coach a little easier schedule for 2015.

I think both of you guys are not giving Duke enough credit. They have a really good offense, and are still a young team with a ton of talent returning. If the refs called pass interference properly, they surely would have beated Texas A&M in their bowl. I would be pretty bitter right now if I were a Dukie fan.
The ACC is going to have 9-12 bowl teams each year IMO, and Duke will take a little step back next year because they will have expectations unlike this year. I think they will win 6-8 games next year, but they need defensive recruits to stay on top.

I think your Atlantic is correct. I see Coastal as (Miami, Duke, UNC, Pitt, VT/GT, UVa). VT/GT placement will depend upon who wins that game.

Cheers,
Neil

Until Miami lives up to expectations they will just be power rating and early season first place. Every year I hear how the "U" is back and then they squeak by some middle of the pack teams and lose to one or two only halfway decent teams.

Duke will be stacked with Jrs and Srs. They will be just as good as the 2013 season.

The thing is though, I think the Coastal division will be tougher. I don't expect GT to be better with all the Srs gone, but they will give certain teams trouble because of their style and personnel matchups; Duke and UNC are among those teams.

Re Duke; Cockrell is the main loss, but the defensive backfield will be sophomores instead of freshmen more or less. So, no worries. Except for the DL, of course. With two good DEs, GT is toast. If only we had them.

Re Coastal; UVa is the outlier, everyone else is 1-6, which are all [a little] better than 3 (or 4) -7 Atlantic.

That schedule is insane it makes sense why they kept London for more 1 year. Let him get those talented freshman into UVA and get destroyed and make it easy to fire him and give the next coach a little easier schedule for 2015.

Not much easier in 2015 - ND, Boise, and @UCLA OOC. Oh wait! We also play you folks in C'ville. Maybe there's some hope after all. ;)

Coastal
Actually, Lee is transferring and Johnson may be gone too.

Coastal

Atlantic
Vad Lee is transferring.

Will Gardner will fill the void, had a 'Bama offer coming out of high school. He'll be a redshirt soph next season. He played in 5 games this season in relief of Bridgewater. Went 8 of 12 with 112 yards and 2 touchdowns. Devante Parker is passing on the draft. The Cardinals will be very good next year.

My rankings...

Coastal
1. Miami
2. North Carolina
3. Pitt
4. Duke
5. Virginia Tech
6. Georgia Tech
7. Virginia

Atlantic
1. Florida State
2. Louisville
3. Clemson
4. Syracuse
5. Boston College
6. NC State
7. Wake Forest

Without Vad Lee I would drop Ga. Tech to 6th in the Coastal. I don't think they will be as good next year now.

Clemson Loses their offense, Boyd, McDowell, and Watkins may be a junior, but without Boyd would be foolish not to leave.

Clemson consistently recruits this level of player though, I wouldn't expect them to lose much actual talent at the WR position. What will really hurt them is losing Boyd, maybe we can look forward to the Chad Kelly era. :D

Then again, people thought FSU losing Manuel was a big deal and look how that turned out for them...