2014 Tewaaraton Winners... | Syracusefan.com

2014 Tewaaraton Winners...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Inside Lacrosse‏@Inside_Lacrosse 10m
Taylor Cummings of Maryland wins the 2014 women's Tewaaraton Trophy

Bo2OEBYCMAAVLzd.jpg

Last edited:
Crazy that all Marr could muster with 2 Tewaaraton winners on his roster was 30-22 and 1 playoff win.

Crazy that all Marr could muster with 2 Tewaaraton winners on his roster was 30-22 and 1 playoff win.

Crazy that we were disinterested in the recruitment of 2 Tewaarton winners b/c they insisted on a package deal that would have included a likely All ACC caliber player.

I mean, like, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest crazy.

Marr's overrated as a coach and has been for a long time. Besides the Thompsons they didnt reall have much support besides the Goalie who is good but far from elite. The lack of a faceoff guy (sounds familiar) any semblance of a defense and some good middies pretty much doomed Albany to its fate.

Albany finally brings in a pretty decent offensive player this fall from I believe the Buffalo area but they lose Myles and Ty as well as some of the decent defenders they do have. Albany will be lucky to make the tournament next year and the year after that they are in huge huge trouble.

Crazy that we were disinterested in the recruitment of 2 Tewaarton winners b/c they insisted on a package deal that would have included a likely All ACC caliber player.

I mean, like, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest crazy.

That statement would apply to most of the Div 1 schools, Thompsons didnt go to ALbany for the fun of it, they went there because no other school offered all three and most thought they would never get eligible.

That statement would apply to most of the Div 1 schools, Thompsons didnt go to ALbany for the fun of it, they went there because no other school offered all three and most thought they would never get eligible.

Revisionist history tries to say this isn't true. Thanks for setting people straight Jeremy!

Revisionist history tries to say this isn't true. Thanks for setting people straight Jeremy!

Even LeBron James received a scholarship offer from Kentucky, and Winfred Walton from SU. In LeBron's case, why not offer a scholly. In Winfred's case, kids qualify late all the time.

Per the Thompson boys, 'SU didn't seem to give them much interest'. Two future Tewaarton winners weren't worth a few phone calls and a checkup. There is no way to revisionist history Desko into looking brilliant about this decision. I'll concede that a lot of coaches made the same mistake. Being on par with a lower peer group is no way to man a program with SU's expectations. Unless we're simply conceding that parity affects everyone but Duke.

We took the safe route. Got a coaches kid, and good attackmen, one great attackman, and an expected all worlder, but often injured, Randy Staats. We passed up on two Tewaarton winners and another solid player. They took a miserable program to within one whisker of the final four. We lost early to a program that barely existed when we last won an NC. But, yes, because of failures at a completely different position.

I'd feel better if the Thompsons would have said they were never interested in SU, and wanted to go elsewhere.

All that said, I'm not sure these 3 would have thrived at SU. One would have sat behind a coaches kid. And another may have been left at midfield. Who knows?

Last edited:
Funny how Winfred Walton couldn't qualify at Syracuse or Georgetown or Duke or UNC or Kansas or Kentucky ... but he was accepted at Fresno State.

Winfred Walton there is a name from the past! He never did anything at fresno but he was a top 5 kid coming out of HS. I remember how upset I was that he didn't get admitted at SU in hindsight it probably was best he didn't come here.

Winfred Walton there is a name from the past! He never did anything at fresno but he was a top 5 kid coming out of HS. I remember how upset I was that he didn't get admitted at SU in hindsight it probably was best he didn't come here.

He did come here, but he was never allowed to play because of something with his HS transcript or SAT scores.

1996-97%20Teamweb%281%29.jpg

First Row (Sitting L-R): Erik Frazier, Jason Hart, Ryan Blackwell, Jason Cipolla, Otis Hill, Todd Burgan, Winfred Walton, JeCarl Riggins, James May
Second Row (Standing L-R): Bernie Fine (Asst. Coach), Jim Boeheim (Head Coach), Louis Orr (Asst. Coach), Evan Vogel, Ramel Lloyd,Marius Janulis, Elvir Ovcina, Etan Thomas, LaSean Howard, Mike Hopkins (Asst. Coach), Todd Blumen (Grad Asst.)
Third Row (Standing L-R): Nancy Drake (Manager), David Schapiro (Manager), John Marczak (Manager), Scott Sandler (Admin. Asst.), Corey Parker (Trainer)

Last edited:
He did come here, but he was never allowed to play because of something with his HS transcript or SAT scores.

First Row (Sitting L-R): Erik Frazier, Jason Hart, Ryan Blackwell, Jason Cipolla, Otis Hill, Todd Burgan, Winfred Walton, JeCarl Riggins, James May
Second Row (Standing L-R): Bernie Fine (Asst. Coach), Jim Boeheim (Head Coach), Louis Orr (Asst. Coach), Evan Vogel, Ramel Lloyd,Marius Janulis, Elvir Ovcina, Etan Thomas, LaSean Howard, Mike Hopkins (Asst. Coach), Todd Blumen (Grad Asst.)
Third Row (Standing L-R): Nancy Drake (Manager), David Schapiro (Manager), John Marczak (Manager), Scott Sandler (Admin. Asst.), Corey Parker (Trainer)

He was recused from his Syracuse career when it was discovered that someone else took his SAT for him.

He and Idris Price. What a bummer.

Wearing 44, no less Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom