2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

Miami stinks. Philbin is terrible.
Dolphins have a lot of talent. Their HC sucks I agree. That team should win 9-11 games this year, but he is a terrible coach. I mean they lost to Jacksonville.
Buffalo looks like a 10-11 win team. Jets look like a 7-9 win team. Miami is going to go 8-8 with a playoff caliber roster.
If Big Ben is seriously hurt the wildcards will come out of West/East.
New England, Denver, Buffalo, Pittsburgh w/Big Ben right now in the AFC. Cincinnati are the kings of Sunday 1pm game. Andy Dalton is a great 1pm Sunday QB put him in primetime he becomes awful.

Miami stinks. Philbin is terrible.
If Drew Brees could get healthy a trade with Jets would be so smart for both sides. Especially during this season if they could make it work. This year's NFL Draft has 4 legit 1st round QBs Cardale Jones, Connor Cook, Jared Goff, Christian Hackenberg. The Saints could be in a rebuild mode.

Is there a more overrated team than the Dolphins?

Suh is a head case, Tannehill craps his pants whenever he gets pressured, and Kelvin Sheppard is one of their starting QBs.

Would Jim Harbaugh leave Michigan after one year and take the Colts job when it becomes available after this year.
Dolphins have so much talent their coach is wasting. Tannenhill, Landry, Cameron, Parker, Wake, Suh, Grimes.
Their coach is killing such a great foundation.

I'm not sold on Tannehill, never have been, but you can't judge a QB that has never had a functional offensive line.

If Drew Brees could get healthy a trade with Jets would be so smart for both sides. Especially during this season if they could make it work. This year's NFL Draft has 4 legit 1st round QBs Cardale Jones, Connor Cook, Jared Goff, Christian Hackenberg. The Saints could be in a rebuild mode.

If Brees was going to be traded this year, it was going to be in the offseason IMO. They can get one of those QBs even with Brees leading the way, and it appears that they don't want to be stuck throwing a rookie to the wolves considering they reportedly wanted to trade up for Mariota so that he could sit behind Brees and develop.

I'm not even sure how much New Orleans would get for him at this point in his career. He struggled down the stretch last year, struggled so far this year, and has a massive cap hit.

I think it's pretty funny that coaches have such massive egos and believe in their systems to the death. Yet deep down they pretty much admit to only being as good as their QB. Hence big names avoiding certain gigs like the plague while falling over themselves to grab the Indy job (not that this has happened yet but obviously it will). God I hate that team.

Tannehill is a tough one. He stinks vs the Bills which I like. I also respect advanced metrics which love him. Every time I watch him though I never see him complete a pass downfield like ever, despite a great arm. I know his OL was legit awful his rookie year but since then it's been merely kinda bad. If I've learned anything over the years it's that every fan base thinks they have the worst OL, the worst coordinators, and the most underrated WR/RB in the league.

If Brees was going to be traded this year, it was going to be in the offseason IMO. They can get one of those QBs even with Brees leading the way, and it appears that they don't want to be stuck throwing a rookie to the wolves considering they reportedly wanted to trade up for Mariota so that he could sit behind Brees and develop.

I'm not even sure how much New Orleans would get for him at this point in his career. He struggled down the stretch last year, struggled so far this year, and has a massive cap hit.

Saints fan here. Brees demise is greatly exaggerated IMO. He hurt his shoulder last week and now suddenly everybody is screaming he's losing arm strength. His arm was fine week one and all last year when he threw 40 TD's. If he rehab's and gets his arm strength back he can help a team.
He's the only player they have that is above average at any position offense or defense.

The Saint's stink I agree, but the offensive line is terrible, his receivers are average(they traded the one weapon he had), and the running backs are average. We have bottom 5 talent. I agree the Saints should consider trading him, because they need a complete overhaul. I think he could turn a few of teams into immediate Super Bowl contenders (Bills, Texans, Jets)

Saints fan here. Brees demise is greatly exaggerated IMO. He hurt his shoulder last week and now suddenly everybody is screaming he's losing arm strength. His arm was fine week one and all last year when he threw 40 TD's. If he rehab's and gets his arm strength back he can help a team.
He's the only player they have that is above average at any position offense or defense.

The Saint's stink I agree, but the offensive line is terrible, his receivers are average(they traded the one weapon he had), and the running backs are average. We have bottom 5 talent. I agree the Saints should consider trading him, because they need a complete overhaul. I think he could turn a few of teams into immediate Super Bowl contenders (Bills, Texans, Jets)

Regardless of what he can do when healthy, the simple fact of the matter is that he's either struggled while healthy down the stretch last year, or he played hurt for like the last month of the season a year ago and is hurt again now. At his age, that kinda stuff becomes a major concern, especially if you're a team that's acquiring him and then paying him as much as he's due to receive. The rumors of trading him for the #1 pick this past offseason were so silly. I can't imagine a team would surrender a top 10 or so pick for him anymore unless they're extremely desperate.

And even if they could, I don't think New Orleans wants to move him anyways. He's the guy that keeps fans showing up to see them play.

They have some good players, and I think you underrate their offensive line (for example, I believe Armstead has rated out as one of the best tackles in the NFL so far this year), but the defense is simply a mess and shows no signs of improving really. I think New Orleans is simply stuck in that 6-8 win range until Brees retires or leaves as a free agent and then they'll hopefully start to rebuild.

Anyways, as a Bucs fan, it'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Regardless of what he can do when healthy, the simple fact of the matter is that he's either struggled while healthy down the stretch last year, or he played hurt for like the last month of the season a year ago and is hurt again now. At his age, that kinda stuff becomes a major concern, especially if you're a team that's acquiring him and then paying him as much as he's due to receive. The rumors of trading him for the #1 pick this past offseason were so silly. I can't imagine a team would surrender a top 10 or so pick for him anymore unless they're extremely desperate.

And even if they could, I don't think New Orleans wants to move him anyways. He's the guy that keeps fans showing up to see them play.

They have some good players, and I think you underrate their offensive line (for example, I believe Armstead has rated out as one of the best tackles in the NFL so far this year), but the defense is simply a mess and shows no signs of improving really. I think New Orleans is simply stuck in that 6-8 win range until Brees retires or leaves as a free agent and then they'll hopefully start to rebuild.

Anyways, as a Bucs fan, it'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Brees was hurt at the end of last year, that's been publicized in some circles, but not nationally. You got me on Armstead. Strief is a turnstile at this point in his career and is the reason Brees is hurt. The Unger/Graham trade looks awful for both sides right now. The one weakness Brees has is he tends to not handle pressure in his face well because he is undersized, and the line looks worse this year than last year.

I like Brandin Cooks as a slot receiver, but he is to undersized to be a #1, Colston is a shell of his former self and Ben Watson was in his prime with Tom Brady in 2004. That was 11 years ago.

I actually thought coming into this year the defense had more talent than the offense outside of Brees, but it's the same old crap we have seen since Gregg Williams was forced out by Goodell because of "bountygate".

The Buc's have more talent than the Saints thats for sure. I know the O Line stinks for you guys as well, but Winston couldn't walk in with better weapons than Evans, Jackson and Sefarian-Jenkins. The Dline for the Bucs is pretty impressive to, but then again it could of just been the Saints Oline that made it look that way.

Last edited:
If Brees will restructure his contract he isn't finished. He never had a huge arm and the Dome helped him but his intelligence and with the NFL being QB could win a SB with the Texans or Jets D behind him. He would need to accept a salary like 10-15 million per yr instead of 20-25 which is where his cap hit is right now.
Jets should be all over Brees if he is healthy. They are literally a QB away from competing with NE.

If Brees will restructure his contract he isn't finished. He never had a huge arm and the Dome helped him but his intelligence and with the NFL being QB could win a SB with the Texans or Jets D behind him. He would need to accept a salary like 10-15 million per yr instead of 20-25 which is where his cap hit is right now.
Jets should be all over Brees if he is healthy. They are literally a QB away from competing with NE.

He's never had a Matt Stafford/Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady arm, but he's always been one of the most accurate deep throwers. Hard to be accurate throwing deep with below average weapons though. *Hint Hint* Mickey Loomis.

If Brees leaves, Payton is gone too IMO. I think Payton would be a great fit in Indy for Andrew Luck if the Colts indeed want to make a change after the season. New Orleans problem isn't either of these two guys, but Mickey Loomis definately needs to be shown the door, before the season ends in my preferance. I know he did a great job turning the Saints into what they were, but his biggest signings on defense especially have been huge busts over the past two or three years. Gallette and Byrd are the first two that come to mind.

He's never had a Matt Stafford/Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady arm, but he's always been one of the most accurate deep throwers. Hard to be accurate throwing deep with below average weapons though. *Hint Hint* Mickey Loomis.

If Brees leaves, Payton is gone too IMO. I think Payton would be a great fit in Indy for Andrew Luck if the Colts indeed want to make a change after the season. New Orleans problem isn't either of these two guys, but Mickey Loomis definately needs to be shown the door, before the season ends in my preferance. I know he did a great job turning the Saints into what they were, but his biggest signings on defense especially have been huge busts over the past two or three years. Gallette and Byrd are the first two that come to mind.
2013 onward is where Bountygate killed the Saints. NO needs to blow it up. Bress cap number is just too high to build a team around him. Brady has always taken a discount for the Pats.
Saints draft last year could be the foundation for the future.

BTW would the Saints trade Keenan Lewis he would be the missing link between the Pats really winning it all. Lewis at CB w/Butler would shore up the Pats main weakness. Saints could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him and it could happen.

Brees was hurt at the end of last year, that's been publicized in some circles, but not nationally. You got me on Armstead. Strief is a turnstile at this point in his career and is the reason Brees is hurt. The Unger/Graham trade looks awful for both sides right now. The one weakness Brees has is he tends to not handle pressure in his face well because he is undersized, and the line looks worse this year than last year.

I like Brandin Cooks as a slot receiver, but he is to undersized to be a #1, Colston is a shell of his former self and Ben Watson was in his prime with Tom Brady in 2004. That was 11 years ago.

I actually thought coming into this year the defense had more talent than the offense outside of Brees, but it's the same old crap we have seen since Gregg Williams was forced out by Goodell because of "bountygate".

The Buc's have more talent than the Saints thats for sure. I know the O Line stinks for you guys as well, but Winston couldn't walk in with better weapons than Evans, Jackson and Sefarian-Jenkins. The Dline for the Bucs is pretty impressive to, but then again it could of just been the Saints Oline that made it look that way.

Yeah, I'm trying to remain optimistic about Tampa, and I like Jameis a lot and think he's played pretty well so far (he had a brutal start against Tennessee, but literally everybody on the entire team sucked that day), but it's honestly depressing rooting for them sometimes. The offensive line did an admirable job yesterday on JJ Watt (snapped his games with a sack streak), but there's always something with Tampa. Yesterday, Mike Evans dropped 4 or 5 passes on his own, and his teammates combined for another 5 or 6 drops. The kicker missed a PAT and two or three field goals. The penalties that they're getting are just absurd. Got caught making illegal subs/12 men on the field 3 or 4 times yesterday. 3 or 4 defensive holdings while still not being able to contain Houston's receivers. And Houston's O-Line absolutely made Tampa's defense their bitch yesterday. Alfred Blue carved them up so badly. It's just borderline unwatchable. And losing Sefarian-Jenkins for 4-6 weeks blows.

Just read an article about the Giants feeling they have the stuff to stop the Bills Read Option.. I'm a pretty big Buffalo Bills fan and I don't really recall us running much read option so far this year? I'm kind of confused by that article. Do they think we're going to run it against them?

So far this year TT has been a pocket passer who scrambles when necessary and our handoffs are pretty straight forward with play action built off them.

2013 onward is where Bountygate killed the Saints. NO needs to blow it up. Bress cap number is just too high to build a team around him. Brady has always taken a discount for the Pats.
Saints draft last year could be the foundation for the future.

I wonder if the Saints will really let either of those guys go, will be interesting to see. Brees is such a HUGE fixture in the community and Payton had won a lot of games for them but when he left NOLA and really set up his main residence in Dallas it really rubbed people wrong way down there. I could see them allowing him to overhaul his staff and giving him some more time, but Brees is starting to look old as well. Be interesting...

I wonder if the Saints will really let either of those guys go, will be interesting to see. Brees is such a HUGE fixture in the community and Payton had won a lot of games for them but when he left NOLA and really set up his main residence in Dallas it really rubbed people wrong way down there. I could see them allowing him to overhaul his staff and giving him some more time, but Brees is starting to look old as well. Be interesting...
I wouldn't fire Payton but the Saints may need to if they want to get rid of Brees. They could get something for Brees and they aren't going to win a SB for atleast 2 years. I would deal the guy to a team that needs a QB NYJ or Houston and everyone wins.
Keeping Brees because of the community is dumb as his cap number is insane and the team paying the guy a high salary in a rebuild is dumb.
Payton could be a guy the NY Giants look after Coughlin is gone after this year. He coached in NYG organization when they made the SB in 2001.

I wouldn't fire Payton but the Saints may need to if they want to get rid of Brees. They could get something for Brees and they aren't going to win a SB for atleast 2 years. I would deal the guy to a team that needs a QB NYJ or Houston and everyone wins.
Keeping Brees because of the community is dumb as his cap number is insane and the team paying the guy a high salary in a rebuild is dumb.
Payton could be a guy the NY Giants look after Coughlin is gone after this year. He coached in NYG organization when they made the SB in 2001.

Not your typical community with what the city has gone through and what Brees has done ther. Like I said, I expect brees to retire a saint but you never know.

Has he ever not had below average weapons? The Super Bowl team was Colston/Moore/Henderson.

Andrew Luck has joined Drew Brees as the latest QB to have a bad shoulder...

Andrew Luck has joined Drew Brees as the latest QB to have a bad shoulder...
Colts are getting karma for their clown of an owner and organization. That division may need 8 wins to win it.
BTW what can you tell me about Akiem Hicks is he a player or just a body?
Hooman is a OL man playing TE. He is a decent player but just a piece.

Colts are getting karma for their clown of an owner and organization. That division may need 8 wins to win it.
BTW what can you tell me about Akiem Hicks is he a player or just a body?
Hooman is a OL man playing TE. He is a decent player but just a piece.

Familiar with Hooman. The writing was on the wall for him when they added Chandler. Can't believe the Saints couldn't get more for Hicks. Great trade for the Pats, terrible for the Saints.

Hicks is a big man. Not sure if he is as big as Wilfork was, but he's big, and talented. Rob Ryan never got as much out of him as he is capable. He was benched week two against Tampa, and now the Saints are looking to play all their young guys on defense up front. Still Hicks is only 25, makes $480,000 base this year, and I wouldn't be surprised of he turns it around in New England because the Patriots always win these type of trades. I'm assuming the Pats want him to be able to take on defenders so their linebackers and D Ends can make plays. If that is the case, he is a perfect fit. He will help your run defense and has the capability to provide pressure up the middle. Is he motivated? That is the question.

Our field position has been insane and 3 points

Unreal bad game today