2016/17 Starting Lineup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2016/17 Starting Lineup

I'm not "calling for him to be gone" at all, but I think its probably going to happen and that's prob for the best.

for years I've bitched about playing time for players, but I can't ever remember someone so buried in PT, from starter to scrub mins, who came back to the front.

he can transfer, sit out a year and still have 2 years left to resurrect his career, and I wish him well if he so chooses.

if Chino hadn't of gotten robbed of a year and would have to sit out 1 just to play only 1, I'd think he would be gone too.

If he does transfer, we will certainly be very thin in numbers at Guard. We'd be losing 3 guards and gaining 1.

I agree that someone going from starter to scrub minutes and then later coming back to a big role again is pretty rare. Allen Griffin is the closest example I can think of, but even in his Jr. year where he didn't play that much he was at least reasonably effective when he did.

However, Joseph was a starter by default last year as he was really the only option and that's not a situation we've often been in either.

If he does transfer, we will certainly be very thin in numbers at Guard. We'd be losing 3 guards and gaining 1.

I agree that someone going from starter to scrub minutes and then later coming back to a big role again is pretty rare. Allen Griffin is the closest example I can think of, but even in his Jr. year where he didn't play that much he was at least reasonably effective when he did.

However, Joseph was a starter by default last year as he was really the only option and that's not a situation we've often been in either.

I expect us to be thin but extremely talented at guard next year. even if we were deep, jimmy rolls how jimmy rolls.

looking at next years roster, I think the biggest "hole" is an outside shooter/good wing defender to back up Tyler at the 3 and help keep Mal up top. taking a longer range view than just next year, the 4-year scoopish PG I mentioned before is more needed.

I expect Lyndon at the 3 Robby at the 4 Chubaka in the paint Howard at the point and Battle at the 2. If malachi gunner is back he starts at the 2 Battle moves to point with Howard coming in as the sixth
This is a tough one to sort through but I have to say all the shooters in the world are not of much value unless you can get the ball to them in the right spot at the right time. This means Howard must be on the floor unless Battle is equal to or above Howard as a game manager and floor general. Look at Ennis, we did not need him to be a driver or scoring threat, just manage the game and distribute the ball. We need a big man in the middle DC or Chukwu, Roberson must be there as a senior 4, we have two solid candidates with experience at 3 Lydon or Richardson, with Battle or Richardson at the 2 and Howard or Battle at PG. In my mind it boils down to Lydon, Richardson and Battle for two starting positions. Maybe Battle is best as 6th man like Dion, as others suggested, to relieve Howard or Richardson.

If DC returns, he starts. JB would not do that to senior who worked so hard just to get back to playing.

We're still down 2 scholarships, and our Hall of Fame coach will be retiring very soon. I'd like to see one last run before he goes, and if that's going to happen, we don't have any room for "passengers" on this team. Everyone has to contribute.

If DC returns, he starts. JB would not do that to senior who worked so hard just to get back to playing.
I agree, and would envision him playing big minutes, as he is more than a serviceable rebounder and still developing as a scorer. I'm not sure why many are assuming that Chukwu will immediately displace Coleman and relegate him to a backup role. They are two completely different players and would seemingly offer JB much flexibility at the position.

Wouldn't be surprised if the lineup next year is:

Howard
Battle
Lydon
Roberson
Chukwu/Coleman

Coleman/Chukwu
Moyer
Thompson?
Chino?
Joseph? Or a grad transfer

The way Malachi has played during ACC play, I would not be shocked if he turned pro, especially with what this program has seen the past few years in this area. I think he would possibly be the preseason ACC POY if he stays, but if he stays hot, he may rise that to the NBA. Is he ready? Nope. Does that matter? Nope. What's in our favor is the position he plays, and that he's had a good but not great season. A year of being the lead dog would do a ton for his pro value, but he may do enough the rest of this year. Let's hope he stays.

I find it hard to believe Joseph will be back. it seems best for both sides to move on and KJ to find a better place for him to succeed. Maybe he'll stay but it sure seems unlikely. And if he does leave, JB needs to add another guard, likely a grad transfer.

Depends on Battles game and early scoring abilities. If he is a great scorer I see him starting with Malachi at sg/sf. If not he will be point.

We need shooters in the corner we are losing alot with Gbinije and Cooney. With Malachi moving to the first option I don't want to see him forced into the corner to much, and that is Lydons least favorite spot. Hopefully we see some progression there.

Not sure we are going to see a back to the basket game from any of our bigs, but we will be better scoring inside.Maybe Lydon if he puts on 10-15 pounds. We will need to see dribbling ability from Lydon, Roberson, Moyer together on the wings to go with a big lineup. JB typically doesn't go without three good ball handlers on the floor, and without a back to the basket isolation guy and in a scoring league like the ACC probably even more so.

Roberson is going to be a STUD next year no matter what scoring option he is.

My thoughts on Battle. Hes a stud, but I am not sold yet on his strength to finish in the lane. Malachi has much more built upperarm strength and Roberson much more of a vertical at this point. Asking a freshmen to have the dribble drive like Gbinije is asking alot, but he could be up to the task. He is really good at forcing his man to overplay and underplay him, and takes advantage of that so well, that he may even be able to really slow the ball down and find assists in the lane becaue of it. However, at the college level it is best to attack the rim ferociously instead of hesitating, and he will be up against alot tougher secondary defenders. I do think we will conform the teams strengths and chemistry around him, similar to how we are doing with Malachi and Lydon this year. Battle,Moyer, and Lydon (because roberson is a pf not a sf) are really the X factors to how our chemistry will shuffle right now, imo.
Re: if Lydon puts on 10-15 pounds---if he doesn't add 15 lbs of muscle by next October, then something is amiss with the S&C program. He is a wiry athletic guy and I don't think 15 lbs would affect his quickness at all. I looking forward to next year when he won't get pushed out of the paint and can really play both inside and out

Jasoncuse said:
Wouldn't be surprised if the lineup next year is: Howard Battle Lydon Roberson Chukwu/Coleman Coleman/Chukwu Moyer Thompson? Chino? Joseph? Or a grad transfer The way Malachi has played during ACC play, I would not be shocked if he turned pro, especially with what this program has seen the past few years in this area. I think he would possibly be the preseason ACC POY if he stays, but if he stays hot, he may rise that to the NBA. Is he ready? Nope. Does that matter? Nope. What's in our favor is the position he plays, and that he's had a good but not great season. A year of being the lead dog would do a ton for his pro value, but he may do enough the rest of this year. Let's hope he stays. I find it hard to believe Joseph will be back. it seems best for both sides to move on and KJ to find a better place for him to succeed. Maybe he'll stay but it sure seems unlikely. And if he does leave, JB needs to add another guard, likely a grad transfer.

That team would struggle to win 18 games.

There is a benefit of what we have now (3 perimeter players, each of whom can shoot & drive). Roberson can not do that; Lydon will likely add 15 lbs, and be stronger inside.
Which means JB could go with Lydon at C, Roberson at PF, and a 3 guard combination of MR, Battle and Howard. Chukwu off the bench at center. Moyer & Thompson with roles to be determined. It is all speculation until we see what Chukwu can actually do.
Chukwu isn't coming off the bench.

Well, that is speculation. How does he compete now, in practices, man to man vs Lydon or Coleman or Chinoso? There is another thread on this subject -- lots of opinions, no observations.

Why not? DC won't be coming off the bench after being a starter his entire career, for the most part.

Chukwu also isn't exactly a finished product. He's going to be more defensive sub, interior nuisance than quality starter unless he's improved tenfold since his PC season.

I've seen this and that "Moyer starts" from either Bees or Jake.

I'm curious as what that team looks like. I don't see how Boeheim benches a guy that's going to average a double-double as a senior and a senior C who has been in the program for five seasons.

Edited to add: It was Bees.

Last edited:
I've seen this and that "Moyer starts" from either Bees or Jake.

I'm curious as what that team looks like. I don't see how Boeheim benches a guy that's going to average a double-double as a senior and a senior C who has been in the program for five seasons.
I don't believe that Moyer starts.

Why not? DC won't be coming off the bench after being a starter his entire career, for the most part.

Chukwu also isn't exactly a finished product. He's going to be more defensive sub, interior nuisance than quality starter unless he's improved tenfold since his PC season.
Because we aren't going to allow teams to just throw the ball inside and score next year when we have a 7-2 shot blocker on the team. He is an elite shot blocker. Those guys don't sit.

Chewy will not start if DCII returns. by next year DCII would be a force. Chewy,s time will depend on his skills and the situation.

Because we aren't going to allow teams to just throw the ball inside and score next year when we have a 7-2 shot blocker on the team. He is an elite shot blocker. Those guys don't sit.
Aren't we talking starting lineups? Not who will play more.

I'm not worried about line up right now, but I just want to point out that kmart has a great avatar!!

Well, that is speculation. How does he compete now, in practices, man to man vs Lydon or Coleman or Chinoso? There is another thread on this subject -- lots of opinions, no observations.

JB has already said that he is going to be a premier shot blocker in the nation next year. I think he's starting. Remember when Wes Johnson became eligible, and Paul Harris was ahead of him on the depth chart? How did that turn out?

I don't believe that Moyer starts.

It all depends on Roberson. If he keeps up his consistency through the end of the year, he will hold off Moyer. I see Lydon starting because we need shooters who can space the floor. Moyer and Roberson are somewhat similar players, in that neither is a 3 point threat. Both work around the rim, and sometimes out to the foul line, with their jump shots.

The way Malachi has played during ACC play, I would not be shocked if he turned pro, especially with what this program has seen the past few years in this area. .

I know we've gone thru this the past few years with Ennis and Grant. With Ennis, we started 25-0 and he wasn't going to see his stock rise any higher. He was the star of that team, and got tons of national press.

Grant, that was disappointing. He really could have used one more year as the star forward, and not just C.J. Fair's sidekick. I think he would have gone 10 spots higher in the draft. With McCullough, I just shake my head. Donte Greene, I guess he needed to take care of his baby mama, but he blew it, too. Leaving early from an NIT team is not going to get you in the Lottery. Wasn't he the last guy in the green room?

If Malachi leaves this year, I would be really surprised. We are not having a great season that would get lots of media attention, and he is not in any first round draft boards that I've seen. Next year, he will be a star. If it was me, I would come back.

I am not writing Joseph off on returning next year.

He really is a very level headed individual. Quitting is not in his vocabulary even in terms of no chance. Hes kind of like that king from the second chapter of lord of the rings who said Ride Out With Me.

However, he has to find ways to make others around him better or the team better offensively.
imo he will never be your typical glue guy because of his size and strength, whereas a guy like Cooney passed as a glue guy before going back to his old shooting routine for the first third of the season.

I know we've gone thru this the past few years with Ennis and Grant. With Ennis, we started 25-0 and he wasn't going to see his stock rise any higher. He was the star of that team, and got tons of national press.

Grant, that was disappointing. He really could have used one more year as the star forward, and not just C.J. Fair's sidekick. I think he would have gone 10 spots higher in the draft. With McCullough, I just shake my head. Donte Greene, I guess he needed to take care of his baby mama, but he blew it, too. Leaving early from an NIT team is not going to get you in the Lottery. Wasn't he the last guy in the green room?

If Malachi leaves this year, I would be really surprised. We are not having a great season that would get lots of media attention, and he is not in any first round draft boards that I've seen. Next year, he will be a star. If it was me, I would come back.
oh i agree with all that. I just wouldn't be surprised if Mal decided to go. If the kid finishes strong and really builds a name for himself over the next month-month and a half, who knows. If I were him, I'd come back, I'd use the summer to bulk up and continue refining my game, and I'd be ACC preseason POY. He will have a great shot to be a 20+ PPG scorer and a lottery pick next year. I don't think he's going to crack much higher than the late 20's if he left his year.

top 10 is Malachi stays and I think he will if we make a decent tourney run. Him and Lydon's draft stock will only improve next year. We could potentially have three top 15 picks in our lineup including Battle if he can pull off the 1.