2016/17 Starting Lineup | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2016/17 Starting Lineup

I am not writing Joseph off on returning next year.

He really is a very level headed individual. Quitting is not in his vocabulary even in terms of no chance. Hes kind of like that king from the second chapter of lord of the rings who said Ride Out With Me.

However, he has to find ways to make others around him better or the team better offensively.
imo he will never be your typical glue guy because of his size and strength, whereas a guy like Cooney passed as a glue guy before going back to his old shooting routine for the first third of the season.

Well, I hope so, because we'd be a better team to have him around next year, but with a level head, as you say. With a good attitude, that he can still help this team, just like Allen Griffin held his head high, and ultimately his experience paid dividends and he became the leader of a pretty good team that exceeded expectations, his senior year with Damone Browne. I'd rather have 3 point guards than just 2 next year. Let the competition continue.

We can mask alittle defensive weakness at one of the forwards slots in the zone, but not center as easily. Got to have a True ready big and a backup.

What about running Chino 4-5 minutes at pf next year. Everytone thinks of him as only a center, but on that kind of night where we can't buy a bucket from outside or need alittle wideness in the lane you never know with him next to Chuckwu on the weakside. He runs a decent screen and roll. He really really needs to work on his instincts and reactions, but I think he could have a shot if they ever clicked.

We had 2 five-star McDonald's AA's at center in the last few years - Christmas and Coleman. Recruiting hasn't been the problem.

So we recruited Rak 6 years ago and DC 4 years ago, yes, it's been a problem. People can cite Mustafa all they want but he wasn't even a true 5.

This is college basketball.

I think DC2 will be back as well. Right now I find it hard to believe Joseph will be back - I think it's pretty evident at this point that it is in his best interest to move on.

So we recruited Rak 6 years ago and DC 4 years ago, yes, it's been a problem. People can cite Mustafa all they want but he wasn't even a true 5.

This is college basketball.

Bryant was a 5 star. Diagne was a 4 star. Lost schollies sucks.

Ok, and we have neither. Diagne was academics not lost scholarships. Bryant didn't want to be close to home.

We didn't have one contingency plan and that's why we're in a tough spot now and could be if our giant doesn't pan out like we hope. We've been putting all of our eggs in one basket and it hasn't helped us. Recruiting Chinoso was a mistake from the beginning.

Bryant was NEVER, EVER coming to SU. Period.
That's like saying we lost Nerlens Noel, or The Brow.

The loss of Diagne hurts, since another big to plug into the 4/5 slots would've been handy at times this season.
But then Lydon wouldn't be getting nearly as much run, so there's a potential downside even to that.

I have to laugh a bit at everyone saying Lydon should easily add 15 lbs of muscle before next year. 15 lbs of muscle is a lot to gain in 6 months without steroids. By muscle, I mean lean body mass, not muscle plus fat. In order to do that, it must become his number one goal, above improving his bball skills. When was the last time you saw a bball player gain that much muscle in an off-season? The reason for this is simple, in order to stay sharp and improve their game, they have to play a lot of basketball, which means a lot of running. 5-7 lbs a year should be the max goal.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be rare at the college level unless he grows an inch or two. Then it becomes a lot easier.

dollarbill44 said:
I have to laugh a bit at everyone saying Lydon should easily add 15 lbs of muscle before next year. 15 lbs of muscle is a lot to gain in 6 months without steroids. By muscle, I mean lean body mass, not muscle plus fat. In order to do that, it must become his number one goal, above improving his bball skills. When was the last time you saw a bball player gain that much muscle in an off-season? The reason for this is simple, in order to stay sharp and improve their game, they have to play a lot of basketball, which means a lot of running. 5-7 lbs a year should be the max goal.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be rare at the college level unless he grows an inch or two. Then it becomes a lot easier.

I think there is only one thing he should focus on in the offseason. And I think all will agree, Lyndon should devote every waking hour to the stache.

I have to laugh a bit at everyone saying Lydon should easily add 15 lbs of muscle before next year. When was the last time you saw a bball player gain that much muscle in an off-season?

Roberson went from 212 to 226 just this season. He even said so himself in a interview, I could try to dig it up. Lydon weights in at 205 right now. No reason to think he can't get on the carbs and proteins to get up to 230 and be at around 215+ next year. If he had that extra 12 pounds this year we would see him attacking the basket more ferociously more often. He really is the best rim finisher on the team, and a great not good foul shooter for a big. However, if I had to guess the majority of them will come before the defender recovers for most of next year.

As for Roberson he really has to get his foul shots down late in games, that would be a bonus to keep him on the floor late next year.Dream chemistry if he could pass as a three some possessions with Lydon next to him. I don't think I have ever seen a forward just stand directly one foot right in front of the basket and just just jump straight up to tip them as easily as he does. Its as if the defense just gives up and lets him have it some times. No clue how, but I think I speak for us all when I say hes going to be a absolute monster next year.

Last edited:
Roberson went from 212 to 226 just this season. He even said so himself in a interview, I could try to dig it up. Lydon weights in at 205 right now. No reason to think he can't get on the carbs and proteins to get up to 230 and be at around 215+ next year. If he had that extra 12 pounds this year we would see him attacking the basket more ferociously more often. He really is the best rim finisher on the team, and a great not good foul shooter for a big. However, if I had to guess the majority of them will come before the defender recovers for most of next year.

As for Roberson he really has to get his foul shots down late in games, that would be a bonus to keep him on the floor late next year.Dream chemistry if he could pass as a three some possessions with Lydon next to him. I don't think I have ever seen a forward just stand directly one foot right in front of the basket and just just jump straight up to tip them as easily as he does. Its as if the defense just gives up and lets him have it some times. No clue how, but I think I speak for us all when I say hes going to be a absolute monster next year.
I did say it's possible, but at the expense of something else. Roberson is a great rebounder. He reminds me of Dennis Rodman. But, his basketball skills did not noticeably improve from last year. I would prefer if Lydon focus on improving his dribble and increasing his strength with a secondary goal of increasing his lean body mass by about 5-7 pounds per year. But, hey, I'm a fan and not the coach. Whatever JB wants is what will happen.

It's more important to gain strength than weight anyway. You can get a lot stronger without gaining a lot of mass.

I did say it's possible, but at the expense of something else. Roberson is a great rebounder. He reminds me of Dennis Rodman. But, his basketball skills did not noticeably improve from last year. I would prefer if Lydon focus on improving his dribble and increasing his strength with a secondary goal of increasing his lean body mass by about 5-7 pounds per year. But, hey, I'm a fan and not the coach. Whatever JB wants is what will happen.

Rebounding isn't a basketball skill?

Rebounding isn't a basketball skill?
I would classify it more as an activity than a skill. TR is a great rebounder because he can jump like a jackrabbit, he has long arms and he wants the ball more than anyone else. But, you should have gotten my point - dribbling, shooting, passing are what I consider basketball "skills". Let's not make this an argument akin to the football "skill" players vs lineman debate.

I don't think there's any question if Howard or Joseph...clearly Frank will be ahead of Kaleb on the depth chart. Mali has held his own at the bottom of the zone this year, if Howard develops I could see our starting 5 as Howard/Battle/MR/Roberson/Chukwu; with Lydon as a super sub off the bench. Then Moyer, DC, and hopefully TT.

Our depth could be fun next year.

Battle/Howard/Kaleb could play PG
Battle/MR could play the 2
Wings could be MR/TR/TL/MM/TT
5 could be PC/DC/TT/TL

Did the staff promise Battle he would play PG or anything? Our O looks so much smoother with Frankie at the point.

Kaleb will be very interesting story going forward.

I don't think there's any question if Howard or Joseph...clearly Frank will be ahead of Kaleb on the depth chart. Mali has held his own at the bottom of the zone this year, if Howard develops I could see our starting 5 as Howard/Battle/MR/Roberson/Chukwu; with Lydon as a super sub off the bench. Then Moyer, DC, and hopefully TT.

Our depth could be fun next year.

Battle/Howard/Kaleb could play PG
Battle/MR could play the 2
Wings could be MR/TR/TL/MM/TT
5 could be PC/DC/TT/TL

Did the staff promise Battle he would play PG or anything? Our O looks so much smoother with Frankie at the point.

JB will only play 6 or 7 no matter what he says.

This is a tough one to sort through but I have to say all the shooters in the world are not of much value unless you can get the ball to them in the right spot at the right time. This means Howard must be on the floor unless Battle is equal to or above Howard as a game manager and floor general. Look at Ennis, we did not need him to be a driver or scoring threat, just manage the game and distribute the ball. We need a big man in the middle DC or Chukwu, Roberson must be there as a senior 4, we have two solid candidates with experience at 3 Lydon or Richardson, with Battle or Richardson at the 2 and Howard or Battle at PG. In my mind it boils down to Lydon, Richardson and Battle for two starting positions. Maybe Battle is best as 6th man like Dion, as others suggested, to relieve Howard or Richardson.

I'm thinking Richardson as a 3 next year when Battle is playing the 2. Holy cow that will be tough to defend!

I think there is only one thing he should focus on in the offseason. And I think all will agree, Lyndon should devote every waking hour to the stache.

He's doing it now!

It's more important to gain strength than weight anyway. You can get a lot stronger without gaining a lot of mass.

As opposed to what I do which is gain a lot of weight without any muscle mass.

JB will only play 6 or 7 no matter what he says.

In years where the zone is really solid we have a better chance of going with a deeper bench. .

However, with the recent Lydon being a 3-4-5 and Battle/Malachi both being a 1-2-3 there would need to be some strange circumstances. Agree. I think we will understand foul trouble next year well which lessens the possibility, and moyer, roberson, and Lydon have alot to prove in the dribbling department to play the three.

I think Josephs speed, and Obokohs widebody (maybe at the four) has a small chance to play a part of that some games. Not sure what we have with moyer, but I know he is probably to much of a athlete to not get some minutes. Hope to grab another center. We need it.

Last edited:
In years where the zone is really solid we have a better chance of going with a deeper bench. .

However, with the recent Lydon being a 3-4-5 and Battle/Malachi both being a 1-2-3 there would need to be some strange circumstances. Agree. I think we will understand foul trouble next year well which lessens the possibility, and moyer, roberson, and Lydon have alot to prove in the dribbling department to play the three.

I think Josephs speed, and Obokohs widebody (maybe at the four) has a small chance to play a part of that some games. Not sure what we have with moyer, but I know he is probably to much of a athlete to not get some minutes. Hope to grab another center. We need it.

Maybe Moyer will be like Lydon and we will be thinking wow all season! He plays the violin. So here's my thinking. This kid probably has super intelligence of some kind. He seems to have deep brain pockets. And using his super powers he's going to find a a way to have a meaningful role on the team. A brain will find a way.

I think KJ or CO will not get much playing time. TB will take all KJ's PT. PC will take CO's PT.

TR, MR, and TL will get the most minutes. Battle is going to be beast like Dion Waiters. FH will also get a lot of PT next year in my opinion.

Most years it's obvious next year lots of uncertainty and not because of early exits

To me battle Richardson Roberson and Lydon are four obvious starters

The fifth could be Howard, PC, DC, and possibly Moyer but that's the least likely but if Moyer is your 8th option you're doing very well

I'll go with PC,Roberson Lydon,battle, Richardson

The only thing is dies Howard push to the point guard ?

or if Coleman is more of a factor next year how does the center minutes get split up.

that gives us extreme depth at every position. Imagine the versatility with Moyer Tyler Tyler in a frontcourt with battle and Richardson as a backcourt