2017-18 Coaching Carousel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2017-18 Coaching Carousel

Discontented fans take note: Too few home-run hires to replace those fired coaches, ADs

As the 2017 season winds to a conclusion, college football is facing a potential talent crisis. It hasn’t manifested itself on the field, where the product remains as compelling as ever. But in the coaching ranks and even on the administrative side, where the churn rate in the last few years has far surpassed the number of slam-dunk stars in the business, the college sports industry is preparing for the kind of December that it had never imagined until now. It used to be schools hired athletics directors from the ranks of former football coaches. Now, schools treat them like football coaches, even though most of them are career administrators who spend 99% of their time doing wonky things like budgets, rules compliance and fundraising and very little on football hires. And while it’s easy these days if you have enough money to get rid of a coach or an athletics director, replacing them has become harder than ever. The early word in the industry on Arkansas was that the school may look outside the sphere of college athletics and into the business world for somebody with Arkansas ties who could run the athletics department, a strategy that has been hit-or-miss (mostly miss) when others have tried it. Either way, it’s almost certain that the football coach will be in place before the athletics director, historically a recipe for problems. And at Auburn, there is no obvious candidate to take Jacobs’ place who will wow that fan base, largely because fans largely don’t (and shouldn’t) know the difference between a good athletics director and a bad one. -Dan Wolken, USA Today, Read More

46-30 record and still got canned...do they really think they can compete with the big boys in Pac 12?
He has gotten worse each season of late. This is a results oriented business. 4-8 last year and 5-6 as of today isn't good enough. Gotta win games

46-30 record and still got canned...do they really think they can compete with the big boys in Pac 12?
Speculation on twitter that they didn't want to lose Chip Kelly to Florida so they moved today.

Wonder if he is thinking Clawson and Petrino.

With the mess at Louisville Im sure Petrino would leave in a heartbeat, Im sure a new AD would have him on the chopping block anyways...

With the mess at Louisville Im sure Petrino would leave in a heartbeat, Im sure a new AD would have him on the chopping block anyways...
images

As of today, there's an head coach vacancy at UCLA, Oregon state, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Florida and most likely, we'll see a vacancy at UCF, Nebraska, Arkansas, Arizona State, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M.

We've lost Ray Rice with our coaching change. Is it our turn yet to take advantage of a coaching change?

One West Coast writer is trying to stir up something by saying Orygun State is interested in Medenhall, who played and coached there.

One West Coast writer is trying to stir up something by saying Orygun State is interested in Medenhall, who played and coached there.

I know he is an alum but it is a horrible job. I think you will be ok, Hoo

As of today, there's an head coach vacancy at UCLA, Oregon state, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Florida and most likely, we'll see a vacancy at UCF, Nebraska, Arkansas, Arizona State, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M.

We've lost Ray Rice with our coaching change. Is it our turn yet to take advantage of a coaching change?

That would be nice but it could also hurt current verbals if the new coach now offers them that the previous one didn't, especially Florida and UT.

Everyone is trying to get into position to hire Chip Kelly. I think once he is hired it will be a race to get pick 2-5 for your team.

Everyone is trying to get into position to hire Chip Kelly. I think once he is hired it will be a race to get pick 2-5 for your team.
Since he's viewed as a West Coast guy, would UCLA have a slight advantage in getting him compared to the others?

Since he's viewed as a West Coast guy, would UCLA have a slight advantage in getting him compared to the others?

I would think so and I think they realized Florida was going after Chip hard, so that's why they dumped Mora quickly.

Lane Kiffin has Florida Atlantic 8-3
Butch Davis has Florida International 6-4

won't be long

There is one other ACC coach that I have been wondering about. Might this be the year that Paul Johnson gets fired?