2017-18 Fall Ball / Mumps Ball / Preseason Ball | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2017-18 Fall Ball / Mumps Ball / Preseason Ball

Few interesting things in that article.
  1. Madonna played the first two quarters, followed by Porter (3rd) and Strang (or 'Strange', as the article calls him :) in the 4th. Doesn't say who played the 5th. No Klan?

McPeak to redshirt, so it probably wasn't him.

Vermont scored a total of 8 goals in five quarters. Where does it say 10? Confused.
I was just extending 5 in 2 quarters to a 4 quarter game. GAA.

McPeak to redshirt, so it probably wasn't him.
And in response to my post, Klan played the 5th. It would behoove me to read, instead of just scan. :oops:

I feel for the kid, he hasn't panned out, but I simply cannot do another year of Matt Lane on the 1st line mid. Hope that its Dordevic, Trimbo, Dearth. They young upside right there is ABSURD.

Sounds from the presser the 1st line was Trimboli, Dearth, Dordevic. 2nd/3rd line a mix of Simmons, Carlin, Lane, McKinney, Lipka and one other.

Bomber left the game early with an ankle sprain

Very interesting but not surprising 1st line, there was some thought Dearth could make a big jump if he was moved off of D middie back to the mid line full time. Love that Dordevic has shown enough to make the 1st line.

On the concerning side no mention of Quinn or O'Sullivan. Also curious if Curry and Lauder played attack or middie

My concern is Quinn and Seebold not seeing time?

Suprised neither seemed to see time, perhaps Desko wants to redshirt one of them. Curious to see where Curry and Lauder played.

What a nice surprise for a Sunday! I thought they might do something like this since they lost the scrimmage at Stony Brook in the fall and had an extra competition day to play. Some very encouraging signs - nice to see Varello put up some good numbers and for the scoring to be so spread out. VERY encouraged by the the players picked to run the first line midfield. I think Dvordec and Dearth will bring some size and athleticism that the midfield has lacked over the years and I think Trimboli is in for a big year.

Good to see Lane put up big numbers. I know he drives people crazy, but if he can start to put things together, it could be a game changer. Need one of the upper class men to be reliable this season.

Seebold and Quinn not getting any mention is a bit perplexing. In the presser Desko said they had "four attackmen" which would leave Seebold out. He also runs down the list of midfielders and doesn't mention Quinn ... maybe they are hurt? Or simply didn't put up any points? This team has a lot of players but I figured with Desko saying he planned on playing a lot of freshmen (and he is), that Seebold and Quinn would be on that list of players.

If anyone knows who ran D-middie, I would be interested in knowing who that was. Desko seemed to be high on Madona's play, but I have my doubts. Encouraged to know that Porter played well though. Willie Klan being the fourth guy is surprising, but maybe Desko just hasn't seen enough of him. Didn't expect to see Martin being Varello's backup - Doesn't sound like Deslise played?

Nice to know what freshmen will not be redshirted this year, but two big question marks with Seebold and Quinn.

Desko seems to mention 1 st line was Dearth, Dordevic and Trimbo
If true, love the youth/potential of a DDT 1st line, especially with Lane & Simmons anchoring the 2nd.

IMG_1383.GIF

I also wonder if Seebold is seen as the heir apparent at QB after Rehfuss & the staff wants to put another year between them. Just a thought.

Few interesting things in that article.
  1. Madonna played the first two quarters, followed by Porter (3rd) and Strang (or 'Strange', as the article calls him :) in the 4th. Doesn't say who played the 5th. No Klan?
  2. Madonna gave up 5 in 2 quarters. I know you can't judge anything by a scrimmage (but I will anyway), but I'm not sure you could call that anything but an auspicious start. 10 GAA vs. Vermont. Me no likey.
  3. I like 3 assists from Lane at the mid.
  4. Assuming backups played the rest of the game, I like 9-2 after the first half. Then again, that's what I would expect from them vs. VT's second-liners.
Did Lady Gaga play, too? ;)

Feels good to get some lax news. Been waiting and waiting for this. Some interesting thing to note as others have already.
Though I'm excited about a youthful 1st mid line the most though.

I can understand Curry and Dordevic getting their looks Andrew I am sure the other good freshman will rise to the top if they learn the offence and can impress and also if the second line doesn’t perform! I just don’t want to see highly rated players not get a chance to shine and gain some experience.

Maybe they need time to beef up. Some freshman come and need to bulk up to play college ball?

The other thing concerning me is that why has there been no mention of DiPietro, I haven’t seen him on any pictures? He played well last year and was on our man down unit.

FYI - Rumors are that Rutgers has lost a top offensive player to an injury that is likely season ending. Sounds like Trasolini or Charlambides.

Wow I couldn't be more excited about this possible first line! Every one of them can dodge and create their own offense! Dearth showed a lot last year as a dodger but struggled to finish. His off ball movement was superb. He was the opposite of Lane. It seems he worked hard in the offseason to be a likely first liner. Trimboli was the obvious starter and Dordevic isnt a surprise after all the hype in fall. They could be a line like Hardy, Perritt, and Abbot(obviously no where near those guys yet but potential wise). Lane never seemed to step up when the pressure was there but on the second line there isn't much pressure. I'm sad to hear that Quinn looks like a possible red shirt. We will definitely have to be patient with this offense it'll take time for these young guys to figure it out.

Massive loss for Rutty, its the equivalent of Syracuse losing Mellen again for the year. With Trasolini still not 100% himself coming back from injury there in a tight spot. Still a good attack unit but Mullins will see an increased D presence this year and the other top guy is a Senior who wont get to play with Charalambides.

Wow I couldn't be more excited about this possible first line! Every one of them can dodge and create their own offense! Dearth showed a lot last year as a dodger but struggled to finish. His off ball movement was superb. He was the opposite of Lane. It seems he worked hard in the offseason to be a likely first liner. Trimboli was the obvious starter and Dordevic isnt a surprise after all the hype in fall. They could be a line like Hardy, Perritt, and Abbot(obviously no where near those guys yet but potential wise). Lane never seemed to step up when the pressure was there but on the second line there isn't much pressure. I'm sad to hear that Quinn looks like a possible red shirt. We will definitely have to be patient with this offense it'll take time for these young guys to figure it out.

I wouldn't count out Quinn just yet, takes some guys some time especially transitioning to Div 1. Desko might want to hedge his bet about red-shirt so hes holding him out of games for now and seeing what happens as the season gets closer. With all the potential midfield depth SU has someone was bound to get caught in a numbers game and he maybe it. Seebold is a bit more mystifying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom