2017 Depth Chart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Depth Chart

Cordy also had issues in coverage last year but I think his problems were more mental than physical. The kid can really run and if he can figure his assignments I think he starts from day one.

Competition breeds excellence--it is great having two productive guys to choose from. Safety could go from a position of inexperienced weakness last year to a really stacked unit this season, with three guys who are all starting caliber [plus Clarke, Foster, etc.].

May the best player win!

Cordy also had issues in coverage last year but I think his problems were more mental than physical. The kid can really run and if he can figure his assignments I think he starts from day one.

definitely he struggled with the mental part. year 2 for him. Lets hope he gets it.

If either Foster or Clarke can unseat a vet you'll know we have a good player on our hands.

[Safeties]

FS Rodney Williams (5-10 186) - 9 starts

SS Antwan Cordy (5-8 180) - 15 starts

SS Daivon Ellison (5-8 177) - 10 starts

SS Keilan Whitner (6-0 197) – 3 starts

Evan Foster (6-1 208)

Davon Clarke (6-2 186)

[Cornerbacks]

Juwan Dowels (5-10 180) - 6 starts

Carl Jones (6-1 177)

Scoop Bradshaw (5-11 163)

Cordell Hudson (5-11 183) – 10 starts

Christopher Frederick (5-11 189) - 6 starts

Walkons

Winston Lee 5-10 193

Kyle Strickland 6-0 176

Joe Stanard 5-10 202

FRESHMAN / NEWCOMERS

S MyKelti Williams (5-11 200) – JUCO Transfer

CB Devin Butler (6-1 200) – 2 starts at ND. 39 tackles, 1 int, 7 pb

Eric Coley (6-1 180)

Ifeatu Melifonwu (6-2 180)

Unknown

James Pierre
We go from being super thin and inexperienced to experienced and deep. SU had the worse secondary in the ACC last year and that is saying something when Pitt was also in the league.

Just getting to average play with this unit would be a huge step forward.

Anyway, here are my picks:

CB Dowels/Hudson
CB Butler/Jones
SS M Williams/Ellison
FS Cordy/Clarke
Nickel R Williams*/Clarke

*=if he can ever stay healthy

Hoping that the true frosh can redshirt. Assuming Pierce is gone for now, if he is around, he ends up in the mix at FS too.

The guys I picked are the fastest (I think) and most athletic of the bunch (expecting the true frosh). We desperately need an injection of speed in this group. And size too.

The guys I picked are the fastest (I think) and most athletic of the bunch (expecting the true frosh). We desperately need an injection of speed in this group. And size too.
I mentioned this on another thread, but I met a HS coach a couple of weeks ago who knows Carl Jones very well. Says he has all of the tools to succeed in this scheme, especially the speed.

I mentioned this on another thread, but I met a HS coach a couple of weeks ago who knows Carl Jones very well. Says he has all of the tools to succeed in this scheme, especially the speed.
I agree. Until we got the word on Butler coming, I had Jones penciled in as a starter at CB.

From what I saw last year, Fredericks and Hudson are pretty good against the run but don't have the speed to cover ACC level WRs.

Hopefully someone does.

I think Rodney Williams will find himself on the outside looking in quickly. I just haven't ever been impressed with him. Could be a guy that leaves after next season as he will be a Rs-Jr.

Whitner w0nt even sniff the field this year. I thought he struggled mightily at times last year

Wouldn't mind if Carl Jones takes a RS; really thought he was undersized last season, needs 20lbs...

Whitner w0nt even sniff the field this year. I thought he struggled mightily at times last year

He has the size to be a very important special teams player.

He has the size to be a very important special teams player.

He's got a good motor and he's not afraid of contact. I think he would make a really good special teamer.

Too many mental lapses over the past few years at DB. If we can avoid him being on the 2 deep I think that's a good thing.

I thought Fredrick looked good at CB filling in late in the season. I don't think anyone's job is safe.

Agree, liked his size and athleticism out there.

My guesses:

CB – Devin Butler/Hudson

CB – Chris Frederick/Dowels

SS – Daivon Ellison/Cordy/Foster

FS – MyKelti Williams/Clarke/Williams

Nickel – Antwan Cordy/Bradshaw

I agree, but would like to see whitner beat out both cordy and ellison. If he can get a look at ss. He has played fs. Just need more height and pass coverage acumen across the board in the secondary.

Does Williams have 3 to play 3 ?

Yes, he does, took a shirt at nd after going there as a 4*. Left after his shirt year and enrolled for 1 yr at jc. Now at cuse. He has 3 and its great !

Don't disagree. Just trying to give a scenario where he helps us. Smart kid, I think he can.
I don't disagree, I think Whitner can develop. Two college systems in two years as a teenager. I'll give him a pass on last year, thought he showed some promise as a FR.

This is the year though, if he doesn't crack the rotation with the new blood here, you've probably seen the last of him on D.

I think Whitner has the skills to contribute. I love how how much competition there is going to be. Imagine if Pierre shows up.

Yes, he does, took a shirt at nd after going there as a 4*. Left after his shirt year and enrolled for 1 yr at jc. Now at cuse. He has 3 and its great !
He isn't enrolled at Syracuse. The earlies are Butler, Pierce, Guthrie, Fagan and Davis.

Pierre has to be enrolled right? He's been in the student directory the entire year.
Following him on twitter I would say no way but the fact that a freshman, named James Pierre has been in the directory with a listed major of Sports and Human Dynamics gives me hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom