2017 Depth Chart | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Depth Chart

How do our newbies dbs/cbs/ ss/fs fit to compete in the ACC along w/our redshirt kids?

My guess

CB Fredericks/Hudson
CB Butler/Jones
FS M Williams/Foster
SS Cordy/Clarke

I think you guys are underestimating the staff's urgency to revamp the secondary. They want to insert players that fit their scheme along with guys with more length and athleticism. There's a reason our secondary was the worse last year. We lacked that. The guys that played can't be on the field this year. That includes Ellison, R Williams and Whitner. They are all slow. Ellison has the best chance to play out of those 3. That's because he's not scared to hit.

My guess

CB Fredericks/Hudson
CB Butler/Jones
FS M Williams/Foster
SS Cordy/Clarke

I think you guys are underestimating the staff's urgency to revamp the secondary. They want to insert players that fit their scheme along with guys with more length and athleticism. There's a reason our secondary was the worse last year. We lacked that. The guys that played can't be on the field this year. That includes Ellison, R Williams and Whitner. They are all slow. Ellison has the best chance to play out of those 3. That's because he's not scared to hit.
I like this. I think Foster will play on third down with Cordy going to nickel. Cordy can blitz or cover the slot from the nickel.

I like this. I think Foster will play on third down with Cordy going to nickel. Cordy can blitz or cover the slot from the nickel.
yes Cordy would be good in that role

Ellison was defensive MVP vs Va Tech , kid is a football player he will start and be a leader

Bailey's projection is reasonable, but competitions might well change things, and we should expect at least a couple of grad transfers to upgrade positions.

I expect there will be a shake-up in the secondary. Cordy was playing SS until he went down with injury. He was backed by Ellison at SS, with Williams at FS. I doubt Ward will want a small secondary that was underwhelming in 2016 -- which is what we would get with a combination of Hudson, Cordy and Ellison. There are a number of candidates likely to push these 3 (including Bradshaw, Jones, Clark in addition to those named). Might see Cordy moved to CB opposite Butler, with M. Williams and Foster at the safety spots. Spring competition will be interesting.

I also expect there will be shuffling in the OL, trying to improve the run blocking. 3 of Shafer's recruits started in their second year (Conway, Adams & Byrne). I would project 2 of Babers' recruits to be starters as RsF (Heckel & Clark).

And, I am guessing there will be grad transfers in a couple of the WR positions, where Butler and Moe Neal are penciled in above. Babers is not done with this cycle.

Ellison was defensive MVP vs Va Tech , kid is a football player he will start and be a leader
Toughest player on the team. He is great in run support but is less effective in pass coverage.

You can't help but pull for a kid like Ellison. I hope he does well.

Big fan of Devon Clarke's attitude and athleticism, hope we see him develop into something special. Kid bleeds OJ.

The number 2 is Mahoney. He’s a senior and he knows the offense. The competition will be for the #3 between Culpepper and DeVito. Culpepper will have his 2nd spring practice in the books come May.

Depending on the situation, Mahoney could be leaped by either Culpepper or DeVito.

*During a game, it’s going to be Mahoney. (same as Wilson vs Mahoney) On the fly it was Wilson. With the practice reps and a game plan it was Mahoney.

*If Dungey misses multiple games the starter is going to be the player that gives the team the best chance to win. Obvious.

*In the age of coaches not making it past 4 years nobody cares about saving redshirts. So if DeVito comes in and proves he belongs then he’ll make a move up the chart.

*I’ve always been VERY skeptical of a true freshman QB's having the ability to step in and hit the ground the running. The speed of the game will be shocking. Here’s the other thing to keep in mind. Dungey will also start next year to, so by playing DeVito this year, you’re effectively limiting him to only 2 seasons of full-time duty.

I’m a 100% behind Culpepper.

On no planet is M. Williams not starting at Safety.

Last edited:
I don't disagree, I think Whitner can develop. Two college systems in two years as a teenager. I'll give him a pass on last year, thought he showed some promise as a FR.

This is the year though, if he doesn't crack the rotation with the new blood here, you've probably seen the last of him on D.

Whitner will be a true junior who should have redshirted. He was going to App State before he signed with Cuse. Developmental players take time. He actually wraps up when he tackles which is a big plus. I actually wouldn't mind it if he grew into a Will.

Ellison slow?
He's bad running at angles. He can run straight line and hit you but is bad at running at angles. He not going to hawk anyone down from behind. The kid gets the most out of his body and I like him a lot but he is a liability in other areas, particularly in pass coverage. We need length and speed to consistently compete against ACC athletes.

Bosco kids are tough. Ellison is one of my favorite players on the team but being the MVP for 1 game doesn't mean your the best at your position. I wouldn't count him out because he has one of the biggest hearts on the team.

Toughest player on the team. He is great in run support but is less effective in pass coverage.

You can't help but pull for a kid like Ellison. I hope he does well.

Love the kid too, but a safeties first function is to cover, run support is secondary (pardon the pun). He got torched most of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom