2017 Media Guide and Depth Chart | Syracusefan.com

2017 Media Guide and Depth Chart

DEjDDxeXsAAofKY.jpg

DEjDHFuXsAAdO0O.jpg

Love the fact that Scoop has won a starting CB spot. I think many wrote him off as a Culpepper throw in and wouldn't be near the field in anymore than his nickel role.

Am expecting one of the slot Johnson's to bump Riley/Avant as the #2.

Defensive battle should be very interesting to watch unfold this August.

Byrne from starting center to backup right guard.

Love the fact that Scoop has won a starting CB spot. I think many wrote him off as a Culpepper throw in and wouldn't be near the field in anymore than his nickel role.

I'm betting it's Nykiem

Byrne will be on the field. I expect one of the Johnsons to play also. Valdez will start by the LSU game. Scoop's spot could be do to injury. Both Hudson and Dowels were hurt. They have a lot of experience. Gonne be interesting to see if he can hold on that. Have to factor in Martin. I wonder if the staff plays him a safety.

Byrne will be on the field. I expect one of the Johnsons to play also. Valdez will start by the LSU game. Scoop's spot could be do to injury. Both Hudson and Dowels were hurt. They have a lot of experience. Gonne be interesting to see if he can hold on that. Have to factor in Martin. I wonder if the staff plays him a safety.
Honestly,I'd be surprised if Hudson or Dowels see the field much at all here again. I think the size and talent brought in has passed them by. My only disappointment is seeing Moe moved back to RB. He is a budding star at that slot position. But I guess I understand it given the lack of talent and depth we have in the backfield this year.

Honestly,I'd be surprised if Hudson or Dowels see the field much at all here again. I think the size and talent brought in has passed them by. My only disappointment is seeing Moe moved back to RB. He is a budding star at that slot position. But I guess I understand it given the lack of talent and depth we have in the backfield this year.
You could be right about Hudson/Dowels. Moe will help give us big play ability from the back field. Dont really have that with Strickland. The good thing about Moe is that he is versatile enough to transition back to slot his last 2 years and be great.

Quick question, lets say Valdez takes over the SLB spot and it moves Jonathan Thomas back. Could he play the SS/hybrid LB spot on running downs, to bring another player of size into the box? He's def fast enough, and as a 6'1 209lber he's the right size.

Actually, I think Dowels could win his starting spot back

And how bout that safety tandem of Cordy and Foster?

My goodness, that could be something to watch

yup, and I would love to see Clarke in the mix.

yup, and I would love to see Clarke in the mix.

I'm fine with that combo, it looks unlikely that Mykteli will be making it to campus to give even more options, flexibility.

Actually, they could be scary to watch. Given the current pre season roster, we will get run over and sheedded. With Bradshaw and Hudson at cb and cordy and foster at safety? REALLY? We will get run over. These pre season listings are posted to motivate other players.

Actually, they could be scary to watch. Given the current pre season roster, we will get run over and sheedded. With Bradshaw and Hudson at cb and cordy and foster at safety? REALLY? We will get run over. These pre season listings are posted to motivate other players.

Foster is going to be a good one. Has size too.

Love it, i do like his game too. The secondary is just in need of sooooo much of an upgrade;)
I've been saying since last season-- secondary problems weren't so much recruiting as scheme. I think you're going to see the difference this year. Cordy has already said it--"we're playing over routes now." We weren't doing this at all last season. Coaches were content to let players sit back in a zone, hope for the best, and then hope that a tongue lashing would rectify it every time they were gashed. You would have not seen the same team, coached by Shafer, give up so many uncontested downfield catches as this team did. No way. This was in no way all on personnel

Are the heights and weights accurate? Man we look so small at OLB and DE.

I've been saying since last season-- secondary problems weren't so much recruiting as scheme. I think you're going to see the difference this year. Cordy has already said it--"we're playing over routes now." We weren't doing this at all last season. Coaches were content to let players sit back in a zone, hope for the best, and then hope that a tongue lashing would rectify it every time they were gashed. You would have not seen the same team, coached by Shafer, give up so many uncontested downfield catches as this team did. No way. This was in no way all on personnel
you are very right. A lot of people don't know but they were told play how you feel you can cover a guy in Shafer d. They were told if you feel you can jam a guy at the line and keep them off their route do it. If you think the guy is going to beat you off the line play off him and keep him between you and the qb. I use to lose my mind when I would see like a 7 yard cushion given to a wr until coach bullough explained to me it wasn't the coaches choice were the player started. If they were over matched they moved to minimize the yards given

you are very right. A lot of people don't know but they were told play how you feel you can cover a guy in Shafer d. They were told if you feel you can jam a guy at the line and keep them off their route do it. If you think the guy is going to beat you off the line play off him and keep him between you and the qb. I use to lose my mind when I would see like a 7 yard cushion given to a wr until coach bullough explained to me it wasn't the coaches choice were the player started. If they were over matched they moved to minimize the yards given
Speechless...

I mean... that is just unbelievable...

(not a call out Bam, I believe you...but if that is the coaching at a D1 program...no words...)

Love it, i do like his game too. The secondary is just in need of sooooo much of an upgrade;)

I think Jordan Martin & Devin Butler will up shore up this problem. I'm counting on them to rise to the top of the depth chart and start. 6'3" and 6'1" respectively. The size alone will make for an upgrade since we had a hard time covering anyone last year. Couple that with the return of Cordy, who I thought was our best player in the secondary, and Foster, who many on here seem to be high on and there is definitely reason for optimism. I mean, let's be honest - it can't be any worse than last year!

You would have not seen the same team, coached by Shafer, give up so many uncontested downfield catches as this team did. No way. This was in no way all on personnel
How quickly you forget the 2015 season, where it often looked like the defense was playing with 9 guys while the offense had 11. Not to mention the dozens of missed tackles.

How quickly you forget the 2015 season, where it often looked like the defense was playing with 9 guys while the offense had 11. Not to mention the dozens of missed tackles.
You can say that, but not even that defense was on par with the horrid Swiss Cheese defense we saw last year. Watched Dino's ACC media day press conference last year and he specifically said that his defense would not be as aggressive as Shafer's, and it ended up being way too passive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom