2017 Media Guide and Depth Chart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Media Guide and Depth Chart

You can say that, but not even that defense was on par with the horrid Swiss Cheese defense we saw last year. Watched Dino's ACC media day press conference last year and he specifically said that his defense would not be as aggressive as Shafer's, and it ended up being way too passive

Right -- 2016 was a definite low for the defense (weakness at DE forcing true frosh to play big roles, and secondary). Dino/Ward did a lot of work off-season to find help. Now we will see whether 3 grad transfers and 4 jucos, plus a year of S&C for Dino's 2016 recruits, can provide an upgrade. Have to assume Brian Ward and his assistants were embarrassed looking at film from 2016.

You can say that, but not even that defense was on par with the horrid Swiss Cheese defense we saw last year. Watched Dino's ACC media day press conference last year and he specifically said that his defense would not be as aggressive as Shafer's, and it ended up being way too passive
I'd rather have a bad defense in year one where the scheme is still being put together and inexperience can be an excuse as opposed to year seven where it's obvious the issues are recruiting and coaching.

Anybodt else see Shy Cullen in the Kick Return Slot. LB with history of RB play. I assume he's intended the up back since he's listed second but I LIKE IT!

Right -- 2016 was a definite low for the defense (weakness at DE forcing true frosh to play big roles, and secondary). Dino/Ward did a lot of work off-season to find help. Now we will see whether 3 grad transfers and 4 jucos, plus a year of S&C for Dino's 2016 recruits, can provide an upgrade. Have to assume Brian Ward and his assistants were embarrassed looking at film from 2016.
With the transfers at CB and a healthy Hudson and Dowels I wonder if the staff redshirts Carl Jones this year. Plus Scoop is emerging.

I've been saying since last season-- secondary problems weren't so much recruiting as scheme. I think you're going to see the difference this year. Cordy has already said it--"we're playing over routes now." We weren't doing this at all last season. Coaches were content to let players sit back in a zone, hope for the best, and then hope that a tongue lashing would rectify it every time they were gashed. You would have not seen the same team, coached by Shafer, give up so many uncontested downfield catches as this team did. No way. This was in no way all on personnel

It was very much on personnel when you would watch safeties bite on fakes and then get beat over the top. Sorry Cordy.

Oh yea and how about tackling issues back there? Scheme ?

Last edited:
Anybodt else see Shy Cullen in the Kick Return Slot. LB with history of RB play. I assume he's intended the up back since he's listed second but I LIKE IT!
More of a lead blocker.

Shy is lead block for Riley. Though I would like to see him run 1 back he was really good running back kicks in high school. Yesterday he ran a 4.50 40 37 inch vert a 4.0 shuttle and a 6.9 L drill. And weighed in at 220.

It was very much on personnel when you would watch safeties bite on fakes and then get beat over the top. Sorry Cordy.

Cordy was also all over the field and was our best defensive player hands down before he got injured, so yeah, I am looking forward to him and Foster playing the safety tandem. Cordy was the only guy who wanted to tackle consistently. We'll see what transpires, I guess

I agree, i love cordys hitting and aggression, but he is lost in coverage. I would rather have a safety afraid to hit but understand the importance of coverage and angles. Just routing for the bigger incoming players, safeties to win the jobs. Its partly scheme too as scheme and understanding it is supposed to put a player in proper position .

Cordy was also all over the field and was our best defensive player hands down before he got injured, so yeah, I am looking forward to him and Foster playing the safety tandem. Cordy was the only guy who wanted to tackle consistently. We'll see what transpires, I guess

I disagree that Cordy is or was our best defensive guy but he'll no doubt help big time. I just hope he's learned that he has deep responsibility first before he slams down hill.

3 senior linebackers will be big time if they can get help from our secondary and the line can generate literally any sort of pass rush.

Huge fan of Shy at kick return/lead bl.

Wonder who will be the goal line back as neither strickland or neal have the traction or toughness yet in my opinion.

3 senior linebackers will be big time if they can get help from our secondary and the line can generate literally any sort of pass rush.

Wonder who will be the goal line back as neither strickland or neal have the traction or toughness yet in my opinion.
Have to think goal line back will be Markenzy once he gets hit footing up there. I for one hope he is, don't want to experience the redone problems that we did last season.

Would be a reason Elmore is here for offense. that's a big boy to take the ball one-yard. seems like a logical fit.

Have to think goal line back will be Markenzy once he gets hit footing up there. I for one hope he is, don't want to experience the redone problems that we did last season.
Completely forgot about Markenzy. Hope he puts the early work in and adjustments. He could be huge early in that role for us, elmore as well.

Would be a reason Elmore is here for offense. that's a big boy to take the ball one-yard. seems like a logical fit.
Think Elmore is coming aboard to open holes.

If its possible to RS Markenzy, and rely on Strickland, Moe, Perkins, and Elmore (FB), which would by my choice so long as the triumphant is successful at TB, I say use Shy as the Tank\Goal Line Back. Kid is an animal from everything I've seen.

Think Elmore is coming aboard to open holes.

I hope this true, unless your Alabama you need to have a FB type on the roster for short yardage situations if nothing else. SU has desperately missed having a lead blocker the past few years.

Wonder what Dino's plan is for Shy. Linebacker looks like a log jam, which is a great problem to have... but it's clear Dino values him on the field by pairing him with Riley. Maybe it'll be just kick returning. Always get excited when we find spots for our absolute monsters to be on the field.

If LB is getting crowded I'd look to become a terror on special teams ala JR Johnson

I'm LOVING the youth movement on this depth chart. 3/4 starters in the secondary are sophomores, 3/4 starters on the DLine are sophomores, 5 freshman OLinemen on the 2 deep, 20/44 2 deep spots filled by freshmen and sophomores, only 8 seniors in the 2 deep, and this is BEFORE any of our recruits have had much of a chance at making an impact. Between the light schedule and the experience these guys will get 2018 should be a huge year, if we make a bowl this year that means BIG things!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom