2017 QB | Syracusefan.com

2017 QB

skurey

Living Legend
Assuming Dungey is done (we don't know and I don't want to debate it ITT)

A lot of people are talking about redshirting DeVito. Why is this? If he's the QB of the future don't we want him to start getting game reps asap?

A lot of people are talking about redshirting DeVito. Why is this? If he's the QB of the future don't we want him to start getting game reps asap?

Not if he's not physically ready, if he is great. Don't think he is an early enrollee either which would have helped his case.

I think some folks want to redshirt for the sake of redshirting or because the perception is that freshman can't play at this level. Fact is there are plenty of freshman qb's playing Div I and one of them is currently in the Heisman hunt.

I think some folks want to redshirt for the sake of redshirting or because the perception is that freshman can't play at this level. Fact is there are plenty of freshman qb's playing Div I and one of them is currently in the Heisman hunt.
Yes but the normal recruits we get are under sized and aren't ready to take the beating from our lack of oline. Dungey is a prime example. Devito needs time to get into p5 shape and size.

Because he is not 6'3 230 lbs and would end up like Eric by mid season. That's why I want DeVito redshirted

6'2 190 screams redshirt

That assumes that DeVito can get to that size. What if he's 6'2" 195 in his second year? Do you still bench him?

Our program would benefit from redshirting more players, generally.

Then our S&C failed. Another reason to shirt is so he can learn the system.

Not all guys are going to get that big. And yes, 230 for a QB is pretty big.

How would being Dungey being 230 stop the W Michigan player from cheap shotting him last year?

Concussions (the only injury I'm aware that Dungey has had) aren't weight-based nor am I familiar with any study that says the smaller you are the more prone you are to concussions.

First of all, if Dungey is done, that is very bad news for our program. He's the best playmaker we've recruited at the QB position post-McNabb, and seems to be a perfect fit for the Babers offensive system. Having him as an upperclassman [especially with the starting experience he has under his belt these two seasons] would accelerate our progress, and losing him would be a setback to that progress.

If Dungey isn't capable of playing anymore, or is medically disqualified, or both, then we'd have three scholarship QBs on next year's roster--Wilson, Culpepper, and DeVito. Wilson doesn't have the chops--I think that is obvious. Culpepper had a tremendous offer list and physical tools, and enrolled early so he has an extra spring practice with the team under his belt [even if he wasn't a full "go" last spring]. So on paper, he'd be better positioned to contribute next year than an incoming frosh who'd arrives in August. He'd also have an extra full year of physical development under his belt, in addition to the extra 18 months worth of head start in learning the offense.

That said, DeVito is a stud recruit--and the first gem reeled in by the new coaching staff. I don't think hoping for him to redshirt is a slight, it is more of a desire to see him not thrown to the wolves, and to maximize his value as a long term asset.

What we DON'T know is [1] what will happen with Dungey, and [2] how ready Culpepper will be. Maybe the new staff wants to play their guy, which would render the discussion moot. Or maybe Culpepper is the real deal, and that will afford us the LUXURY of redshirting DeVito. That's how I see it.

Because he is not 6'3 230 lbs and would end up like Eric by mid season. That's why I want DeVito redshirted

6'2 190 screams redshirt

I agree, but its not always about size. No matter what a kids' size , some kids have a knack for avoiding big hits.

Two now
One is 6'2 and 209 lbs and the other is 6'4" and 225 lbs

Not all guys are going to get that big. And yes, 230 for a QB is pretty big.

How would being Dungey being 230 stop the W Michigan player from cheap shotting him last year?

Concussions (the only injury I'm aware that Dungey has had) aren't weight-based nor am I familiar with any study that says the smaller you are the more prone you are to concussions.
Not true that Dungey hasn't had more than concussions.

Eric Dungey has potential to be great with Dino Babers (as long as he stays healthy)

From the article "The hit left Dungey with more than a concussion, though his father declined to elaborate."

DiVito is probably 180 soaking wet. There's 1 million things he has to learn about the offense and reading a college defense. Remember when Dungey looked like he had a dead arm what do you think will happen to the DeVitos arm 3/4 weeks in.

If he has to play next year it's because we are in a world of

I think the notion that Dungey may be done is being overplayed. However, I can appreciate the apprehension. The words, 'second opinion' are never a good sign, but this seems like a neck/shoulder issue and not a concussion issue. Neck issues can be overcome given time and therapy.

I think next season QB could be a position of real strength: Dungey, Culpepper, and DeVito. I agree with others, you probably RS DeVito unless he walks into spring ball and kicks a$$.

No, we don't . he is way too small and needs a year in the system . funny how ED has been written off. Geeez. Culpepper is the guy next year with bo ED It's simple. Not sure what all the speculation is about .

DiVito is probably 180 soaking wet. There's 1 million things he has to learn about the offense and reading a college defense. Remember when Dungey looked like he had a dead arm what do you think will happen to the DeVitos arm 3/4 weeks in.

If he has to play next year it's because we are in a world of . . . .
He doesn't look that skinny on tv.

Seen him 2x now.

Quick delivery, Rocket arm, a little mobile...could use some work on quicker check downs.

Definitely could use another 10-15 lbs.

1 year of sitting he will easily top that and probably add 70lbs to his bench and 100 to his squat.

2017 Depth Chart:
Dungey-Culpepper-Mahoney-DeVito (RS-unless forced to play)

2017 Depth Chart:
Dungey-Culpepper-Mahoney-DeVito (RS-unless forced to play)
Culpepper-JUCO/5th yr TRF-Mahoney-DeVito-RS

if you all want to flip Culpepper with the JUCO/5th year guy...go right ahead.

Does anyone know what the staff feels like they have in Mo Hasan?

Have there been any reports (posts on the board, comments in the press, etc) on what Rex looks like in practice? Any sense of if the staff thinks he has the chops?

Does anyone know what the staff feels like they have in Mo Hasan?
They red shirted him...not sure that's an endorsement of his ability but you never know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom