2017 Spring Prospectus/ Depth Chart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Spring Prospectus/ Depth Chart

They brought in 4 guys, 2 of whom are corners and one who is actually on campus. It's college ball. Gotta work with what you got.
Are you including Mykelti Williams as one of the 2 CB's you mentioned? I think he was brought in as a safety.

Are you including Mykelti Williams as one of the 2 CB's you mentioned? I think he was brought in as a safety.
Butler and Coley as CB, Melifonwu and M. Williams at Safety.

Small corners again? We finally add a talented long corner from a premier program with Devin Butler and we relegate him to backup. He should be a day 1 starter. Especially over Fredericks

he needs to earn it.

Small corners again? We finally add a talented long corner from a premier program with Devin Butler and we relegate him to backup. He should be a day 1 starter. Especially over Fredericks
How many times have you seen Butler play? He barely played at ND including losing his spot in his third year and not playing at all last year due to injury so his talent has been hidden from everyone since HS. Just because he started a few games three years ago at a "premier" program does not make him a player. And ND has not been a top-tier premier program while he was there so the fact that he barely played is even more telling.

Regardless of Guthrie starts he is one hell of a player. Our linebackers are probably the strength of our defense. Even Jonathan Thomas isn't bad. I have always wondered why they don't play him at safety with him being 200 lbs and pretty fast.
This isn't Madden. Thomas has played linebacker his entire life, a move to safety is completely foreign. Not to mention how many times he got burned in coverage as an LB last season...

I really disagree with Guthrie. I learned over the years that people like new shiny toys. I think people are vastly underselling our current players and over rating the players coming in. If the 3 best linebackers start Armstrong will be the 3rd. I like Guthrie don't get me wrong but he was playing juco, it's not realistic expectations to say he is going to come in here and start over our current players. I believe he will be nice depth.

I don't disagree regarding Armstrong. Could see him at SAM. I am not saying Guthrie is going to be an all american, I am just asking: Did you watch Thomas last year? He was lost in coverage. He is a good downhill blitzer, this isn't valued in this scheme. So, yes I am underselling our returning LBs besides Franklin and Bennett, because they have not earned anything more. Armstrong was a freshman so he gets a pass.

Keep in mind fellas, i think some players are listed as a #2, or kept off the 2 deep to light a fire under their arse and motivate.

Enoicy has always been overrated by this board. He was an FIU commit late in the process. I am not entirely sure his offer list was legit.

Don't get the love for Thomas. He is one of our weakest LB's. I don't care how many muscles he got. You have to be able to play. He is inconsistent and he's stiff in coverage. He works hard, good on blitzes and he hustles to the ball. That's the reason he's on the field. I hope he works hard and has a good year but his position is far from being a lock.

Don't get the love for Thomas. He is one of our weakest LB's. I don't care how many muscles he got. You have to be able to play. He is inconsistent and he's stiff in coverage. He works hard, good on blitzes and he hustles to the ball. That's the reason he's on the field. I hope he works hard and has a good year but his position is far from being a lock.

Him too. Due to the Oklahoma offer, everyone thought he'd be starting from day one.

I'll take substance over stars any day of the week. And I think we'll see much more of it with this coaching staff.

I really disagree with Guthrie. I learned over the years that people like new shiny toys. I think people are vastly underselling our current players and over rating the players coming in. If the 3 best linebackers start Armstrong will be the 3rd. I like Guthrie don't get me wrong but he was playing juco, it's not realistic expectations to say he is going to come in here and start over our current players. I believe he will be nice depth.

I love Guthrie's highlights. I think he really looks like a natural player. If he can gain a little bit more weight he could be great. But from everything i've read it sounds like the staff loves Armstrong so you got to think that overtaking him in the pecking order will be difficult. Plus i'm sure they want to get Armstrong a significant amount of snaps if they expect him to take over at MLB next year and run the defense. Either way things look pretty good at LB next year.

A downhill smallish LB that can't play in space in a pass happy league? Sounds like a depth guy who can be good on specials.

I can hardly contain my excitement for football to come back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom