Class of 2018 - 2018 Grad Transfers | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 2018 Grad Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, Geno Thorpe quit the team, therefore it is a failed experiment, doesn't one case make for a completely failed experiment??!
Thorpe alone isn’t why the staff doesn’t want a grad transfer unless that grad transfer completely accepted being a role player.

yeah, Geno Thorpe quit the team, therefore it is a failed experiment, doesn't one case make for a completely failed experiment??!
we're 0 for 3. if jb ever takes another grad transfer, i'll happily admit i was wrong.

aw was not good at defense and displayed no willingness to get better at it. he was here to showcase his offensive skills, period. summing everything up, it was detrimental to overall team success

[
Thorpe alone isn’t why the staff doesn’t want a grad transfer unless that grad transfer completely accepted being a role player.

yeah, good point about playing time. unless the grad transfer is well, kind of a stiff, not sure if any will want to come here to get likely few minutes.

how'd the team do again?

0 for 3

The narrative on that team is completely wrong, IMO. They went 10-8 in the league, after losing our first ACC game @ BC by 20+, after which JB made massive lineup / rotation changes. The revamped lineup overcome the most disastrous non-conference portion of the schedule in JB's coaching history--and honestly, that point cannot be overstated--to come within an eyelash of the NCAA tournament. They beat three teams ranked in the top 10.

If we hadn't started off the season playing several players out of position, with Battle and Gillon on the bench, they would have performed better from the jump and gotten the ONE [and maybe several more] win they needed to make the NCAA tournament.

It was still a flawed team, and one that suffered massive depth problems after several key injuries. But to heap that all on the grad transfers -- nope. We were fortunate to have them.

Last edited:
aw was not good at defense and displayed no willingness to get better at it. he was here to showcase his offensive skills, period. summing everything up, it was detrimental to overall team success

as opposed to the stellar defense and rebounding of the rest of last year's team? please. the entire team played no D and didn't rebound last year, that was a team issue, not just an Andrew White issue

So removing Andrew White would've done what? Cost us another 6-8 W's since we had no other options.

What about Taurean Thompson? He played even worse Defense simply by not trying.

Yeah, AW wasn't a great fit, but how is that his fault? Maybe if the staff has been more proactive about finding options earlier, the grad transfers wouldn't have been so necessary...

I was lucky enough to watch a game from courtside during his run. Out of all the guys on the court, he was the only one talking on the defensive end. He was like a LB calling out plays and where guys were moving. I will partly agree that his d and rebounding were difficult to watch sometimes, but I don't agree with your assessment that he didn't show improvement or willingness to improve.

We can afford to give up some defense if it brings offense.
The Staff would take another AW tomorrow.
He wasn’t a troublemaker.
That team in general was bad defensively it wasn’t just White.

The narrative on that team is completely wrong, IMO. They went 10-8 in the league, after losing our first ACC game @ BC by 20+, after which JB made massive lineup / rotation changes. The revamped lineup overcome the most disastrous non-conference portion of the schedule in JB's coaching history--and honestly, that point cannot be overstated--to come within an eyelash of the NCAA tournament. They beat three teams ranked in the top 10.

If we hadn't started off the season playing several players out of position, with Battle and Gillon on the bench, they would have performed better from the jump and gotten the ONE [and maybe several more] win they needed to make the NCAA tournament.

It was still a flawed team, and one that suffered massive depth problems after several key injuries. But to heap that all on the grad transfers -- nope. We were fortunate to have them.
i don't put it all on the grad transfers, and we couldn't have fielded a competitive team without them.
but they were not fully part of the program culture and it unintentionally had a negative effect on team chemistry.
then thorpe confirmed it all. i think there is a clear lesson to be learned and i suspect that we'll not see another one while jb is head coach

i don't put it all on the grad transfers, and we couldn't have fielded a competitive team without them.
but they were not fully part of the program culture and it unintentionally had a negative effect on team chemistry.
then thorpe confirmed it all. i think there is a clear lesson to be learned and i suspect that we'll not see another one while jb is head coach

We both know that wasn't what impacted team chemistry.

I'll certainly grant that they weren't the best system fits defensively.

So, with out AW and Gillon, who would have played guard.
We don't win 10 you know what games without those guys, not 10.

its laughable to expect a 5th year to be anything more than a good player, given the "great ones" have long since jumped

Gillon was a good player and AW3 turned out to be a very good one

the other guy flaked, shoulda known by the hair. what happened there shouldn't influence anything going forward

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to watch a game from courtside during his run. Out of all the guys on the court, he was the only one talking on the defensive end. He was like a LB calling out plays and where guys were moving. I will partly agree that his d and rebounding were difficult to watch sometimes, but I don't agree with your assessment that he didn't show improvement or willingness to improve.
agreed. AW mostly worked hard on D. It also takes time to learn the zone and he got better as the season went on. AW just doesn’t have the length and superior lateral quickness we usually look for with our forwards.

Last edited:
how'd the team do again?

0 for 3
Wasn't his fault. If were going to keep losing guys to the NBA and now g league we have no other choice but to go this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom