Class of 2018 - 2018 Grad Transfers | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 2018 Grad Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
PF Femi Olujobi- grad transfer from NC A&T 16pts and 8 rebounds per game. Put up 21 and 4 against Clemson, 18 and 8 against Gtown, and 21 and 4 against VIrginia Tech. He is originally from Long Island and he can hit the 3!

The name sounds familiar from the past. He spent 2 years but barely played at Oakland before transaferring!

He's going to seek somewhere where he can get significant minutes. Averaged 31.9 MPG.

His 3PT percentage was 29%.

He's received interest from about 50 programs already according to himself.

I'd happily add him, but I can't see JB having much interest.

Kid is probably 6'7", so where does he play defensively? The zone kills us with kids like this. Can he guard the wing? Would JB be comfortable having him man the middle? That offensive game is something we DESPERATELY NEED, but we've seen that is not something prioritized for bigs.

Now if the staff was confident in his ability to play forward and maybe slide inside for 5-10 minutes, I could see him getting 25-30 minutes if the D holds up. Oshae 32-35 minutes and Marek 25-30 minutes, would open up 15-20 for him at forward. I know it's not happening, but he would be a perfect offensive elixir.

6-11 215. Former top 150 recruit who originally went to USC

23 mins a game.

6.4 pts on 58% shooting
4.7 rebs
.9 block
9/19 from 3

--Even if JB somehow goes the Grad route, I doubt he'd go after another USF one (and it can probably be said it's unlikely another USF grad would want to play at SU), but he seems like a guy that makes some sense

Last edited:

6-9 195

22.6 mins game
4.7 points
.426 FG%
2.4 rebs
.4 blocks
38/100 from 3

Obviously a lot of factors at play--he might want a bigger role than we can offer, etc. But there's a possibility of an ideal fit here with his experience playing in Rob Murphy's zone at EMU.

6-11 215. Former top 150 recruit who originally went to USC

23 mins a game.

6.4 pts on 58% shooting
4.7 rebs
.9 block
9/19 from 3

--Even if JB somehow goes the Grad route, I doubt he'd go after another USF one (and it can probably be said it's unlikely another USF grad would want to play at SU), but he seems like a guy that makes some sense
6-9 195

22.6 mins game
4.7 points
.426 FG%
2.4 rebs
.4 blocks
38/100 from 3

Obviously a lot of factors at play--he might want a bigger role than we can offer, etc. But there's a possibility of an ideal fit here with his experience playing in Rob Murphy's zone at EMU.
Both sound good to me. One as a backup forward (Nobles), the other as a third center (Martin). Perfect. Come on down!!

6-9 195

22.6 mins game
4.7 points
.426 FG%
2.4 rebs
.4 blocks
38/100 from 3

A guy that avged 4.7 pts and 2.4 rebs at Eastern Michigan might want a bigger role than we can offer? Are you serious?

A guy that avged 4.7 pts and 2.4 rebs at Eastern Michigan might want a bigger role than we can offer? Are you serious?

That was just one hypothetical factor that I threw out there.

And looking at Nobles, he's been a contributor but mostly a career backup at EMU. I have absolutely no idea what he's looking for, but am I serious he might be prioritizing a shot at a starting role at his next school, something Syracuse couldn't offer him... Sure?

if i was a grad transfer forward, i'd look at syracuse and jb's usage patterns and conclude there would be no more than 8-10 minutes per game of pt available. even with bazley gone. if that's not enough for a program kid like moyer, why would a transfer looking to make his last big mark take it?

now, if brissett takes the plunge, it's a different matter altogether.

if i was a grad transfer forward, i'd look at syracuse and jb's usage patterns and conclude there would be no more than 8-10 minutes per game of pt available. even with bazley gone. if that's not enough for a program kid like moyer, why would a transfer looking to make his last big mark take it?

Yes, exactly right. We would only be taking a 5 th year senior transfer if that person is willing to sit the bench and play very limited back up minutes. It’s a tough sell and you likely are only getting a low level transfer. Now I am all for regular transfers with two years of eligibility

Yes, exactly right. We would only be taking a 5 th year senior transfer if that person is willing to sit the bench and play very limited back up minutes. It’s a tough sell and you likely are only getting a low level transfer. Now I am all for regular transfers with two years of eligibility
traditional forward transfer would be great . . . getting a year to learn the system rather than being thrown right into it is valuable. and a year practicing against oshae & marek would be doubly so. need to have at least 10 scholarship athletes just for full practices

But wouldn't this also be true of any one-and-done player fresh out of High School as well? Yet we still get them to come here. With Bazley now out of the picture, why wouldn't a grad transfer believe that he would get HIS minutes, especially if they have any confidence in themselves?

Cheers,
Neil

But wouldn't this also be true of any one-and-done player fresh out of High School as well? Yet we still get them to come here. With Bazley now out of the picture, why wouldn't a grad transfer believe that he would get HIS minutes, especially if they have any confidence in themselves?

Cheers,
Neil
the one and done had no idea that brissett is himself going to blow up into a potential 2019 first rounder and didn't even know who dolezaj was. any grad transfer who looks at this situation and thinks they are getting bazley's minutes is delusional, and the geno thorpe experience tells us we don't want that cat

It's not minutes, it's talent. Moyer's play, in general, did not deserve time.

the one and done had no idea that brissett is himself going to blow up into a potential 2019 first rounder and didn't even know who dolezaj was. any grad transfer who looks at this situation and thinks they are getting bazley's minutes is delusional, and the geno thorpe experience tells us we don't want that cat

So Bazley really went to the G-League because he wasn't going to get enough minutes due to Brisset and Dolezaj? Sorry, not buying it, especially in Marek's minutes case. He got his minutes frankly because he was a better option than Matt. If one wants to argue that a decent PF grad transfer is likely to get more minutes elsewhere such as Pitt that's fine. But the notion that they would be scared off due to limited minutes because of Dolezaj' minutes means to me they would be a grad transfer not worth getting anyway.

Cheers,
Neil

So Bazley really went to the G-League because he wasn't going to get enough minutes due to Brisset and Dolezaj? Sorry, not buying it, especially in Marek's minutes case. He got his minutes frankly because he was a better option than Matt. If one wants to argue that a decent PF grad transfer is likely to get more minutes elsewhere such as Pitt that's fine. But the notion that they would be scared off due to limited minutes because of Dolezaj' minutes means to me they would be a grad transfer not worth getting anyway.

Cheers,
Neil
no, that is not at all what i'm saying. not even remotely; it is a bizarre reading of my point. bazley went because he felt getting paid to learn was the better move for him.

for grad transfers, the best will be able to read the writing on the wall. playing time is not there for the taking: they have to beat out two guys with a year of experience in the system - a potential first round pick who as a freshman was already 7th in the nation in minutes played, and another freshman who came on strong at the end of the year and played ~35 mpg himself in the month of march.

i'm against grad transfers in any case; i think the evidence is clear that it has been a failed experiment for the syracuse culture. but i don't think it will be an issue this year because anyone worthwhile will want guaranteed pt and there is clearly a fight waiting for anyone who is not a 5 star mcd aa and likely lottery pick.
meaning nobody.

no, that is not at all what i'm saying. not even remotely; it is a bizarre reading of my point. bazley went because he felt getting paid to learn was the better move for him.

for grad transfers, the best will be able to read the writing on the wall. playing time is not there for the taking: they have to beat out two guys with a year of experience in the system - a potential first round pick who as a freshman was already 7th in the nation in minutes played, and another freshman who came on strong at the end of the year and played ~35 mpg himself in the month of march.

i'm against grad transfers in any case; i think the evidence is clear that it has been a failed experiment for the syracuse culture. but i don't think it will be an issue this year because anyone worthwhile will want guaranteed pt and there is clearly a fight waiting for anyone who is not a 5 star mcd aa and likely lottery pick.
meaning nobody.
Right. For a backup forward, I think we should shake the tree and look overseas for another Dolezaj type who wants to play college ball in the States. Maybe another Yurtseven type kid who can play the 4-5 spot will become available this spring.

6-9 195
22.6 mins game
38/100 from 3

This seems like a perfect fit for a backup forward. He knows the defense and has the size and shooting skill to contribute. And it's not like he's going to want to get 30 minutes a night. He wasn't even starting at EMU this season.

The EMU Media Guide says his major is communications, so maybe he would be interested in a Masters Degree from Newhouse?

meaning nobody.
I love the “against grad transfer” crowd. We almost annually have guys leaving for draft,transferring out, not showing up and flatly leaving the team and the ONLY possible way to get enough reasonably qualified players in time to field a team is the grad transfer route. Failed experiment? Always entertained by your posts.

I love the “against grad transfer” crowd. We almost annually have guys leaving for draft,transferring out, not showing up and flatly leaving the team and the ONLY possible way to get enough reasonably qualified players in time to field a team is the grad transfer route. Failed experiment? Always entertained by your posts.

yeah, Geno Thorpe quit the team, therefore it is a failed experiment, doesn't one case make for a completely failed experiment??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom