2018 Mets thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Mets thread

and wheeler almost pitched better down the stretch.. if anything Thor has been the 4 guy the last 6-7 weeks..

find a solid 5th and a closer next year.. get the big guy back healthy and figure out 1st base..

they keep saying alonso is bad at first but dang if he hits close to what he does in the minors is that really worth not using him. with better pitching he may not need to make as many plays, teams dont bunt, and what are his errors from throwing/fielding/catching?

Brent Axe was talking about how Scott Boris will demand $400 million over 10 years for Bryce Harper. He cited Harper's 'WAR' - wins above replacement, which has decline from 10.0 in 2015 to 1.2 this year. I wondered about MAR: Money above replacement. If a team sings Harper for $400 million over 10 years, will they make more than $00 million minus whatever they would have had to play the player they would have used instead because they've got Bryce Harper on their team?

Take the Mets, (and this is a fantasy because the Wilpons aren't going to pay anybody $400 million). Suppose the alternative to Harper was Brandon Nimmo.

Harper Bryce Harper Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
.246BA .393OBP .498SP WAR: 1.2

Nimmo: Brandon Nimmo Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
.262BA, .388OBP .449SP WAR: 4.1

Nimmo hustles and is a fan favorite. Harper once said the player he most admired was Pete Rose but he's developing a reputation for not running it out to first base. Harper has the better career resume by far but Nimmo has just started. This was his first really full year. We aren't sure how good he could be.

Would the Mets make $400 million more in the next ten years with Harper instead of Nimmo?

The Mets' announcers are saying that DeGrom is done after the 8th inning. I hope not after what happened last night and so many other times...

Fortunately Lugo went 3 up, 3 down. DeGrom wound up 10-9 with a 1.70ERA, 269 strikeouts, 46 walks.

Beat that!

So I think it’s safe to say that deGrom’s got the Cy Young locked up. It’d be nice to get him one more win in his last start so he’d be a “winning pitcher” this season. I’m so beyond using wins as a worthwhile category for pitching prowess. I’ve advocated for years for using quality starts as a category in my fantasy leagues as well, but really, a quality start isn’t all that quality if you hit the bare minimum. (6IP, 3ER or less gets you an ERA of 4.50 if you hit the baseline requirement.)

What Jake has done this year, in this era, has been remarkable. I thought after 2013 we wouldn’t see another Met season like we did with Harvey, but here we are.

I'm a Braves fan, don't like the Mets at all. But any fool can see deGrom deserves the Cy Young and it's not even close. Anyone that votes otherwise should have to explain themselves.

Degrom faces the braves 5 times has an ERA of .9 and got 1 win for the effort..

Incredible what Jacob has done this season.

Should we go ahead and pencil McNeil in as the starting 2nd baseman next season? I think so.

75 wins! that means we won't tie the record for the worst regular season record ever for a team that started off 11-1, (the 2002 Indians finished 74-88).

I hate to say this, but if the Mets address the bullpen and sign one more bat this offseason they could be very good next year. Lots of young guys with promise all over the roster and Wheeler took a big step forward this year.

I agree. They are not that far off. Need a more reliable bullpen and need to settle the catcher and first base positions. Starting pitching is strong.

I hate to say this, but if the Mets address the bullpen and sign one more bat this offseason they could be very good next year. Lots of young guys with promise all over the roster and Wheeler took a big step forward this year.

No reason to hate to say that. the big thing is: when are we going to have a year where we weren't devastated by injuries. It may be the "Curse of Citi Field" because we seem to have more than normal injury problems every year since we moved in there. Our opening day outfield of Cespedes, Conforto and Bruce had a total of 629 bases produced (TB + BB + SB) and 230 runs produced (RBI + RS -HR) this year. using their best previous years as Mets, (Cespedes 2016, Conforto 2017, Bruce 2017- including his stint with the Indians), they produced 914 bases and 387 runs. Then Frazier missed 50 games, Legares was batting .339 when he got hurt after 30 games and Travis d'Arnaud had his annual April injury that destroyed his season.
d'Arnaud has played 397 games in six years, 66 a year. The Mets have played 972 games in those 6 years. Cespedes has played in 308 of the 545 games the Mets have played since they acquired him.

By the way, Wheeler wasn't the only Mets pitcher who got it together down the stretch. Jason Vargas' picture was next to the word "horrible" in the dictionary most of the season, was 5-1 with a 2.82 ERA in his last 8 starts. I don't know what their plans for him are but he could be a piece of the puzzle next year.

Play the kid at first.. unload Bruce for something and go with Nimmo/Conforto and wait for Cespedes and see what you get. Can Alonso really be worse than Bruce at first? But if he hits at all he needs to play.

You may need to keep bruce around until Cespedes comes back to float between first and right.

Largas/Jackson are serviceble

No Idea what to do at catcher

mesoraco hit 11 hr in 80+games
Plawecki hit 7 in 70+..

so .220 and 20Hr from the catcher if the other pieces are solid wont kill us.

Keep Flores, Dump smith, find one more infielder.

Is this McNeil for real? have to hope so.

Kudos to Wright from a Braves fan on a great career. Sad his body couldn't hold up but hopefully he can have a healthy post-baseball life. Many guys would have stayed on for the money.

The season began on Thursday, March 29 with Noah Syndergaard pitching a 1-0 shut out over the St. Louis Cardinals. It ended on Sunday September 30th with Noah Syndergaard pitching a 1-0 victory over the Miami Marlins. In between we went 75-85. Here is the monthly breakdown:

April 17-9, (thanks to a 11-1 start).
May 10-18
June 5-21 (They said that was the third worst month in Mets history and the worst not coached by Casey Stengel.)
July 12-12
August 15-15
September 18-10

I don't think they were a bad team. I think they actually were a pretty good team that had a very bad stretch, primarily due to injuries. Mickey Callaway had been a pitching coach and the team's pitching hugely improved: from a 5.01 ERA, 1374 strikeouts, 593 walks and 863 runs scored against the Mets in 2017 to 4.10/ 1440/ 484/ 707 this year. But the bats went from .250/.320/.434 and 735 runs scored to .235/.313/.390 and 675 runs scored. If the 2019 Mets can just combine the 2017 offense with the 2018 pitching, they'll contend for the playoffs. Hopefully, we can do better than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom