2018 roster management | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2018 roster management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starters: Howard, Carey, Oshae, Marek, PC

Buddy and Elijah play 15-20 each between the 2/3 spots. Sid subs in for Paschal and occasionally plays the 4 next to him. We need Howard Washington for insurance as a 9th body so we don't allow him to redshirt even though he probably should.

Other thoughts.
1. Don't be shocked if Carey comes off the bench since hes the only guard other than Frank who can play the point and one of Buddy or Hughes ends up starting. Think Triche and Dion with Carey being Dion and one of those two Brandon.
2. Love the team but HW and Sid's injury situation worries me. We might really lament not being able to redshirt one/both of them next year due to numbers if they are still getting over their injuries. Add Bazley to that lineup and I bet both end up getting redshirted with Marek getting most of his minutes at the 5. We'll miss Moyer next year since he can play across the front court 3-5 if Sid isn't 100%. This is where I look for an athletic juco/euro/grad someone with a high motor that might not be as tall as we want but can give us minutes at the 5, rebound, and be a disruptive presence on the wings. Need to scout for someone like the guys on Buffalo to fill that role IMO.
Hughes is very good. Or so I have been told.

If Boeheim is as good of a shooter as they say and can hit 40-45% from 3 and play adequate D, how can that not be an answer to a lot of questions?

You may not like me. Fine
We all have sources.
After the Bazley news I hit mine up.
They told me we are done.
Others did the same.
Others have said the same.
Again I know you don’t believe this but I want what I was told to be wrong.
We need another front court player.
I am not making up what I was told.
My opinions are opinions what I was told wasn’t an opinion.
You can choose not to believe fine.
The staff doesn’t want to go grad transfer route Jake basically said something similar to what I was told. One of the people he said I would say I heard more things he knows.

I am sure we wanted that kid who chose Seton Hall. If there comes out a decommitment that interests the staff I am hoping they pursue. I was told there is nothing out there now they want. Thus we are done for now.
This is the part that some are missing. We aren't happy about what we heard. we want another player or even two. We want JB to change his mind on this. And that is what it will be. But if you don't want to believe that, fine. If you want, we want Jb to decide to bring in another guy or two. I want the kid that was talked about on the recruitment board the other day. 5th year guy, 6-8, shoots 42% from 3. Sign me up!

If Boeheim is as good of a shooter as they say and can hit 40-45% from 3 and play adequate D, how can that not be an answer to a lot of questions?

He isn't a forward. Everyone knows we are set at guard.

I fear that there is a thought, and I haven't been told this, that Buddy could play the 2 and swing Hughes to the 3. I suppose that could work. But I would rather pick up a player with more experience.

100% agree. It's a 3 guard rotation of Howard/Carey/Buddy and 3 forward rotation of Hughes/Brissett/Marek. I think that's what ends up happening next year. That's certainly a lot more offense than we had this year, but the defense could be significantly worse which would offset any incremental offensive improvement. This is why I wish we at least played some man. We have limited flexibility who we can have on the court due to a need for length on the back line.

I fear that there is a thought, and I haven't been told this, that Buddy could play the 2 and swing Hughes to the 3. I suppose that could work. But I would rather pick up a player with more experience.

I wonder if the plan isn't to sub Hughes for the 1, 2, or 3. Not that he'd play point, but that he could sub for either backcourt spot, letting either Carey or Frank run point. He'd be the primary sub at 3, same logic, either Oshae or Dolezaj play alongside him.

Sidibe subs at 5. 7 player rotation, with two subs covering the bench.

100% agree. It's a 3 guard rotation of Howard/Carey/Buddy and 3 forward rotation of Hughes/Brissett/Marek. I think that's what ends up happening next year. That's certainly a lot more offense than we had this year, but the defense could be significantly worse which would offset any incremental offensive improvement. This is why I wish we at least played some man. We have limited flexibility who we can have on the court due to a need for length on the back line.
I'm not sure the defense will take the hit you suggest. the back line returns. And they return with a lot more experience. The front court has Frank. I think Hughes will also get some minutes at the 2. There will be a learning curb for Carey and Buddy. No question. But it's only one part of the zone. I have been told that Buddy is some kind of worker so there is that.

He isn't a forward. Everyone knows we are set at guard.

Pretty much all of our guards that have been on our roster the last decade are tall enough to play the 3 for a short period of time its never going to happen given the guys on the roster but I think even Frank for example is tall enough and would do well playing a 5 minute stretch against certain teams on the wing. Buddy probably spends most of his time at guard but he'll play there if hes on the court with Carey and Howard. I hope we go small more next year and throw an extra shooter on the floor. Against certain teams Marek can play the 5 with Oshae at 4 and 3 guards.

lol Yep. We are lying or making it up. Or maybe we are trying a reverse thing where we want them to bring in someone so that we are saying that they won't. Or maybe we heard it from not one but two coaches. If only Jb had a way to communicate to his coaches when he was away from Syracuse. I predict that someday there will be a tool for that.

If your source is a coach, then Griff is lying.

If you are going to call Dasher FOS atleast say it instead of this halfway routine.
He has a source and I have a different source and they both said the same thing.
You don’t like the message fine.
Did Griffin say we are still looking? Or did he just say the coaches have a meeting this week.
Also Griffin gave Bazley cover. Look at what Jake said about Bazley telling the coaches about his decision.

griff said that not all the coaches were at the ff. That is true. He said they are meeting later this week. They are. I don't know and didn't hear his interview to comment anymore than that. I can't give you my sources. And I won't. But they above reproach.

ding ding ding the funny thing is we want the same thing. Players to be added.
Yeah, and I don’t get people who say there is an agenda. We WANT players. If the staff targets players, that’ll be great and doesn’t mean the plan as we know it RIGHT NOW is to keep the roster as is. I think a big consideration is the staff doesn’t like the options out there right now. That can change.

To me, I’d like us to find someone on the foreign market.

Yeah, and I don’t get people who say there is an agenda. We WANT players. If the staff targets players, that’ll be great and doesn’t mean the plan as we know it RIGHT NOW is to keep the roster as is. I think a big consideration is the staff doesn’t like the options out there right now. That can change.

If there is one that is constant, it is JBs desire to win. If there is an option out there he thinks will work, he'll go after it. No doubt in my mind.

that is the thing. Once again, we don't want to end up being right. Unlike you, I would take that 6-8 forward 5th year guy from Long Island.

If there is one that is constant, it is JBs desire to win. If there is an option out there he thinks will work, he'll go after it. No doubt in my mind.
your lips to his ears

griff said that not all the coaches were at the ff. That is true. He said they are meeting later this week. They are. I don't know and didn't hear his interview to comment anymore than that. I can't give you my sources. And I won't. But they above reproach.

You must have a shot memory. Lol. You told me years ago who your source was. He’s a very good source. But not a coach. I can actually see the scenario going like this. Jb finds out about Baz. Immediately calls an asst, or all of them in conference, is all pissed off, “$&:()$&@ screw it we’ll go with what we have, $&$;/&@$.”. Then he calms down and cooler heads prevail and decides they’ll talk later this week when he gets back about next plans.

It’s all good.

Last edited:
Can I answer? That first year was what we look like before sanctions take place. if, we were under sanctions for the rest of time, a result like that would be an outlier. Buy we aren't. things will get better. As an aside, I think the league has got better over that 14-4 season. That team doesn't go 14-4 in the old Big East. Probably doesn't go 14-4 in this years ACC.

We were rolling then. Times changed a lot with early entries and probation. One part is now over, the question is how to we manage the guys that go quick.

I realize that the sanctions have had a degree of contribution, but I'm not convinced it is the most significant reason. Who, besides Huerter, did we not land specifically related to the sanctions? He is the only name that I've heard come up here often, but no others that I can recall specifically being mentioned. I do feel that missing out on the recruits we went hard after, along with a few recruits we did land who didn't/haven't turned out to be as good as thought have been bigger issues. Additionally, I think the unforeseen or early departures of our better/top players to the NBA have also been a bigger factor than the sanctions. As it has been mentioned here by several, we seldom ever go too deep with our roster in regards to guys that play minutes, especially minutes that matter as when the game's result is still in question. Actually, I recall listening to ESPN radio immediately after the sanctions hit where Jay Bilas (a fan of most here, JB and SU's) stated basically the same because of SU's/JB's style and how many typically play meaningful minutes. It's possible that his comments were a bit short sided though from a developmental/depth standpoint.

We have lost guys early to the NBA prior to the sanctions, so this isn't anything new the past 4 seasons with sanctions in place. Players transferring and getting injured are also nothing new and have generally been part of the equation with roster management, etc. As in business, there are always external and internal factors that come into play, some foreseen/anticipated, and some not. However, over the course of a specific time frame, the statistically result is objective and general projection or median can be concluded. It appears from a statistically standpoint, measuring the full 5 year period we have been in the ACC, that one could conclude that that 14-4 result was indeed an outlier.

Time will tell moving forward with more data (seasons in the ACC) what the objective statistics will accurately portray.

If you are going to call Dasher FOS atleast say it instead of this halfway routine.
He has a source and I have a different source and they both said the same thing.
You don’t like the message fine.
Did Griffin say we are still looking? Or did he just say the coaches have a meeting this week.
Also Griffin gave Bazley cover. Look at what Jake said about Bazley telling the coaches about his decision.

Lol. I know dashers source. I don’t know yours. Is yours a coach? Someone that talks to an actual coach on a regular basis? Is it even someone in the basketball office?

You must have a shot memory. Lol. You told me years ago who your source was. He’s a very good source. But not a coach. I can actually see the scenario going like this. Jb finds out about Baz. Immediately calls an asst, or all of them in conference, is all pussed off, “$&:()$&@ screw it we’ll go with what we have, $&$;/&@$.”. Then he calms down and cooler heads prevail and decides they’ll talk later this week when he gets back about next plans.

It’s all good.
I can see that.

Lol. I know dashers source. I don’t know yours. Is yours a coach? Someone that talks to an actual coach on a regular basis? Is it even someone in the basketball office?
Shoot me a PM and promise you won’t reveal I will tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.