2018 Wide Receivers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Wide Receivers

I've been a big fan of RTB from the start. I'm going with him to be a surprise this year. Since most of the passing game went through Ish and Erv, I feel like I don't even know enough about the other guys who played like Butler and the Brothers Johnson. I'm also in the not expecting much from Custis camp.

To max out the offense we the Neal types to be the slot guys , catch it, make moves, make big plays.. between Pierre/Strick and the FR we need to find 2 RB who can keep the chains moving.. if the oline does improve then the RB dont have to make plays just finish them.. It also lets you be creative and move Moe into the backfield when you want on 3rd down out of 3-4-5 WR sets.

Riley is right there to be a starter but I think many feel there are 4-5 options that have much higher top end due to speed and size and thats a good thing.

We dont see our WRs break tackles and extend plays and add yards. The guys we are adding all have that ability and lets hope 1-2 of them do it.

Here are some times I found during a quick surf.

RTB: 10.94 100 22.10 200m
CJ: couldn't find time, do not think he ran track
NJ: 11.07 22.5
SJ: 10.98 22.52
SR: 11.21 21.92
MN: no times found
JC: no times found
TH: 11.34 24.13
CL: 10.77 23.31
AQ; no times found
EH: no times found
DB: 11.01 22.19

So of the WRs we have times for, RTB has the fastest 100m.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like Cooper Lutz has the fastest 100m time (10.77 vs 10.94 RTB). And isn't 10.77 a really good 100m time?

The battles for PT at the WR positions over the next few years are going to be amazing - TONS of young talent trying to get on the field :)

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like Cooper Lutz has the fastest 100m time (10.77 vs 10.94 RTB). And isn't 10.77 a really good 100m time?

The battles for PT at the WR positions over the next few years are going to be amazing - TONS of young talent trying to get on the field :)

sub 11 is flying.

I don't believe he enrolled early. After looking a little more, I did find a 10.77 100m for him. So he is actually the fastest of the bunch (if all these times are to be believed).

Trying to respond to other points in the thread, I agree that the staff would like to keep Moe at RB for the 2018 season, as there really is no speed back with experience except him. But between Howard and Pierce, I think they have guys who can run as fast as Moe but are a lot bigger, more capable of breaking tackles and more physically capable of pass blocking in the event of a blitz. That is something that is really needed in this offense; your 3rd down RB needs to be able to pick up a blitzing LB or safety and hold him off from getting to the QB. I like Moe a lot but he is just too small to do this. When he was put in this situation last season, things didn't go well and I don't think he will ever be even adequate here.

The situation at the two inside WR positions is pretty dire. Nykeim Johnson was not ready to play last season and got destroyed/abused most times the ball was supposed to go his way. I think he makes a big jump up and emerges as a reliable WR but even that isn't a given. Then you have Riley, who is tough and a great kid but he just isn't big enough to get a lot of touches and he really isn't that fast either, which could help offset the size limitations. And there is the blocking thing...all these WRs need to block in this scheme. Sean is not going to win many battles blocking against players far bigger than he is.

So who else is going to get touches in the slot? True freshmen? Bottom line, I think the other options at RB are better than the other options at inside WR. Moe isn't going to be a great blocker either but he is better suited to the job than Riley and I think blocking from the slot is a little easier than picking up blitzes in the pocket. Moe is a play maker, he has proven that. Get him the ball in space and he will deliver. The best way to do that is to put him in the slot. As a side note, I love Harris and Lutz and think they will be great players. But both are from the Northeast, haven't played a ton of football and both played another position most of the time in HS (Harris at QB and Lutz at RB). They are unlikely going to as ready to play right away as someone like Queeley.

Moe might well end up at RB. It is going to be a tough decision.

Riley isn't that fast? Word is he's the fastest guy on the team. I agree that he's too small. He's a guy that should have been redshirted but unfortunately was needed that first season. It was very disappointing that he didn't gain any weight last off season. Hopefully the S&C coaches can somehow get him up to 175lbs over these next 6 months. I think his production would go way up

If I had to guess who will play out of the true freshmen I'd say Hendrix and Lutz. Hendrix because I think he's the best WR recruit we've had in a while. And Lutz because he's needed in the slot. It sounds as though he is fully recovered from his junior year knee injury and his weightlifting videos confirm it. He is a strong kid, physically ready for the ACC.

Queeley may play too, McCloud mentioned in his signing day vid that physically he has the tools to play early.

Harris probably needs to hit the weights before playing. He's 6'2" but only 175# and looks skinny

Good insights. My understanding is that Cordy is the fastest player on the team. I would believe Riley is the quickest player on the team and could have the fastest 40 time on the team.

Lutz is faster than Harris and a lot more ready to play from a physical standpoint (he is listed at about 190). Would be surprised if Taj beats him out. Really like Taj though. That kid is a stud athlete.

Hopefully Pierre, Howard, and Dixon can handle the running back position, Strickland, and Moe would both be better at WR, they both are good when they are in space, Strickland had that long catch, and run against Florida St as a freshman.

Big fan of Cooper Lutz from everything I have heard/seen. Think he might be one of the most under radar type of guys we have had in a while. I wouldn't be shocked if he got a lot of PT as a Frosh.
Don't see any WR on the roster producing anywhere near AET or Ish's senior year numbers the past couple years. They kind of came out of nowhere but had a base to build on. The guys we have now have very little in the way of college receptions to build upon. They aren't going to explode into stars. I thin either Butler or Custis probably get the nod at outside WR. But a guy like RTB or possibly even Hendrix as a frosh will mix in with one of them or possibly even beat one out to get some young talent there that can develop. RTB and Hendrix have the speed and size we need and RTB has had a year to figure it out. Feel like guys like RTB, Hendrix and Queely are probably the future at outside WR as they seem to be the prototype we need out there. Think that future will hit as early as this year if Custis and Butler don't produce as needed. Even though nobody thinks Custis can produce I think he is the most talented of the two and he also got the starting gig last year before getting hurt in the second game and even the year before was close to starting before AET took his spot. Hopefully he can have an injury free season for once but his track record isn't good. Trishton Jackson should add some additional talent there with critical deep speed in 2019.

I wonder if Harris will start at inside WR or outside. Hope its at inside WR. I would love to get somebody with size at that position. Lutz definitely seems to have the speed and strength to play early but I guestion if he will have the WR skills this season as he didn't really play is Junior year and was a RB his Sophmore and Senior seasons. Just guessing that his route running, hands and feel for the position may need a year of work before he can hope for significant snaps. I think Harris is more ready skill wise but could use some time in the weight room. But at 175 lbs he could be OK if needed. Thinking neither gets much run this year but both could be huge in the future. Kind of hoping Sharrod Johnson makes the switch to the slot. He seems to have a good package for that spot and being 5'-11" with his speed and hands he could have a good future there. If not he has a decent shot at PT at outside WR. I kind of feel like it may be be Nykeim Sharrod at slot in 2018. Feel like even though Moe could make a decent slot he will stick at RB as he did pretty well there at the end of the year and he is the burst/speed option we need to have at that position. I really like Howard's skill set but feel he won't see much time there as the mental demand of the RB position are more important in this offense. Pierre could end up playing a lot but is more of tan every down type of back similar to Howard. Think he'll definitely get more run this year.

Back to WR...I feel like Riley at 5'-8" 155 will get phased out a bit. He really has not been able to produce too much considering the decent amount of PT he has gotten. Really surprised how many snaps he's gotten at his size the past couple years. He has pretty good speed but it doesn't mean much when you can get taken down so easily. We are just getting more talented at WR and that talent is younger and has a higher ceiling. Disappoined he couldn't put on 15 more pounds but everyones body is different. Hey maybe this is the year his body changes. I couldn't gain anything until I was like 22 so who knows.

I don't believe he enrolled early. After looking a little more, I did find a 10.77 100m for him. So he is actually the fastest of the bunch (if all these times are to be believed).

Trying to respond to other points in the thread, I agree that the staff would like to keep Moe at RB for the 2018 season, as there really is no speed back with experience except him. But between Howard and Pierce, I think they have guys who can run as fast as Moe but are a lot bigger, more capable of breaking tackles and more physically capable of pass blocking in the event of a blitz. That is something that is really needed in this offense; your 3rd down RB needs to be able to pick up a blitzing LB or safety and hold him off from getting to the QB. I like Moe a lot but he is just too small to do this. When he was put in this situation last season, things didn't go well and I don't think he will ever be even adequate here.

The situation at the two inside WR positions is pretty dire. Nykeim Johnson was not ready to play last season and got destroyed/abused most times the ball was supposed to go his way. I think he makes a big jump up and emerges as a reliable WR but even that isn't a given. Then you have Riley, who is tough and a great kid but he just isn't big enough to get a lot of touches and he really isn't that fast either, which could help offset the size limitations. And there is the blocking thing...all these WRs need to block in this scheme. Sean is not going to win many battles blocking against players far bigger than he is.

So who else is going to get touches in the slot? True freshmen? Bottom line, I think the other options at RB are better than the other options at inside WR. Moe isn't going to be a great blocker either but he is better suited to the job than Riley and I think blocking from the slot is a little easier than picking up blitzes in the pocket. Moe is a play maker, he has proven that. Get him the ball in space and he will deliver. The best way to do that is to put him in the slot. As a side note, I love Harris and Lutz and think they will be great players. But both are from the Northeast, haven't played a ton of football and both played another position most of the time in HS (Harris at QB and Lutz at RB). They are unlikely going to as ready to play right away as someone like Queeley.

Moe might well end up at RB. It is going to be a tough decision.
Good take. I like Mo in the slot and do feel that Johnson makes a big jump. Of the frosh i have a feeling that Lutz makes the 2 deep. Im very high on sweetness "JH" and think he ends up getting significant snaps at RB as we havnt had a RB as physically ready as him in years. The kid is jacked and fast.
Lets hope so as MO in space could be special.

Good insights. My understanding is that Cordy is the fastest player on the team. I would believe Riley is the quickest player on the team and could have the fastest 40 time on the team.

Lutz is faster than Harris and a lot more ready to play from a physical standpoint (he is listed at about 190). Would be surprised if Taj beats him out. Really like Taj though. That kid is a stud athlete.
I hope Cordy returns punts and kicks this year as it is his only hope to make the NFL

Dungey needs to have a WR he can trust. At least one that he can count on to catch the ball, especially on 3rd downs. I don't know the hands of the redshirt or true freshmen or their route running skills but one is needed to step up and make the ED comfortable. Butler gets open which is good but his hands worry me, I'm sure they will get better. Speed and size are nice but if they can't catch or run their routes like a chicken with his head cut off, it ain't going to help much. I see a lot of potential here and I'm hoping this spring we'll see some ACC ready talent.

Oh and I'd like to add I love to see Strik and Moe get more dump offs from ED instead of ED taking off. The less hits for ED the better especially if 1 of those 2 guys are blocking.

Don't see any WR on the roster producing anywhere near AET or Ish's senior year numbers the past couple years...
AET was a non-factor for 4 years at MD minus one game that he torched.....well us. He exploded in this system as Dungey's #1
FF to last year, people said no way ISH can match AET's production, well he surpasssed it.
That brings me to this year...we'll be fine. Despite that fact that I gave somebody crap for a comment they made about our WRs, my problem was more in the logic of their statement than my actual belief in our players. I'm not worried about WR.

Dungey needs to have a WR he can trust. At least one that he can count on to catch the ball, especially on 3rd downs. I don't know the hands of the redshirt or true freshmen or their route running skills but one is needed to step up and make the ED comfortable. Butler gets open which is good but his hands worry me, I'm sure they will get better. Speed and size are nice but if they can't catch or run their routes like a chicken with his head cut off, it ain't going to help much. I see a lot of potential here and I'm hoping this spring we'll see some ACC ready talent.
Pierce!

Everyone’s so worried about replacing Ishmael’s gaudy numbers that they forget how effective we rightly should expect Pierce and Moe to be this year. Pierce’s production is going to shoot up. The guys very good at blocking, route running, catching and getting things done. Just needs to work on the dumb penalties

AET was a non-factor for 4 years at MD minus one game that he torched...well us. He exploded in this system as Dungey's #1
FF to last year, people said no way ISH can match AET's production, well he surpasssed it.
That brings me to this year...we'll be fine. Despite that fact that I gave somebody crap for a comment they made about our WRs, my problem was more in the logic of their statement than my actual belief in our players. I'm not worried about WR.
Ish had a nice Senior season , but the important thing missing was AET had 14 Touchdown receptions which wasn't replaced.

Since CL blew out his knee his JR year, I think these times might be from his soph track stats.

Did he enroll early? If not, maybe he'll run track in the spring and we'll see if he has improved his times.
Cooper’s times are from last spring

Moe is going to stay at RB imo.

Nykiem Johnson I think pushes to start in the slot and Lutz (10.77) pushes Riley for time in the two deep. I'd watch Sharod Johnson (10.98) here to. I know he backed up Ish but he was recruited to play in the slot.

HCDB quote on Sharod (paraphrasing) was we want to get bigger in the slot but if we can't get bigger we need guys who are blurs and Sharod is a blur.

Looks like Johnson and Johnson could patch up our hole in the slot.

upload_2018-2-13_18-6-24.jpeg

At 6 foot 210-215... could RTB be a monster in the slot for us? I know thats appealing on the outside, but seeing how we used Erv i think i like it more in the slot
Relax there Lenny Dykstra...

Was he 100%?
The bigger takeaway is that was nearly a full year ago and coming off a knee injury that occurred the prior fall. Kid looks heavier now than in his junior year highlights and looks to have gotten stronger from the lifts posted on Twitter. If he posts track times this spring that will be telling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom