2019-20 Preview From JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019-20 Preview From JB

He's a very good ball handler (most of the issues were being young and playing against college level defenders for the 1st time) and was the best passer on last years team outside of Marek. He needs to work on his shot and needs to learn how to lead. Plus, coach said in the article that he's at his best when they run and last years team couldn't play that way effectively.

This is unfortunately a very, very low bar. This team's lack of passing ability really made itself apparent as the season went on. As Buddy earned more playing time, we had a lot more off-ball movement between him, Hughes, and Dolezaj but as guys got open for shots or layups, the passes either never came or came so late that the defense had recovered.

FWIW, we are an 11 seed in the play-in game vs. Georgetown in ESPN's way too early bracketology. I am assuming that includes SYR with OB. They'll come out with another one in the fall after all the offseason player movement. I was pleasantly surprised to at least see us in this. They are predicting another bubble year.
our strength will be at the two thru four spots, same as this season.

cant project better than the bubble until somebody emerges with high level play at pg.

cant hope for top 25, unless we solve pg and also have somebody emerge at center.

of course, if oshae leaves then there will also be more rebounding issues than we already have.

a lot of dominos have to line up for us to be really good.

also, coaching and system issues. jimmy wont change. we all know his strengths and weaknesses, but it is sad to go into a season knowing there will not be the possibility of improvement in those areas.

Hope the team stays together most of this upcoming summer. Last year with Oshae and Tyus heading across the country for individual workouts and Marek heading back overseas, coupled with Frank’s early injury , there couldn’t have been much team building heading into the season. This year hoping the Italian trip will pay off working on team goals and roles, not just individual ones.

Great point. It really is a big deal getting these kids to stay in Syracuse and sacrifice their summer. Most of the kids who have done this in the past have seen major leaps in production from the previous year. It’s real

Well, glad to see you're at least keeping an open mind.
i am not the one who does not have an open mind.

i would luv to eat crow over my post.

I think Jalen Carey is the key to next season. He is so much better than he showed and if he gets it figured out I like the team. Goodine will be good out the gate with buddy playing his shooter role. I think Quincy contributes right away and hopefully OB is back with Eli in the forward rotation.

Low expectations = some of JB's best work.

He tried to set expectations properly for last year's team by clearly saying that the fans SHOULD NOT use the Tourney run as the baseline, but rather should look at the team's entire season.

That advice was almost completely disregarded as many got swept up in the "Top Ten All Year" fever.

All the guy can do is tell the truth as he sees it. He can't make the fans be realistic. It's no fun.

I actually like the pieces next year. I think this can be similar to the 08-09 team. Not as good, but in terms of being the impetus to make us relevant again. May be a year away as far as really taking flight in 20-21, but there's something fun about watching a young team grow up and take some lumps.

I actually like the pieces next year. I think this can be similar to the 08-09 team. Not as good, but in terms of being the impetus to make us relevant again. May be a year away as far as really taking flight in 20-21, but there's something fun about watching a young team grow up and take some lumps.

Agreed. And with no seniors and only a couple juniors, I’m hoping we’re looking at a situation where the core of the team is basically together for 3 years.

Well, he's at least saying the right things re: more ball movement, pushing tempo, more shooting ability, etc. We'll see how it shapes up on the court.
Yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it. When push comes to shove, I expect to see us trying to win rock fights with a disorganized offense. Hoping the D will be good enough.

The Italy trip is huge for a young team. To have the experience of playing in games with each other prior to camp is a massive benefit.

Nice strategic move by JB to schedule it this offseason.

I’m hopeful for some solid results next year - Sidibe’s tendinitis is one thing that keeps me from being bullish. The first 10 games of his career I felt like we had a damn good player who would just get better and better. He was a demon on the offensive glass - he had some impressive low post moves. But, of course, we can’t have nice things.

The NCAA allows schools to do this every 7 years. they'd do it every year if they could for those reasons.

Memorize this and eat it:

"The stagnant offenses of the past few years will be gone. Ball movement slowed as a result of no playmakers and the lack of offensive threats. Limited outside shooting meant defenses could pack it in to cut off drives...'We didn’t move the ball a lot,’’ Boeheim said of his recent Orange squads. “We had to drive a lot. In some games, like Duke, we were OK, but we didn’t move the ball and we had no post presence...“Next year, we should be able to move the ball better and not dribble-drive as much,’’ he continued. “We have guys who can shoot it and pass it.’’

1554874834660.png

The NCAA allows schools to do this every 7 years. they'd do it every year if they could for those reasons.
Every six years. Last time was summer 2013. This is summer 2019.

Any more guesses?
We’ve established the over/under at 5.5 years.

We’ve decided to play our 2025-26 season in the European Intercontinental College Athletic Association instead of the NCAA.

He tried to set expectations properly for last year's team by clearly saying that the fans SHOULD NOT use the Tourney run as the baseline, but rather should look at the team's entire season.

That advice was almost completely disregarded as many got swept up in the "Top Ten All Year" fever.

All the guy can do is tell the truth as he sees it. He can't make the fans be realistic. It's no fun.

Well, in fairness to the overzealous fans' expectations, JB only said that after the loss to UB in his post game presser, and that was coming off another disappointing loss in the Dome just 3 days earlier to ODU. Prior to JB's "reevaluation" of expectations, he played a role himself in planting the seed prior to commencement of the season by saying how good this team was/should be with all the pieces coming back along with the additions, Hughes and Carey.

Last edited:
Memorize this and eat it:

"The stagnant offenses of the past few years will be gone. Ball movement slowed as a result of no playmakers and the lack of offensive threats. Limited outside shooting meant defenses could pack it in to cut off drives...'We didn’t move the ball a lot,’’ Boeheim said of his recent Orange squads. “We had to drive a lot. In some games, like Duke, we were OK, but we didn’t move the ball and we had no post presence...“Next year, we should be able to move the ball better and not dribble-drive as much,’’ he continued. “We have guys who can shoot it and pass it.’’

View attachment 159242
Sounds nice but it reads as if JB thinks an offense can’t be multifaceted. If we don’t have ball movement we have to drive... don’t see the relationship. How about coaching these kids to move without the ball?

Sounds nice but it reads as if JB thinks an offense can’t be multifaceted. If we don’t have ball movement we have to drive... don’t see the relationship. How about coaching these kids to move without the ball?

If you don’t have good offensive players, there’s only so much you can do...other than recruit better ones.

Boeheim didn’t coach Carmelo Anthony into becoming one of the best offensive players in the world. He recruited him. And put him/the team in positions to succeed.

We had two good 3 point shooters and one good passer on the entire team last year. With zero post scorers. That’s going to limit what you can do offensively, regardless of scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom