2019-2020 Premier League | Syracusefan.com

2019-2020 Premier League

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Two weeks are nearly in the books, with Monday's Man United v. Wolves game the last remaining fixture of match day 2.

So far, Liverpool are on top with Man City getting screwed by VAR after they had seemingly won in the dying moments against Spurs. Liverpool's attacking players don't look quite as sharp this year as last year in the early going. City look absolutely rampant on offense, but still have some questions at the back.

Chelsea are a shambles right now. Without Antonio Rudiger, the defense is suspect, and really, Caesar Azpilicueta has hit his expiration date, much like Branislav Ivanovic did a few years ago. Chelsea need a right back and a number 9 in the worst way.

United's game against Wolves tonight is huge for their top 6 ambitions. Wolves are a good team with a very good coach. United's 3 new guys in defense have helped so far, but it was only an in-crisis Chelsea that they beat.

Arsenal have looked pretty good so far. David Luiz will be an improvement to their back line. Their attack is outstanding, and they haven't even played their new signing yet.

Who are your surprises so far?

Two weeks are nearly in the books, with Monday's Man United v. Wolves game the last remaining fixture of match day 2.

So far, Liverpool are on top with Man City getting screwed by VAR after they had seemingly won in the dying moments against Spurs. Liverpool's attacking players don't look quite as sharp this year as last year in the early going. City look absolutely rampant on offense, but still have some questions at the back.

Chelsea are a shambles right now. Without Antonio Rudiger, the defense is suspect, and really, Caesar Azpilicueta has hit his expiration date, much like Branislav Ivanovic did a few years ago. Chelsea need a right back and a number 9 in the worst way.

United's game against Wolves tonight is huge for their top 6 ambitions. Wolves are a good team with a very good coach. United's 3 new guys in defense have helped so far, but it was only an in-crisis Chelsea that they beat.

Arsenal have looked pretty good so far. David Luiz will be an improvement to their back line. Their attack is outstanding, and they haven't even played their new signing yet.

Who are your surprises so far?
My new team to support... Sheffield United

My new team to support... Sheffield United

They were fun and they played with verve. They kind of reminded me of Eddie Howe's Bournemouth team when they first came up.

I was honestly worried about Arsenal as I think they made some solid signings... Liverpool handled them with ease without hitting top gear. It’s crazy how top heavy the league has become. It’s not like Liverpool have bought the best team money could buy... Arsenal probably has out spent them. It shows what having the best manager in the world buying players for his system can do.

Good: LFC, Sheffield, Wolves (very tricky playing Europa League for thinner squads).
Bad: Arsenal, Spurs
Ugly: Man Utd, Everton

Happy to see our boy Christian Pulisic forcing his way into the Chelsea first-choice XI

Good: LFC, Sheffield, Wolves (very tricky playing Europa League for thinner squads).
Bad: Arsenal, Spurs
Ugly: Man Utd, Everton

Happy to see our boy Christian Pulisic forcing his way into the Chelsea first-choice XI
This year I decided to start following the Premier League with my six-year-old. After careful research, we picked Everton as our squad. Oy.

This year I decided to start following the Premier League with my six-year-old. After careful research, we picked Everton as our squad. Oy.

Oh No!!!!! I bet you wanted a team that is usually not bad but also not a frontrunner. everton fits those.

Well, at least you picked the right club for the Merseyside derby.

Go Toffees.

They’ve come a long way since these posts, haven’t they? An even more impressive turnaround than SU basketball.

Ancelotti is a fine coach. He was Chelsea's gaffer when I first became a Premier League fan, back in 2009-2010. He doesn't train guys super-hard, but his teams play a fluid attractive attacking style.

Feel bad for their plastic fans... how will they ever cope without the CL football they just discovered a few years ago?

I think they are going to try and scorch UEFA on the way out. Basically will they say are corrupt and protect a few clubs doing similar thing.

Premier League is about to relaunch. It's also the beginning of the summer transfer window.

Chelsea so far have signed an Algerian right winger from Ajax named Hakim Zayech. He's very reminiscent of Riyah Mahrez, who helped led Leicester to that unlikely title a few years ago, and who now plays for Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. Zayech helped Ajax reach the Champions League Semifinals last year, and is a real talent. Only 23 years old. Shifty, dribbles well, likes to cut in on his left foot to shoot.

Chelsea have also just about landed Timo Werner from RB Salzburg of the Bundesliga. He has 25 goals so far this year, and has hit 92 for Salzburg already in his young career. This guy is like Jamie Vardy, also of Leicester City. He has lightning speed chasing long balls into space or as part of a counter attack. He is also a clinical finisher in the box, very composed, good feet, doesn't rush himself.

Werner can come in from the left side as a winger, or he can play through the middle. He could play off the much taller Tammy Abraham. The other option on the left wing is Callum Hudson-Odoi. On the right backing up Zayech is Christian Pulisic. Pulisic could win the job, or he could wind up sliding into the middle and play the number 10 playmaker role, which I think he would be great at.

Then there's Mason Mount, who can play on either wing, or as a number 10, or a deep lying guy who can carry the ball forward, maybe to replace Jorginho, who seems headed to Juventus. There's also that young kid Billy Gilmour for the deep lying midfield playmaker role.

Chelsea is super deep in midfield, even if they let Jorginho go. Ruben Loftus-Cheek is back and just scored a goal in a squad friendly, his first action in 13 months after an achilles rupture. Also still a young guy. Then there's Mateo Kovacic, who plays with great industry, and N'Golo Kante, only one of the best holding midfielders in the world, who was hurt much of last year, and played out of position for a couple years before that by various Italian coaches we've had.

The back four (or five) needs a left back. Ben Chilwell of Leicester may prove too expensive, but there are a couple viable options out there. I think Chelsea's center backs are just fine. I think the other big problem with their defense is Kepa, the goalkeeper. He does not inspire confidence. I understand we have a shot at the Ajax goalie. I hope we can pull that one off, or Donnarumma from Italy.

Any thoughts on the restart or the coming transfer window?

Last edited:
Premier League is about to relaunch. It's also the beginning of the summer transfer window.

Chelsea so far have signed an Algerian right winger from Ajax named Hakim Zayech. He's very reminiscent of Riyah Mahrez, who helped led Leicester to that unlikely title a few years ago, and who now plays for Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. Zayech helped Ajax reach the Champions League Semifinals last year, and is a real talent. Only 23 years old. Shifty, dribbles well, likes to cut in on his left foot to shoot.

Chelsea have also just about landed Timo Werner from RB Salzburg of the Bundesliga. He has 25 goals so far this year, and has hit 92 for Salzburg already in his young career. This guy is like Jamie Vardy, also of Leicester City. He has lightning speed chasing long balls into space or as part of a counter attack. He is also a clinical finisher in the box, very composed, good feet, doesn't rush himself.

Werner can come in from the left side as a winger, or he can play through the middle. He could play off the much taller Tammy Abraham. The other option on the left wing is Callum Hudson-Odoi. On the right backing up Zayech is Christian Pulisic. Pulisic could win the job, or he could wind up sliding into the middle and play the number 10 playmaker role, which I think he would be great at.

Then there's Mason Mount, who can play on either wing, or as a number 10, or a deep lying guy who can carry the ball forward, maybe to replace Jorginho, who seeks headed to Juventus. There's also that young kid Billy Gilmour for the deep lying midfield playmaker role.

Chelsea is super deep in midfield, even if they let Jorginho go. Ruben Loftus-Cheek is back and just scored a goal in a squad friendly, his first action in 13 months after an achilles rupture. Also still a young guy. Then there's Mateo Kovacic, who plays with great industry, and N'Golo Kante, only one of the best holding midfielders in the world, who was hurt much of last year, and played out of position for a couple years before that by various Italian coaches we've had.

The back four (or five) needs a left back. Ben Chilwell of Leicester may prove too expensive, but there are a couple viable options out there. I think Chelsea's center backs are just fine. I think the other big problem with their defense is Kepa, the goalkeeper. He does not inspire confidence. I understand we have a shot at the Ajax goalie. I hope we can pull that one off, or Donnarumma from Italy.

Stopped reading at “Chelsea.”

Kidding; excellent write up on The Blues, Matt.

Manchester United were the biggest losers of the stoppage IMO. They were on fire. Retaining Ighalo is big but only if he remains on form.

Rashford, McTominay, Pogba... if heathy that is a wealth of riches as far as squad depth is concerned.

Bruno Fernandes has been a revelation. January signings can often take time to acclimate to the first team. He came in firing. Runs through the midfield with purpose, creativity with ball distribution... and maybe most importantly, just plain consistency. His signing went beyond my expectations. So dangerous with the ball at his feet. Can he keep it up?

So happy EPL is coming back. I’ve missed it the last 3 months.

Yes, United was gaining ground on us at an alarming rate before the break.
There's a lot of young talent on United, and I like Bruno Fernandes acquisition, too. I don't think Pogba ever has big role on this team again.
Ole can be inspirational, but they have run run very hot and very cold under him. Do you think that tactically he is going to be the answer for them, long term?

I hated to see them ship out Lukaku, but it's addition by subtraction. It will be the same with Pogba. He's like Mario Balatelli - terrific physical talent, but way too concerned with stuff off the pitch - social media, social justice, etc. Just play, man.

Then there's Mason Mount, who can play on either wing, or as a number 10, or a deep lying guy who can carry the ball forward, maybe to replace Jorginho, who seems headed to Juventus. There's also that young kid Billy Gilmour for the deep lying midfield playmaker role.

Great post... I think Chelsea is in a great position for the next few years with all off their young talent in place already.

The two EPL monsters are Liverpool and Man City and I think both are going to get old pretty quickly next season. Liverpool won't spend big to replenish this offseason because their owners aren't going to let the club operate at a loss and given the revenue hit that coronavirus is bringing that will be a problem. This will mean that Liverpool will have gone two consecutive years without any major upgrades to the team. I was really hoping that Liverpool got Werner. It's too bad, I think Liverpool are on the doorstep of a 5/6 year run of dominance but I'm not sure they will be able to replenish themselves and there is a pretty big gap between their front line stars and their bench.

I think Man City will have trouble replenishing their team between the potential Champs League ban and the coronavirus impact on the market. I also think Pep won't be coach 12 months from today which will also make it hard for him to recruit.

Tottenham has gotten worse and worse and will likely lose Kane this offseason. I think they will have trouble reloading because no one is going to want to play for Mourinho. Tottenham are a preview of what Liverpool will be in a few seasons if they can't reload the squad.

ManU is probably next best positioned after Chelsea... they have young talent but no game changers yet. Yeah, yeah Rashford this and Rashford that... to me he needs to prove that he can lead the line and not just be a complementary piece. More importantly ManU will have the ability to splash the cash that Liverpool and Tottenham don't. My main question is who will manage ManUre next year? Do they give Ole one more shot or is it going to one the Poch show?

My prediction for the next few years is we go back to Chelsea/Manure at the top of the table. Big wildcard will be what happens to City if/when pep leaves.

Great post... I think Chelsea is in a great position for the next few years with all off their young talent in place already.

The two EPL monsters are Liverpool and Man City and I think both are going to get old pretty quickly next season. Liverpool won't spend big to replenish this offseason because their owners aren't going to let the club operate at a loss and given the revenue hit that coronavirus is bringing that will be a problem. This will mean that Liverpool will have gone two consecutive years without any major upgrades to the team. I was really hoping that Liverpool got Werner. It's too bad, I think Liverpool are on the doorstep of a 5/6 year run of dominance but I'm not sure they will be able to replenish themselves and there is a pretty big gap between their front line stars and their bench.

I think Man City will have trouble replenishing their team between the potential Champs League ban and the coronavirus impact on the market. I also think Pep won't be coach 12 months from today which will also make it hard for him to recruit.

Tottenham has gotten worse and worse and will likely lose Kane this offseason. I think they will have trouble reloading because no one is going to want to play for Mourinho. Tottenham are a preview of what Liverpool will be in a few seasons if they can't reload the squad.

ManU is probably next best positioned after Chelsea... they have young talent but no game changers yet. Yeah, yeah Rashford this and Rashford that... to me he needs to prove that he can lead the line and not just be a complementary piece. More importantly ManU will have the ability to splash the cash that Liverpool and Tottenham don't. My main question is who will manage ManUre next year? Do they give Ole one more shot or is it going to one the Poch show?

My prediction for the next few years is we go back to Chelsea/Manure at the top of the table. Big wildcard will be what happens to City if/when pep leaves.

Great analysis, Foo, and not just 'cuz you're bullish on the Blues.

I think Liverpool has a brewing problem keeping Salah and/or Mane. There might still be some bad blood there, about accusing each other of selfish play. That's why getting Werner seemed obvious to me. I'm glad their ownership was too concerned about economics to pull the trigger.

Chelsea hasn't spent a bunch of money from the sale of Hazard and Morata, and the ban for 2 windows. So they have dry powder that others are hesitant to spend.

I agree about City. They are going to change in a hurry because of the ban and Pep probably leaving. I think Pep will take a year off before he gets his next gig - maybe Juve. I think their ban gets reduced to "only" 1 year. That will cost them some players. The key is will De Bruyne stay? He is the key to their future, probably their best player. They have quality throughout the roster, but they are going to lose Aguero, David Silva and probably a couple other guys. There is young quality, but championship quality with a new coach? We'll see.

I like United for the future. I'm disappointed that their rebuilds have been so haphazard. There have been a number of talented guys, but they just haven't fit together. I think their string of coaches have all been guys who are old school and coach an obsolete style, speaking only to the elite levels of the game. Van Gaal, even Mourinho, are too old school, too defensive minded, not focused on how to really create chances in the opponents end, other than individual brilliance.

He just 'rolls out the ball' on offense. That's why Spurs are going to be in trouble. I loved Mourinho when I first became a real fan, back in 2009-10. His last great team was the Real Madrid team that dethroned Barca and tallied over 100 points. Set a goals record, too, I think. But then it all burned out.

I think Pochettino would be very good at United. Would he recruit Harry?

I think the future, for the next 2-3 years, is Liverpool still setting the standard, but Chelsea and United definitely putting together exciting, talented young teams built for the next 5 to 8 years.

Do you think that tactically he is going to be the answer for them, long term?

I don’t have an answer for that. I think the key to your question is “long term.”

He is a brilliant football mind, in my opinion. Brings the Sir Alex culture into the ranks as well. I just don’t know if he will be given the time to prove it at this level. It isn’t Molde.

The fans need to be patient. I will be... but I also don’t live in the red side of Manchester.

Hate watching Chelsea while they fight Manchester United for a Champion’s League place... but Pulisic has been a menace for the opposition. And where has this version of Willian been?

Their possession tactics have been incredible, switching fields with precision. Hate to say it but they have been playing beautiful football recently.

tenor.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom