2019 class | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019 class

Quincy Guerier from Canada. We gotta sign that kid this spring or summer. He’s a real talent and we’ll need forwards in the 2019 class.

Yep I hope this kid is one of our top priorities! Along with stewart of course...just don't think stewart is coming here but we need to try like hell to make it happen!

Marek isn't sitting on the bench. He starts.

and how are you so sure? your saying the subs are a sg, sf and center. no way, marek plays more minutes, but he is 6th man

and how are you so sure? your saying the subs are a sg, sf and center. no way, marek plays more minutes, but he is 6th man

It's sort of splitting hairs to talk about starters versus what the actual rotation is. I don't know who starts, necessarily, but JB loves guys he trusts and he trusted Marek about as much as any frosh this side of GMac and Melo. I suppose he could come off the bench but I guarantee marek logs a ton of minutes -- absolutely starter minutes --- next season.

The other point to make is that I wouldn't be shocked if there is another addition to the roster between now and Nov. It'll be interesting.

I'm just concerned with recruiting in general and have been.

Our margin for error is very small when getting these guys and we've had some misses.

Out of the top 100, how many are them are in the region we recruit, how many of those in the region are long and lanaky, how many long and lanky are in our region that don't mind playing zone?

We're defeating ourselves by limiting the top 100 right off the bat and I think that's been the problem.

Recruits don't need to be in the top 100. I actually feel we could make an argument for making sure we're getting a player or two outside that range each year (depending on how many kids we take). Need to be able to develop talent no matter where it comes from.

I'd say 2 guards and 4 bigs

A pure 1

We have our 2

A tweener 3-4

Pure 4

Tweener 4-5

Pure 5

I'm going to throw this out there: Let's get a transfer this year or next. We've seen a bunch of teams have good success with this route -- KU makes the final four with a huge contribution from Malik Newman and it's a little odd but Cam Johnson was a nice pickup for Carolina. Would like to see us at least consider this just to avoid trying to bring in a five- or six-player freshman class.

Recruits don't need to be in the top 100. I actually feel we could make an argument for making sure we're getting a player or two outside that range each year (depending on how many kids we take). Need to be able to develop talent no matter where it comes from.

You may hit some homeruns outside the top 100 but it isn't a recipe for success. Our best teams (and pretty much every great team) were built by these players. I don't know how we'd sustain success by not bringing in top 100 guys.

You may hit some homeruns outside the top 100 but it isn't a recipe for success. Our best teams (and pretty much every great team) were built by these players. I don't know how we'd sustain success by not bringing in top 100 guys.

Don’t disagree ... but we have to find a way to keep top 100 kids. The best teams in the country — outside of duke and UK when they’re humming — have talented veteran players. Saw it with Xavier, Carolinac nova, Kansas etc. I’m all for higher end guys but e cannot continue to have the turnover we’re currently dealing with. Simply doesn’t work.

Don’t disagree ... but we have to find a way to keep top 100 kids. The best teams in the country — outside of duke and UK when they’re humming — have talented veteran players. Saw it with Xavier, Carolina, nova, Kansas etc. I’m all for higher end guys but e cannot continue to have the turnover we’re currently dealing with. Simply doesn’t work.
Especially need those junior and senior guards. I'm not the biggest fan of Frank's skill set, but I think he could have a really great senior season. He just needs to make better use of his experience (e.g., Chukwu isn't talented enough for you to throw him 90mph passes). If we're getting one-and-done talent, I'd prefer it to be the plug and play SF variety.

Especially need those junior and senior guards. I'm not the biggest fan of Frank's skill set, but I think he could have a really great senior season. He just needs to make better use of his experience (e.g., Chukwu isn't talented enough for you to throw him 90mph passes). If we're getting one-and-done talent, I'd prefer it to be the plug and play SF variety.

Really good point. I suppose it naturally goes that way a bit since there’s a natural scarcity of guys who are 6’8”+ and have a wide variety of skill. But the idea of approaching recruiting a bit differently by position is a good point.

Buddy no on redshirt, he will be in the rotation and he will be on the floor plenty

starting
Carey
Howard
Oshae
Hughes
Chukwu

bench
Marek
Buddy
Sidibe
HWJ
Yes on Buddy but your lineup is wrong

JB's system is heavily reliant on top 50 talent. We might sneak into the tournament with top 100 dudes but we're not going to be nationally relevant without some burger boys on the roster.

JB's system is heavily reliant on top 50 talent. We might sneak into the tournament with top 100 dudes but we're not going to be nationally relevant without some burger boys on the roster.

How did we win 120 games over 4 years with guys like Rautins, Triche, Scoop, Fair and Southerland then?

How did we win 120 games over 4 years with guys like Rautins, Triche, Scoop, Fair and Southerland then?

MCW, Fab, Dion, Wes, etc. Guys like Fair were best in a secondary/complementary role like in his junior year. His senior year Boeheim ran the offense through him, ISO’d him galore, and it wasn’t very pretty as 25-0 plummetted into a really bad offense by season’s end.

MCW, Fab, Dion, Wes, etc. Guys like Fair were best in a secondary/complementary role like in his junior year. His senior year Boeheim ran the offense through him, ISO’d him galore, and it wasn’t very pretty as 25-0 plummetted into a really bad offense by season’s end.

Wes wasn’t highly ranked going to Iowa State. Fair and Triche were the leading scorers on the 2013 FF team. Fab certainly didn’t look like a 5 star his freshman year on a team that won 28 games.

I should’ve added Kris joseph to the list as well. He lead us in scoring in 2012 and Triche was third just behind Dion.

Wes wasn’t highly ranked going to Iowa State. Fair and Triche were the leading scorers on the 2013 FF team. Fab certainly didn’t look like a 5 star his freshman year on a team that won 28 games.

I should’ve added Kris joseph to the list as well. He lead us in scoring in 2012 and Triche was third just behind Dion.

I thought about adding KJoseph too. No doubt re: Wes. But, still he was at SU and blossomed. It happens. Yeah that F4 team still had a lot balance. It wasn’t all fair ISO stuff. Still, that team was ok offensively. Defense was better. As a whole those players were solid but I guess not enough shot makers and 3pt shooters with MCW and how Triche’s numbers dropped as well? Good players all around.

The same way we have sustained success (not bringing in any top ESPN 300) on the gridiron the past two decades...oh, never mind. ;):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom