2019 commits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019 commits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take that bet. I don't think there is enough playing time with Howard, Battle and OB back for any of those three guys to make enough of an impression that they would be in a position to go pro.

As would I. Can't get drafted not playing much. See Dion's freshman year.

I hope you're right but my feeling is (just gut feeling, no inside info) that it is more likely we lose Hughes, Carey and Marek than it is we return all 3. I'd bet a lot of money we lose at least one...

We could lose one but we won't lose all 3, unless all hell breaks loose or we win a national title.

Breathe in, breathe out... have a beer...

SI7oae.gif

I’m just annoyed. Lost in on Bryant, Stewart, Girard, we seem to be getting away from recruiting NY kids or strike out. We are either getting in too late or our pitch is wrong. Now we are settling on a 3 Star center visiting soon and Wahab seems to be moving on from us. Lost Swider which I felt at the time was a big deal, but to nova who has benefited the most from us leaving the big east. We need a big year this year.

There’s only so many roster spots. We recruit more than just upstate NY...thankfully.

We always get players. Team is loaded. Guys aren’t always going to come here to be 11th man for 2 years.

I’m just annoyed. Lost in on Bryant, Stewart, Girard, we seem to be getting away from recruiting NY kids or strike out. We are either getting in too late or our pitch is wrong. Now we are settling on a 3 Star center visiting soon and Wahab seems to be moving on from us. Lost Swider which I felt at the time was a big deal, but to nova who has benefited the most from us leaving the big east. We need a big year this year.

wait, are we out on those 3? i havent heard that.

Your perspective is poor. If you are going to follow recruiting as closely as we do today, you have to realize that the recruiting game involves many more guys that end up at other places than end up at SU. All sorts of reason for it, including a leveling of the recruiting playing field over the years.

We've always lost out on NY kids, you just don't really recall the losses or in retrospect as time passes you may not consider them "losses" but we've never gotten all of the top guys from NY, or even from upstate NY. e.g. Sam Perkins, King Rice, Elton Brand, Ryan Blackwell (first time), Greg Paulus, Andray Blatche, Randy Jones, Steve Wright, Adonal Foyle, Bernard Blunt, Christian Laettner, Curtis Aiken, Tom Sheehey, Willie Deane, Jimmer Fredette, Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury, Sebastian Telfair...just to name a few over the years.

Julius Hodge
Also - did we lose out on Willie Deane? I'd never heard of him until BA a few years ago.

Your perspective is poor. If you are going to follow recruiting as closely as we do today, you have to realize that the recruiting game involves many more guys that end up at other places than end up at SU. All sorts of reason for it, including a leveling of the recruiting playing field over the years.

We've always lost out on NY kids, you just don't really recall the losses or in retrospect as time passes you may not consider them "losses" but we've never gotten all of the top guys from NY, or even from upstate NY. e.g. Sam Perkins, King Rice, Elton Brand, Ryan Blackwell (first time), Greg Paulus, Andray Blatche, Randy Jones, Steve Wright, Adonal Foyle, Bernard Blunt, Christian Laettner, Curtis Aiken, Tom Sheehey, Willie Deane, Jimmer Fredette, Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury, Sebastian Telfair...just to name a few over the years.

Indeed, a long history of losing out on top Upstaters and a gamut of NY kids. One of the best off that list was the Monster Mash himself, Jamaal Mashburn. Cliff Robinson (Buffalo) was an excellent player for Uconn as well.

What bites me the most I guess in reflection, is that as successful as the SU program has been for decades, NY kids, especially top Upstaters are typically going elsewhere. Living down here in the Carolina's for two and a half decades, typically a top Carolina area kid is going to UNC or Duke. Same for UK, KU, etc. I wish SU had that same presence and foothold in their own backyard.

why is that

These threads...

We have two top 100 college baskeball players, one being top 3. Will likely spend much of the season in the top 10 and contend for another ‘ship. We’ve landed a top 100 2019 and are arguably favorites for 2 more (akok and guerrier).

Panic, loud noises, terror.

Indeed, a long history of losing out on Upstaters and a gamut of NY kids. One of the best off that list was the Monster Mash himself, Jamaal Mashburn. Cliff Robinson (Buffalo) was an excellent player for Uconn as well.

What bites me the most I guess in reflection, is that as successful as the SU program has been for decades, NY kids, especially top Upstaters are typically going elsewhere. Living down here in the Carolina's for two and a half decades, typically a top Carolina area kid is going to UNC or Duke. Same for UK, KU, etc. I wish SU had that same presence and foothold in their own backyard.

I dunno about anybody else, but - maybe sometimes kids just want to go "away" for college?
I certainly did, even if my "away" was only about 4 hours or so from home.

And as lovely as CNY can be, I know I personally was glad to move away from the land of 'Lake Effect' once my 4 years of college and 1st year of work in Syracuse were completed.

But mostly - you can't get them all.
Like pretty much everything else in life, it's a numbers game.
There are always going to be a LOT more guys we don't get, than we do.

The issue is this. When was the last time you saw the best player in NC or SC leave the state? We need to dominating NY/NJ/Philly recruiting but we are not. We are not New York’s College Team?

The issue is this. When was the last time you saw the best player in NC or SC leave the state? We need to dominating NY/NJ/Philly recruiting but we are not. We are not New York’s College Team?

well this is a confusing post. the very best player in each state each year? or best players in both states each year? or the top 5 players in both states? and is leaving SC to go to NC leaving the state? Because Zion just did it. there are also 6 top flight bball schools to pick from between the 2 states. there is 1 in NY.

Syracuse related Robert Braswell and Mike Jones come to mind if you are talking top players.

Last edited:
I dunno about anybody else, but - maybe sometimes kids just want to go "away" for college?
I certainly did, even if my "away" was only about 4 hours or so from home.

And as lovely as CNY can be, I know I personally was glad to move away from the land of 'Lake Effect' once my 4 years of college and 1st year of work in Syracuse were completed.

But mostly - you can't get them all.
Like pretty much everything else in life, it's a numbers game.
There are always going to be a LOT more guys we don't get, than we do.

I hear what you are saying, but with all due respect, you may not have been an "area" kid with athletic talents
to go to a school in your backyard that was a big time program, etc. Meaning, as a youngster, with so much attention, success, exposure, etc. on SU hoops, you'd think it would fall in lines of their dream type school.

Having significant ties to Ohio as well, it's like a kid anywhere around that entire state, if you're a football player, OSU is your dream school for the most part.

No doubt, even still, some kids just "want to get away." However, it seems in SU's case, it's more than some top Upstaters, but rather many.

2 kids from Houston and 1 from Dallas all went to UK in the same year

Neither Houston nor Dallas are cities that scream I'm staying in the state for my sustained powerhouse college hoops program. Now, if you're talking pigskin, well, that's a horse of a different color.

well this is a confusing post. the very best player in each state each year? or best players in both states each year? or the top 5 players in both states? and is leaving SC to go to NC leaving the state? Because Zion just did it. there are also 6 top flight bball schools to pick from between the 2 states. there is 1 in NY.

Syracuse related Robert Braswell and Mike Jones come to mind if you are talking top players.

How that confusing .. ? When was the last time we got the best player in NY or NJ?
What I am saying is this. Any team can come up here and grab the top player in NY/NJ. That should not happen

How that confusing .. ? When was the last time we got the best player in NY or NJ?
What I am saying is this. Any team can come up here and grab the top player in NY/NJ. That should not happen

you could make the argument that Jalen Carey is 2 or 3 in NY this year. He went to high school in NJ though
Chris Mccullough would have certainly been #1 or #2 his year - he transferred to FLA HS though.

any further questions?

you could make the argument that Jalen Carey is 2 or 3 in NY this year. He went to high school in NJ though
Chris Mccullough would have certainly been #1 or #2 his year - he transferred to FLA HS though.

any further questions?

Tyler Ennis was NJ Gatorade POY.
Roberson & Mali & Battle were all like Top 3 in NJ in their respective years.

Some may not want to play all zone. It’s a factor like it or not.

We should be trying to always attract the best talent. The best players play. That’s how it is with any of the big boys. Talent-laden rosters which puts you in a great position heading into the tournament. Occasionally some players won’t pan out like a Chase Jeter, Tucker, or even VJ King on UL but bring in lots of talent and let it play out.

Indeed, a long history of losing out on top Upstaters and a gamut of NY kids. One of the best off that list was the Monster Mash himself, Jamaal Mashburn. Cliff Robinson (Buffalo) was an excellent player for Uconn as well.

DaJuan Coleman, Paul Harris, Johnny Flynn were all McDonalds AA’s or should’ve been(Harris), and were arguably the top player in NYS. Flynn/Harris were battling each other for that.

Josh Wright was the top upstate PG. Triche was a high priority recruit for us. I feel like we get plenty of upstate kids when we really want them.

These threads...

We have two top 100 college baskeball players, one being top 3. Will likely spend much of the season in the top 10 and contend for another ‘ship. We’ve landed a top 100 2019 and are arguably favorites for 2 more (akok and guerrier).

Panic, loud noises, terror.

Joe Girard MIGHT go somewhere else where the guard situation isn’t as crowded! Or he might go to Syracuse!

If we get him, he’ll probably be a key player at Cuse as an upperclassman! If we don’t get him, we’ll get someone else that’s also good! Who might be from a different state!

Freak out!

any further questions?
what does this have to with the class of 2019?

I feel like if we get one of the three of Jones, Akok or Guerrier this class will be excellent. That is the cutoff line for excellent versus good or worse. This assumes Stewart/Wahab is out of play. A class of Goodine, Girard, Carrigan/Ajak would be solid but less than hoped for.

Status
Not open for further replies.