2019 Fall Ball ... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Fall Ball ...

I was there but my phone died before I could join in on the updates. Short analysis is that we looked fantastic for October. Anyone know anything about the Kim twins? Didn’t see them anywhere

All in all seems like things went well. Less then thrilled we blew a 15-11 lead (shades of the last few years) but loved what updates we got on the O

I was there but my phone died before I could join in on the updates. Short analysis is that we looked fantastic for October. Anyone know anything about the Kim twins? Didn’t see them anywhere

New numbers. They both played per Naz.

Naz thanks for the updates, Jeremy and OX thanks for the name updates.

Sounds like the team came out to play and didn't struggle like the common theme from last years scrimmages.

Per the game thread on the FB lax discussion group, sounds like Varello was the dominate face off guy tonight. Also per that thread, a lot of reserves came in once it hit 15-11 so I don't think I'd read too much into blowing that lead.

Mini game thread on Twitter. Looks like Staats is the big guy in civies & Jack Kennedy is the blonde.

I thought our settled offense looked fantastic. Not sure if it’s the Pat March magic but we had plenty of plays where guys were able to get wide open looks early in the shot clock. It looked like we officially went into the “1-4-1” a few times with a guy dodging from behind cage with some great results. But that may be because Denver went into this weird zone thing whenever we did that that didn’t seem to work at all. Either way the offense was the highlight and made for an entertaining game.

Dordevic without question looked like the best offensive player on the field. Blew by his man on multiple occasions early so they began quick sliding to him which often got the offense moving. Had an absolutely nasty toe drag goal which I didn’t even know was in his arsenal of moves. On top of that just looked pumped to be playing again which was great to see. Other star of the evening was probably cook.

Defense owned the 1 v 1 matchups for the most part. Nobody beat a long pole off the dodge that I saw but a couple short sticks got beat cleanly early on. A couple miscommunications lead to easy goals but that is to be expected with Denver’s offense. DiPietro (if he indeed is 44 now) looked great! Looks like he improved his speed and feet a good deal in the year off. Looked like they tried to go at him a couple times but he wasn’t to be messed with.

Dami overall had a solid game as well, but he did get beat a couple times early. Seemed to be a habit of shorties giving the mids the middle of the field which lead to hasty regrouping and tough shots to stop. We also put guys on the ground a few times which was great to see. Dami is a tank, as is Kennedy, but we knew that already. Had a massive hit and an unbelievable gb play.

Only guy who seemed a little off was Porter. Missed a few low angle ones that he should eat up and had a couple dumb plays on clears.

I’ll leave it there for now but man was this encouraging. The future is bright!

It had been quite awhile since Syracuse lacrosse midfielder Tucker Dordevic had played against an opponent wearing a different jersey.

Five hundred and nine days, to be exact. That’s how long had flipped off the calendar since Cornell beat SU in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, ending the Orange’s season. Dordevic was a freshman then, and he missed all of last year with a broken foot.

So when he returned to the field on Saturday, Dordevic had a lot of ground to make up.

Dordevic buried three goals as the Orange tied Denver 15-15 in a scrimmage at SUNY-Cortland. Griffin Cook scored twice for SU, as did Jamie Trimboli and Brendan Curry. Matt Mangan, Stephen Rehfuss, David Lipka, Chase Scanlan, Owen Seebold and Troy Lauder each scored once.

The teams played their starters for roughly three quarters, after which SU led 12-11. Orange goalie Drake Porter was in net for that full span.

Dordevic was understandably the happiest Orange player on the field. He buried Syracuse’s first goal of the game.

“First of all, it’s just great to have him back. We noticed first day of practice that No. 23 was back, so that was good to see,” said Syracuse coach John Desko. “Tonight, he was just so anxious to play. He was pretty excited to get back out there and knock heads against somebody else.”

Dordevic said he was curious exactly how long it had been since that Cornell game, so he asked Siri for help. The virtual assistant spit out the answer of 509 days.

“We have such a fun group of guys to play with, it makes it even more enjoyable being back out there,” Dordevic said. “It was just awesome being out there. I was definitely a little nervous at first. I had some butterflies. But it was just fun being back out there.”

On defense, senior Nick Mellen is the only returning close defender for SU. Brett Kennedy, Nick DiPietro and Andrew Helmer took turns at that position in the scrimmage as they compete for the other two starting spots.

Mellen has pulled on the prestigious No. 11 this season. That number is traditionally sported by the team’s best defender, a description that certainly fits the All-American. Austin Fusco wore the number last year for SU.

Syracuse is also looking to fill two open positions at starting attack, to go along with veteran Rehfuss. Cook, Seebold and Scanlan got a lot of time rotating with Rehfuss up front. Scanlan is a transfer from Loyola who primarily played midfield at that school.

“I loved the fact that my teammates all work hard for each other,” Scanlan said. “Overall, I thought we had a great start to the season, connecting together, meshing together. We can only get better from here. I’ve got to thank my teammates, my coaches, for just allowing me to play confident.”

There may still be months to wait until the 2020 lacrosse season officially begins, but on Saturday night in Cortland, two lacrosse powers went head-to-head in a fall scrimmage that felt like a late-spring matchup.

A large crowd was on hand to see the battle, which saw Denver and Syracuse play to a 15-15 tie. The Orange held a 15-11 lead late into the fourth quarter when the teams began subbing more freely.

"It was good to get out here against a different opponent, the guys were certainly ready for that," said head coach John Desko. "There are some things I think we did really well, we also had a lot of turnovers and didn't clear the ball well, so we'll get to film and use this to continue to get better."

Griffin Cook led the way with a hat trick, but a balanced offensive attack was the theme for the Orange, which saw 11 players register a point and no player record more than three.

Cook (3-0), Tucker Dordevic (2-1), Brendan Curry (2-1), Chase Scanlan (2-0), Jamie Trimboli (2-0), Owen Seebold (1-1), Lucas Quinn (0-2), David Lipka (1-0), Matt Magnan (1-0), Stephen Rehfuss (0-1) and Troy Lauder (1-0) were responsible for the Orange scoring.

In addition to the balanced attack, 'Cuse performed well at the faceoff X. Jake Phaup, Danny Varello and Nate Garlow split the reps nearly evenly and combined to win 61-percent of their restarts on the day.

Drake Porter also made 10 saves in three quarters of action, while Luke Strang made four stops in cage when coming on in relief for the fourth quarter.

The offense was actually in a 3-1-2 umbrella that morphed when certain guys took the ball to X. Dordevic and Scanlan went to X whenever they had a shortie on them. The shortie always stayed above GLE.

Generally speaking, the offense had success because no one held onto the ball for too long. They swung the ball back side exceptionally well for step downs. They made the goalie move a lot.

As for the faceoffs, it was even at first but Cuse started controlling more and more as the game went on. The wings were animals.

I definitely wouldn’t worry about the blown lead. All reserves were in at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom