2019 High School Lacrosse

ForCuseSake

All American
That is either a school-specific or state-specific rule. I’m the head coach of a H.S. team outside of NY and I’m not a teacher.

I went to high school in New York and my head coach was required to be a teacher, but that was a school district policy. Not sure if it was a NYSPHSAA rule or state law.
I think this might be school district specific.

The town I live in (greater Rochester area) recently changed varsity coaches.

The departed coach wasn't a teacher anywhere and the new coach teaches in a different district.

NazLax30

Scout Team
Pretty sure Irondequoit’s coach is not a teacher. Financial planner or something like that

Mareiniss

Walk On
HS have to make hires based on teachers in the district. There are exceptions to this however, fairly restrictive. For the schools that do not value Lax, they basically just roll out a "teacher" that has experience coaching or was a former player. Absolutely none of that qualifies them to be a "good"coach. CNS is a perfect example. Some good talent but utterly inept "coaching" on all levels this season. Good news is the tide is about to turn...:cool:
Zepharus is right. According to NYS Educ. Department regulations, a school district is required to hire a PE teacher (or other certified teacher with coaching qualifications and experience) as its lax (or other sport’s) coach, if one is available. Only when such a teacher is not available can the school hire a non-teacher to coach, and then only if he/she takes first aid and other required courses, and is then able to obtain a temporary coaching license from the State. NYS doesn’t care if the teacher knows anything about lacrosse.

lummgr

All Conference
I might not be following along well, but I know of coaches who are teachers in a school district, and coach lacrosse in another.

Mareiniss

Walk On
... I know of coaches who are teachers in a school district, and coach lacrosse in another.
That’s OK under the NYS regulation. A NY-certified teacher from any school (or even an unemployed one) gets preference over a non-teacher.

Cheriehoop

Staff member
That’s OK under the NYS regulation. A NY-certified teacher from any school (or even an unemployed one) gets preference over a non-teacher.
The biggest draw for teachers wanting to coach is not really the salary but that the coaching salary is also counted towards their pensions when they retire. It’s quite a bit of work to be a coach for the money but increasing one’s pension is a big plus.

Shrmdougluvr

I pity the poor fool who don't eat my cereal
In Section II, Niskayuna is having another good year. They have a freshman, Brock Behrmann, starting on a fairly stacked attack, and is putting up big numbers. Dad is head football coach at Union and was previously a coordinator at Stony Brook.

Liam Ferris putting up big numbers at Bethlehem including in a recent game against Stepinac.

Also Academy is building a solid program.

CHSLAX

Walk On
In Section II, Niskayuna is having another good year. They have a freshman, Brock Behrmann, starting on a fairly stacked attack, and is putting up big numbers. Dad is head football coach at Union and was previously a coordinator at Stony Brook.

Liam Ferris putting up big numbers at Bethlehem including in a recent game against Stepinac.

Also Academy is building a solid program.
Nisky also has at least 3 kids going to Lemoyne. Two defensemen and a midfielder.

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Nisky has another freshman to keep an eye on - Paddleford

Schuylerville has a big lefty middie who's headed to play at Drexel. He can play.

There are some really good individual players in Section 2 but not a lot of great teams outside of Nisky who this year looks legit.

Collectively Section 2 just doesn't have the top to bottom depth on their HS teams.

4evaOrange

Anna Kendricks boyfriend.
Really surprised at the year that ESM is having. But I guess the loss of big bro was real bigger loss than what we thought.
And little bro is having a good year at 55 and 32 wonder that we’re gonna get for playoffs.

Top Bottom