2019 High School Lacrosse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2019 High School Lacrosse

HS have to make hires based on teachers in the district. There are exceptions to this however, fairly restrictive. For the schools that do not value Lax, they basically just roll out a "teacher" that has experience coaching or was a former player. Absolutely none of that qualifies them to be a "good"coach. CNS is a perfect example. Some good talent but utterly inept "coaching" on all levels this season. Good news is the tide is about to turn...:cool:
Zepharus is right. According to NYS Educ. Department regulations, a school district is required to hire a PE teacher (or other certified teacher with coaching qualifications and experience) as its lax (or other sport’s) coach, if one is available. Only when such a teacher is not available can the school hire a non-teacher to coach, and then only if he/she takes first aid and other required courses, and is then able to obtain a temporary coaching license from the State. NYS doesn’t care if the teacher knows anything about lacrosse.

I might not be following along well, but I know of coaches who are teachers in a school district, and coach lacrosse in another.

... I know of coaches who are teachers in a school district, and coach lacrosse in another.

That’s OK under the NYS regulation. A NY-certified teacher from any school (or even an unemployed one) gets preference over a non-teacher.

That’s OK under the NYS regulation. A NY-certified teacher from any school (or even an unemployed one) gets preference over a non-teacher.
Bingo. Crap system. Programs and kids suffer

The biggest draw for teachers wanting to coach is not really the salary but that the coaching salary is also counted towards their pensions when they retire. It’s quite a bit of work to be a coach for the money but increasing one’s pension is a big plus.

In Section II, Niskayuna is having another good year. They have a freshman, Brock Behrmann, starting on a fairly stacked attack, and is putting up big numbers. Dad is head football coach at Union and was previously a coordinator at Stony Brook.

Liam Ferris putting up big numbers at Bethlehem including in a recent game against Stepinac.

Also Academy is building a solid program.

In Section II, Niskayuna is having another good year. They have a freshman, Brock Behrmann, starting on a fairly stacked attack, and is putting up big numbers. Dad is head football coach at Union and was previously a coordinator at Stony Brook.

Liam Ferris putting up big numbers at Bethlehem including in a recent game against Stepinac.

Also Academy is building a solid program.

Nisky also has at least 3 kids going to Lemoyne. Two defensemen and a midfielder.

Nisky has another freshman to keep an eye on - Paddleford

Schuylerville has a big lefty middie who's headed to play at Drexel. He can play.

There are some really good individual players in Section 2 but not a lot of great teams outside of Nisky who this year looks legit.

Collectively Section 2 just doesn't have the top to bottom depth on their HS teams.

The Section3 All-Americans were announced and I'm drawing a blank on who was named. Though I do believe Jake Edinger (Tully) was one.

Last edited:
I was at the Orange Crush Showcase out at FM this weekend. 3 offensive players who stood out to me were Keib (JD), Delano (Westhill) and Jackson Palumb. Not sure if they're high major D1 kids. Keib had decent size but not really the others. Though Palumb is just a freshman and the other two are sophomores.

I liked that FM Goalie Van VanValkenburgh

I was at the Orange Crush Showcase out at FM this weekend. 3 offensive players who stood out to me were Keib (JD), Delano (Westhill) and Jackson Palumb. Not sure if they're high major D1 kids. Keib had decent size but not really the others. Though Palumb is just a freshman and the other two are sophomores.

I liked that FM Goalie Van VanValkenburgh

Was told Delano is not a high end D1 kid but could play at a lower levels school if he keeps improving. I believe Keib is a high major kid and SU is taking a look. Palumb I have no idea but can look into it.

Is it a bit of a shock that Durkin wasn't an AA ? The kid led section 3 in scoring and it wasn't even really close.

2019 All-Americans

Parick Hackler, Skaneateles, M

Jake Edinger, Tully, M

Jake Piseno, Liverpool, D

Spencer Wirtheim, Baldwinsville, A

Ryan MacKenzie, CBA, M

Max Rosa, West Genesee, M

Rob Seeley, Marcellus, G

Was told Delano is not a high end D1 kid but could play at a lower levels school if he keeps improving. I believe Keib is a high major kid and SU is taking a look. Palumb I have no idea but can look into it.

Keib appeared to have good size. Really hard and accurate shot on the run to. Scored a few times high from distance was sort of surprising.

Is it a bit of a shock that Durkin wasn't an AA ? The kid led section 3 in scoring and it wasn't even really close.

2019 All-Americans

Parick Hackler, Skaneateles, M

Jake Edinger, Tully, M

Jake Piseno, Liverpool, D

Spencer Wirtheim, Baldwinsville, A

Ryan MacKenzie, CBA, M

Max Rosa, West Genesee, M

Rob Seeley, Marcellus, G
Agree 100%. Him, along with Madonna and a few other juniors would have more than a good argument. Missing on Mackenzie also still hurts a ton

Also like to see what JD looks like next year most of the startling offense is back I believe, durkin, burns, keib, both kemmis boys, and not 100% sure what the starting D will look like.

Who was facing off for JD this year anyone know?

They return their goalie to and he's good.