2019 Nike EYBL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Nike EYBL

I'm in no way bashing JB so please dont even go there...But I hate that his charity event takes place on the opening weekend for recruiting. Such a bizarre time to have it regardless of how it works out for current/former players and celeb invites. Dbag Hurley out here trying to poach our kid in our backyard. Cant stand this turd!

Hurley already took Akok Akok. It will happen more often if the current pace continues. He is a clown but he can recruit.

Just saw Griff catching a few minutes of the younger TTO (Benny Williams) and then he bounced. He isn't wearing orange (black polo with the S), so he is not easy to spot like all the other coaches and their gear.

You guys are right, how does Boeheim not realize that watching these kids play basketball for the 500th time is way more important than raising money to fight cancer.

This is kind of a **** response. You're an employee of a University that pays you quite handsomely, and you're *status* is largely based upon that employment and all the celebrity that resulted and allows you to raise so much money was a direct result of that.

If you want to leverage that celebrity to raise money, go crazy, you should, more people should, but if people want to criticize on any small, medium, large level because it's a "big weekend" for your ACTUAL JOB, then they should be entitled IMO.

I don't follow recruiting that closely, and I don't care about any of this as I don't understand it in it's totality, but if "recruiting" is part of your job - well, it's part of your job. Your personal endeavors should likely take precedence at some other point during the 3 or 4 months a year you're not actively recruiting/coaching.

That being said, I don't really care - I just don't like the manipulative response tbh. "Oh, you're not going to finish your dinner - don't you know there are kids starving in Africa! Don't you care about them." Seems like that, but made to fit this. It's rather mean-spirited.

This is kind of a **** response. You're an employee of a University that pays you quite handsomely, and you're *status* is largely based upon that employment and all the celebrity that resulted and allows you to raise so much money was a direct result of that.

If you want to leverage that celebrity to raise money, go crazy, you should, more people should, but if people want to criticize on any small, medium, large level because it's a "big weekend" for your ACTUAL JOB, then they should be entitled IMO.

I don't follow recruiting that closely, and I don't care about any of this as I don't understand it in it's totality, but if "recruiting" is part of your job - well, it's part of your job. Your personal endeavors should likely take precedence at some other point during the 3 or 4 months a year you're not actively recruiting/coaching.

That being said, I don't really care - I just don't like the manipulative response tbh. "Oh, you're not going to finish your dinner - don't you know there are kids starving in Africa! Don't you care about them." Seems like that, but made to fit this. It's rather mean-spirited.
The foundation dinner was scheduled WAY before this game was. Criticism of JB for not attending this game is silly.

The foundation dinner was scheduled WAY before this game was. Criticism of JB for not attending this game is silly.

I think it's fair to criticize anyone that makes millions of dollars and can't attend an "event" that may be important for work, because you have a gala you scheduled.

I wouldn't personally, as I was under the impression JB stopped recruiting long ago, so it likely doesn't matter anyway, but I can't fault anyone that does or chastise them for thinking his obligation to work should take precedence. Aren't there plenty of "dead periods" to schedule galas and events?

That's my point.

I think it's fair to criticize anyone that makes millions of dollars and can't attend an "event" that may be important for work, because you have a gala you scheduled.

I wouldn't personally, as I was under the impression JB stopped recruiting long ago, so it likely doesn't matter anyway, but I can't fault anyone that does or chastise them for thinking his obligation to work should take precedence. Aren't there plenty of "dead periods" to schedule galas and events?

That's my point.

Why is that one day so critically important? He's seen all these kids play a million times. He's going to watch them all play a million more times. He's on the phone with all the kids who are interested daily. Why is that one day so critically important?

The truth is no matter when his charity event was scheduled people would criticize him, because they are looking for any reason to criticize and nothing more.

You yourself said you don't follow recruitment, but you didn't hesitate to jump in on the criticisms rather than looking for information to help explain his actions.

The truth is, Boeheim missing one day of one tournament will have zero effect on his job, Syracuse' recruits, or their record, and even if it did, raising money to fight cancer would still be the right move.

I just think he means its scheduled at an odd time
It's been scheduled at this time for years.

That's my point.
There are not enough words to express my disagreement with this. Anyone who criticizes JB for not attending this game needs to step back and think about what they are complaining about. You can make "fair" arguments all you want. Maybe JB should just not schedule anything for several years, because maybe something will be scheduled sometime.

No one was criticizing...just a odd time to have it. Griff is there so it's all good. The scheduling of the event WAY before the game is an excuse though. This is the same scenario the past few years I believe. Same convo took n place in a thread last year about why its scheduled during recruiting period. It is what it is and honestly it doesnt effect me either way and I'm all for raising money for a great cause. Some of the responses to anyone questioning anything is ridiculous though. Pretty sure no one called for JBs head because of the charity event being held the same weekend as a highschool basketball game. Just questioned the timing of it. Theres a lot of b.s. posted on here throughout the year that warrants certain responses but this isnt one of them but whatever :p

Why is that one day so critically important? He's seen all these kids play a million times. He's going to watch them all play a million more times. He's on the phone with all the kids who are interested daily. Why is that one day so critically important?

The truth is no matter when his charity event was scheduled people would criticize him, because they are looking for any reason to criticize and nothing more.

You yourself said you don't follow recruitment, but you didn't hesitate to jump in on the criticisms rather than looking for information to help explain his actions.

The truth is, Boeheim missing one day of one tournament will have zero effect on his job, Syracuse' recruits, or their record, and even if it did, raising money to fight cancer would still be the right move.

I jumped on your criticism, because you're being passive aggressive about people not giving the proper due to Cancer.

I just don't think anyone criticizing him for not being available for job-related duties, at a job that affords him that celebrity, and that time, and a handsome salary, isn't entitled to at least question it as a fan. It's not like their picketing, or doing anything other than that. It's a message board. Everyone seems quite rational (at least thus far). I don't personally question it much, because I don't know the relative importance of it all.

I guess since he's seem them all 500 times he should shut it down for the year. :)

It's all relative, Syracuse University library system is hemorrhaging money, their University Press is struggling, plenty of issues like that abound, maybe that could be worth raising money for as well. I mean, he could do that too likely. I don't know. It's all perspective I guess.

And I'm ok with JB not being there...just didnt like it if NO ONE from Syracuse was there. Griff is there so I think it's all good! JB doesnt have to be at every single event. I'm happy we have a presence there.

It's been scheduled at this time for years.

There are not enough words to express my disagreement with this. Anyone who criticizes JB for not attending this game needs to step back and think about what they are complaining about. You can make "fair" arguments all you want. Maybe JB should just not schedule anything for several years, because maybe something will be scheduled sometime.

Are there dead periods, or no?

Jason Hart and Stevie Thompson were chatting it up during the Soldiers/Durant game. Thought this pic would bring everyone back together.

*Edit... sorry the photo is too large to upload. :rolleyes:

** Double edit... took a screenshot of my actual photo and it worked.
Screenshot_20190427-143453_Gallery.jpg

Jason Hart and Stevie Thompson were chatting it up during the Soldiers/Durant game. Thought this pic would bring everyone back together.

*Edit... sorry the photo is too large to upload. :rolleyes:
Freaking tease

Are there dead periods, or no?
Not sure what your point is. If it is that JB should schedule his event (and it is HIS event, not something he chose to attend because he was invited) during a dead period, changing a schedule that has been set for years, on the off-chance that maybe, just maybe, someone he is recruiting might have a game that day, then your point holds no water. Did you see earlier in this thread when today's game was announced?

Let's just forget about all the logistics, invitations, scheduling, venue availability, etc. and play it by ear. I'm sure it won't affect the amount of money raised to fight cancer. Some kid might have a game. 1 game.

Not sure what your point is. If it is that JB should schedule his event (and it is HIS event, not something he chose to attend because he was invited) during a dead period, changing a schedule that has been set for years, on the off-chance that maybe, just maybe, someone he is recruiting might have a game that day, then your point holds no water. Did you see earlier in this thread when today's game was announced?

Let's just forget about all the logistics, invitations, scheduling, venue availability, etc. and play it by ear. I'm sure it won't affect the amount of money raised to fight cancer. Some kid might have a game. 1 game.

I'm asking legitimately. It just seems like you would have such events during dead periods - do the dead periods change wildly from year to year? Sadly, with great salaries come great responsibilities. Sometimes they're inconvenient. :( It doesn't seem fair to the wealthy...I agree with that premise wholeheartedly!

Eh, most of that money seems to go to the American Cancer Society - do they really fight anything? I mean we can all argue the same "might have one game" type nonsensical hypotheticals. Do we really lose that much if the ACS doesn't have another $2M to spend encouraging mammogram awareness.

They've been tied in with Astra-Zeneca, etc...and the companies that make mammography screening equipment forever. They're kind of a shill for that - or at least many would argue that. I'd be more excited if it was support for the Boys & Girls Club. So, I'm not going to get into these silly I/other people don't care about cancer arguments. It's a complicated argument all-around.

I don't care if the gala is raise money for a moon landing...that's not the point of why anyone may have the right to simply express disappointment that this is scheduled during, what I suppose, may constitute employment hours for that person.

I'm asking legitimately. It just seems like you would have such events during dead periods - do the dead periods change wildly from year to year? Sadly, with great salaries come great responsibilities. Sometimes they're inconvenient. :( It doesn't seem fair to the wealthy...I agree with that premise wholeheartedly!

Eh, most of that money seems to go to the American Cancer Society - do they really fight anything? I mean we can all argue the same "might have one game" type nonsensical hypotheticals. Do we really lose that much if the ACS doesn't have another $2M to spend encouraging mammogram awareness.

They've been tied in with Astra-Zeneca, etc...and the companies that make mammography screening equipment forever. They're kind of a shill for that - or at least many would argue that. I'd be more excited if it was support for the Boys & Girls Club. So, I'm not going to get into these silly I/other people don't care about cancer arguments. It's a complicated argument all-around.

I don't care if the gala is raise money for a moon landing...that's not the point of why anyone may have the right to simply express disappointment that this is scheduled during, what I suppose, may constitute employment hours for that person.
Just rubbed me the wrong way, I suppose. :)

Just rubbed me the wrong way, I suppose. :)

Fair enough! :) I don't think you are WRONG, at all btw, I just don't think the other side is wrong either. It's one of those things where I just didn't think they needed to be chastised for the thought --- like they don't care enough about cancer or something.

Last edited: