2019 NIT Season Tip-Off | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2019 NIT Season Tip-Off

Why even bother playing in something with this field? I know our brand is as low as it's been, but is it really this bad? We haven't played in a Tourney with a marquee opponent in how long? UNC in 09-10?

I guess with UNC, Duke, UVa, Louisville (maybe more?) ahead of us in the pecking order for the top tourneys, we are getting pushed to those with mediocre fields.
Is next year the beginning of a 20 game conference schedule? If so, I can see JB wanting to ease up on the difficulty in the non conference.

Is next year the beginning of a 20 game conference schedule? If so, I can see JB wanting to ease up on the difficulty in the non conference.
I think that impacts the games against Georgetown, St John's, UConn, etc more. The preseason tourneys are to gain an extra couple games.

Hoophall Classic in Miami.

3 games at home plus Kansas.
I guess that fits, but wasn't exactly a traditional tourney with multiple name opponents/games at the location. Playing 3 cupcakes and a game against Kansas was a way to gain 4 games on the schedule, while counting as 1. They definitely fit the brand name though.

This is fine all this tournament does is satisfy NYC alums with 2 games at Barclays.
It’s fine.

Well actually they'll be mad it's not at MSG so it won't completely satisfy them but the intent is there :)

This is fine all this tournament does is satisfy NYC alums with 2 games at Barclays.
It’s fine.

But does it really? don't think too many alums would be jacked to go see ole miss on a Tuesday in November or whatever it is...

But does it really? don't think too many alums would be jacked to go see ole miss on a Tuesday in November or whatever it is...
NYC alums don’t get to complain about the opponent.
They get their fix of a convenient game in their backyard as enough.
If they want to complain about opponents then we don’t need to play in NYC.

This tournament is fine for what will probably be a young team. Seniors Howard and Chewy. Battle almost assuredly leaving and possible Brissett. That’s as many as 4 starters. I prefer an easier tournament this year.

I see this tourney as a chance to get better computer numbers, as beating a big 12 or sec team will help, even if the opponent is mediocre. It's the same reason year after year these conferences have high artificially inflated computer numbers. Now if we lose... then it's like losing to Oregon this year. Not the end of the world, but not a "good" loss.

Was that a traditional Tourney or a scheduled game?
Not a tourney, just a scheduled neutral site game at American Airlines Arena, home of the Heat, in Miami. It was part of a double header called the Hoophall Classic. SYR-Kansas played in first game, Miami-Princeton in nightcap. There was no championship or 3rd place game. Just one game for all four teams.

Why even bother playing in something with this field? I know our brand is as low as it's been, but is it really this bad? We haven't played in a Tourney with a marquee opponent in how long? UNC in 09-10?

I guess with UNC, Duke, UVa, Louisville (maybe more?) ahead of us in the pecking order for the top tourneys, we are getting pushed to those with mediocre fields.
twice in the last 7 or 8 seasons we've been bracketed to face a top 10 gonzaga team (maui, battle 4 atlantis) but both times the zags were upset. we were also bracketed to play a top 10 texas team in a 2k classic but we were upset & got iowa instead

The preseason NIT is the day before and the day after Thanksgiving.
Awful days for games, and non-starters for fans looking to travel from out of town.

Hopefully we won't be highlighting the field in the 2019 Post-season NIT as well...

This is pretty much the same line i heard uttered about UConn, Iowa, and Oregon. That being said, agree re another higher end team rounding out the field.

FWIW- coming from NJ, wish it was at MSG. Barclays is a royal pain to get to.

I think that tournament is rigged to help us win. The only X-factor is that Howard got injured in summer.

It is very likely that Boeheim retires with Buddy graduated. The good preseason tournaments may want to book him in 2020 and 2021 because they will be Boeheim's swan song.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom