2019 Schedule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Schedule

Going to make some early season guesses as to what this season might hold for SU in terms of results, game by game. Since I am predicting it, it certainly won't happen in the real world!

Colgate - W - Probably closer than last year's blowout, but it being first game of the season I think Syracuse comes in and plays well.
Albany - W - Hard to say that the team will make up the massive goal differential of last year, but Albany seems to be a completely different team this year. I think the Danes will be better than most people think, and they will probably have the best player on the field in Nanticoke, but I think the Orange winds them down with depth.
Army - W - Always a close game and it will probably be again. I expect the Orange to have a better offense than they did last year and I think we see that in this game. Army has some very good players, but again I think the Orange depth makes a difference.
UVA - L - Again the Orange probably has more depth than UVA, but I don't know if SU has people that can cover all of the Cav's weapons. Hopefully SU pushes the tempo, if they are to win the game it's by trying to wear Virginia out.
Hopkins - L - Unlike the Albany game I don't see how SU can erase the goal differential from last year. Hopkins should be very good this year. I see the game being a lot closer than last year, but the close defense will have to play very well against a dangerous Blue Jay attack. Hop did lose their goalie, FOGO and best midfielder so I think this one will be tight. Face-offs and goalie play will be key.
Rutgers - W - Last years game was bewildering, but this game being at home makes a big difference for SU and they prevail. Going to be tough but I don't see them losing three in a row. Rutgers lost their best attackman but still returns plenty of firepower.
Duke - L - I think this game could go either way, SU always seems to play Duke close and it will be at home. They lost their best player in Gutterding last year, but return some excellent pieces in Smith and Robertson, plus Montgomery should be a breakout player. I think Duke wins but nothing would surprise me as SU usually plays their tougher opponents, actually tougher.
Notre Dame - W - First road game which being so late in the year might throw the Orange off. Notre Dame is very good and returns a lot, but I think SU has a good chance of stealing this one - they always play the Irish close on the road and I think they escape with a win.
Hobart - W - Makes me nervous being a road game and midweek but SU should prevail comfortably.
Cornell - L - Yikes. Cornell just has so much firepower. If they figure out the shutting off of Teat and the new FOGO is as good as the internet claims he might be, this could get ugly. Their defense might not be as good as last year but not sure SU will be able to get into a shootout with a team like this.
UNC - W - A not very good UNC team nearly beat a pretty good SU team last year. I think UNC will be better, especially with their new defensive coordinator, but I think Syracuse takes this one.
Navy - W - Again, last year's meeting was perplexing as SU seemed unable to match the Midshipmen's intensity and it cost them at the end. SU wins this one if they can match intensity and be better at defending opposing midfielders. Would be a great road game to travel to.
First Round ACC - Not sure what their seeding would be, I don't think they end up winning the ACC regular season, but I think they win their first round matchup and lose in the second round.

That would leave SU with a regular season record of 9-5 (8-4 regular season, 1-1 ACC Tournament). Ultimately I think SU makes the second round of the playoffs but losses in the quarterfinals yet again. Key to the season is the young midfielders (both offensive and defensive), hoping an attackman can emerge to partner with Rehfuss, and Tyson Bomberry needs to have a comeback season to give Mellen more help.

I like us against UVA. At home in the dome and they once again have no massive threat at the face off x and their already poor defense just lost its top guy in Scott Hooper. If we put the ball in the cage we should be fine. Of course Conrad could always be an X factor. We are on a regular season win streak of at least 4 years against them for what its worth.

Hop also lost arguably their best attackmen in Shack Stanwick along with the other people you mentioned. A ton of their middie depth is gone as well. But I agree that will still be a close game.

Wait a minute you can have up to 14 regular season games? And we went 12, I mean that’s fine but I assume it’s like what duke does when play 2 games in 3 days or whatever early that adds them up.

Wait a minute you can have up to 14 regular season games? And we went 12, I mean that’s fine but I assume it’s like what duke does when play 2 games in 3 days or whatever early that adds them up.
There's supposed to be some sort of combination of actual games in the spring and playing other teams in the fall that adds up to 14 max for the school year. If you play x number in the fall, you have to schedule fewer in the spring. This is the first year under Lars that UVa played another team in the fall, so we could have scheduled the max in the spring because we only held intrasquad scrimmages in the fall. I do know the ACC tournament counts as one game regardless of how many you actually play, just like in basketball.

I like us against UVA. At home in the dome and they once again have no massive threat at the face off x and their already poor defense just lost its top guy in Scott Hooper. If we put the ball in the cage we should be fine. Of course Conrad could always be an X factor. We are on a regular season win streak of at least 4 years against them for what its worth.

Hop also lost arguably their best attackmen in Shack Stanwick along with the other people you mentioned. A ton of their middie depth is gone as well. But I agree that will still be a close game.

Stanwick was overrated, in my opinion. Nice player but no superstar. The attackmen Hopkins has coming back and that freshman coming in will make that one of the strongest attack units in the country.

Going to make some early season guesses as to what this season might hold for SU in terms of results, game by game. Since I am predicting it, it certainly won't happen in the real world!

Colgate - W - Probably closer than last year's blowout, but it being first game of the season I think Syracuse comes in and plays well.
Albany - W - Hard to say that the team will make up the massive goal differential of last year, but Albany seems to be a completely different team this year. I think the Danes will be better than most people think, and they will probably have the best player on the field in Nanticoke, but I think the Orange winds them down with depth.
Army - W - Always a close game and it will probably be again. I expect the Orange to have a better offense than they did last year and I think we see that in this game. Army has some very good players, but again I think the Orange depth makes a difference.
UVA - L - Again the Orange probably has more depth than UVA, but I don't know if SU has people that can cover all of the Cav's weapons. Hopefully SU pushes the tempo, if they are to win the game it's by trying to wear Virginia out.
Hopkins - L - Unlike the Albany game I don't see how SU can erase the goal differential from last year. Hopkins should be very good this year. I see the game being a lot closer than last year, but the close defense will have to play very well against a dangerous Blue Jay attack. Hop did lose their goalie, FOGO and best midfielder so I think this one will be tight. Face-offs and goalie play will be key.
Rutgers - W - Last years game was bewildering, but this game being at home makes a big difference for SU and they prevail. Going to be tough but I don't see them losing three in a row. Rutgers lost their best attackman but still returns plenty of firepower.
Duke - L - I think this game could go either way, SU always seems to play Duke close and it will be at home. They lost their best player in Gutterding last year, but return some excellent pieces in Smith and Robertson, plus Montgomery should be a breakout player. I think Duke wins but nothing would surprise me as SU usually plays their tougher opponents, actually tougher.
Notre Dame - W - First road game which being so late in the year might throw the Orange off. Notre Dame is very good and returns a lot, but I think SU has a good chance of stealing this one - they always play the Irish close on the road and I think they escape with a win.
Hobart - W - Makes me nervous being a road game and midweek but SU should prevail comfortably.
Cornell - L - Yikes. Cornell just has so much firepower. If they figure out the shutting off of Teat and the new FOGO is as good as the internet claims he might be, this could get ugly. Their defense might not be as good as last year but not sure SU will be able to get into a shootout with a team like this.
UNC - W - A not very good UNC team nearly beat a pretty good SU team last year. I think UNC will be better, especially with their new defensive coordinator, but I think Syracuse takes this one.
Navy - W - Again, last year's meeting was perplexing as SU seemed unable to match the Midshipmen's intensity and it cost them at the end. SU wins this one if they can match intensity and be better at defending opposing midfielders. Would be a great road game to travel to.
First Round ACC - Not sure what their seeding would be, I don't think they end up winning the ACC regular season, but I think they win their first round matchup and lose in the second round.

That would leave SU with a regular season record of 9-5 (8-4 regular season, 1-1 ACC Tournament). Ultimately I think SU makes the second round of the playoffs but losses in the quarterfinals yet again. Key to the season is the young midfielders (both offensive and defensive), hoping an attackman can emerge to partner with Rehfuss, and Tyson Bomberry needs to have a comeback season to give Mellen more help.

Pretty sound analysis. If Cook can deliver out of the gate and get D units rotating - and our D unit can put it all together - I think we can go deeper than the Quarters

Just watched the Hopkins-Cuse from 1993 on YouTube. That was the regular season finale. Syracuse won the game and finished the regular reason ...... 9-2. Which is 11 games. The announcers mentioned they were scheduled for 12, but one was snowed out. Things seemed to work out just fine for Syracuse that year.

Point is, a 12-game schedule isn't unheard of for Syracuse. I haven't checked, but undoubtedly there were other seasons they only played 12 regular season games.

Last edited:
I apologize if I just haven't been paying attention, but regarding scrimmages for Syracuse this spring -- who/when/where/how many, if any?

I apologize if I just haven't been paying attention, but regarding scrimmages for Syracuse this spring -- who/when/where/how many, if any?

Hofstra (Sat Jan 26)

Yale (Sat Feb 2)

Scrimmages are held at the Ensley Center and are closed to the public.

Will anyone be able to attend the scrimmage this weekend? I know it is closed to the public, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Will anyone be able to attend the scrimmage this weekend? I know it is closed to the public, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe the Daily Orange will attend.

I'm sure the guy from the P-S has a Crunch game that day.

Maybe the Daily Orange will attend.

I'm sure the guy from the P-S has a Crunch game that day.

There is usually a blurb from either SU or the PS or somebody from these scrimmages. We have gleaned some good info the last few years.

My season tix arrived in the mail today. Brendan Bomberry appears on the Army game tix. Yes, a player with no eligibility. Tyson Bomberry, a two-time captain, is nowhere to be found. Geez I wonder what happened? This is some "Boheim" attention-to-detail. What a joke!!!

Do the tickets get you into the Carrier Dome on the appointed day and time?

Do the tickets get you into the Carrier Dome on the appointed day and time?
Yes, the season tix come in a booklet and the individual game tix get scanned for entry. For souvenir purposes I keep my tix in the booklet (don’t ripe them out and bring the entire booklet with me each game).

My season tix arrived in the mail today. Brendan Bomberry appears on the Army game tix. Yes, a player with no eligibility. Tyson Bomberry, a two-time captain, is nowhere to be found. Geez I wonder what happened? This is some "Boheim" attention-to-detail. What a joke!!!

Email from SU:

We’re Sorry!
We have identified an error on our commemorative/souvenir ticket stock for your men’s lacrosse season tickets. The image on the Army game ticket is of Brendan Bomberry, a recent graduate of the program. The photo should have been of 2019 co-captain Tyson Bomberry. Your ticket will still scan as usual and no action is needed.

We made a mistake and we apologize…but with the misstep comes an opportunity for you to show this email at guest services for a complimentary Syracuse Athletics gift during our first home game of the season.

Email from SU:

We’re Sorry!
We have identified an error on our commemorative/souvenir ticket stock for your men’s lacrosse season tickets. The image on the Army game ticket is of Brendan Bomberry, a recent graduate of the program. The photo should have been of 2019 co-captain Tyson Bomberry. Your ticket will still scan as usual and no action is needed.

We made a mistake and we apologize…but with the misstep comes an opportunity for you to show this email at guest services for a complimentary Syracuse Athletics gift during our first home game of the season.

Someone's getting a pocket calendar or Scoop Jardine magnet.

Email from SU:

We’re Sorry!

HHH t-shirt. But the only size available was Large

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom