Women's Lacrosse - 2019 Season Wrap Up | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse 2019 Season Wrap Up

That’s a wrap on the 2019 season! Was rooting for BC since Syracuse was out after the quarterfinals— but BC’s offense looked stagnant and lost for the majority of the game. I’ll give credit to Maryland’s defense for that. I feel horrible for Apuzzo, Kent, and Arsenault and wish them luck in their future endeavors, hopefully we will see them coaching at the collegiate level soon. Regardless of the outcome, I think Apuzzo still deserves to win the Tewaaratan again for all of the things she has done this year. She is an all around player—whether its draw controls, riding and causing turnovers in the midfield, or scoring/assisting on offense. She lead the team in caused turnovers this year and she’s not even a defender! 90-something goals this year in the nations toughest conference and was facegaurded most games! What a horrible end to a brilliant career.

And as much as it pains me to say this, congrats to Cathy Reese and her Terps. I’m not a huge fan of her coaching style, in the sense that I feel like Maryland doesn’t really push any boundaries when it comes to revolutionizing the sport and playing creatively/trying new things. However, even though I don’t find Maryland fun to watch, I respect what Reese does because it works— she’s good at motivating, preparing her team each game and hiring the right assistant coaches that help put together a well rounded team thats good enough to win a national title on a consistent basis (same goes for UNC). They earned that win from their relentless and suffocating defense…Megan Taylor’s 10 saves were huge.

In regards to next year for SU, if Gait can hire the RIGHT assistant coaches, one’s that balance out his laid-backness and bring in a new, fresh and positive energy, then the sky is the limit. Too many laid-back coaches, and well, we will end up with the same product we’ve had the last 2-3 years. Turning the ball over 20+ times a game, sloppy midfield play (taking 7 years to clear the ball, little effort at riding to cause a turnover), no communication on defense, terrible at draw controls, etc. Now, I’ve said this many many times before, I don’t think Caitlyn Defliese is right for the program. The defense did get a little better this year but there are still holes in that department, as you can see from the games we lost this year and especially the one that got us booted out of the tournament against Northwestern. Don’t think he will fire her, because he stole her from Joe Spallina and probably would feel bad for stealing her, only to fire her and make her look for another job, but IMO it needs to happen if he wants to win a national championship.

The difference between SU and the top programs in the sport (Maryland, UNC, Northwestern) 100% comes down to coaching. Although I love that Gary lets the girls play creatively and has revolutionized women’s lacrosse which has made watching much more fun (one handed craddle, under hand shot from the 8 meter, BTB passes, stick skills i.e. Nicole Levy, Michelle Tumolo, Kayla Treanor, Emily Hawryschuk)— there has to be a balance to that. I don’t think he motivates the girls like they need to be, or spends enough time on drills in practice that help with passing/catching in transition, ground balls, etc. Which is why they play sloppy and we never know how SU is going to come out and play. Some days they are really good and do just enough to squeak by with a win. Other times they don’t show up at all and lose horribly. With Maryland, you know they are going to give you their 100% each and every game.. doesn’t matter who they are playing. Same goes for UNC. Northwestern has had it rough the last 6-7 years but I think they are on the right track to being the team they once were when they were winning consecutive championships from 2005-2012. I think its sad that Gary Gait cant win a game against Cathy Reese and Kelly Amonte Hiller to save his life, who, keep in mind, he coached both at Maryland. They’re running circles around their old coach! Hiller already with 7 titles and Reese now with 5.

Regarding recruiting — I’ve also noticed that recruiting has dropped off the map. UNC, Maryland, BC, Florida, Northwestern have dozens of 5 star players already committed over the next 2 years EACH, SU only has 1 five star and one 4.5 star for 2019. 2 five star and 2 four star recruits for 2020. Good thing is we return nearly every major player from next year, so it doesn’t really matter but we are still screwed when it comes to draw controls. I’ve seen both incoming recruits who take draws for their high school teams play (Katelyn Mashewske and Courtney Carollo—who is a backup by the way) and they aren’t very good either. Im hoping Kempney drastically improves over the next year to help Hawryschuk if she’s struggling. Not sure who is going to fill in for Levy at attack next year, my guess is either incoming freshman Chevarie or Hawley as they are the most talented one’s I’ve seen out of the incoming 2019’s at attack. I really hope the same thing isn’t happening to the women’s team as it is for the men’s due to ridiculous tuition cost and the fact we haven’t been to championship weekend in quite some time now.

Next up is the Under Armour All America Game on June 29 (my birthday), which 2 of our recruits will be playing in, so I will be watching. Then, I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat over the next couple of months waiting to hear who Gait has hired for Regy. I’m already looking forward to next year, and hope many more people who watch and support the women’s lacrosse team will start becoming more interactive on this forum. Peace out for now! ;):cool:

That’s a wrap on the 2019 season! Was rooting for BC since Syracuse was out after the quarterfinals— but BC’s offense looked stagnant and lost for the majority of the game. I’ll give credit to Maryland’s defense for that. I feel horrible for Apuzzo, Kent, and Arsenault and wish them luck in their future endeavors, hopefully we will see them coaching at the collegiate level soon. Regardless of the outcome, I think Apuzzo still deserves to win the Tewaaratan again for all of the things she has done this year. She is an all around player—whether its draw controls, riding and causing turnovers in the midfield, or scoring/assisting on offense. She lead the team in caused turnovers this year and she’s not even a defender! 90-something goals this year in the nations toughest conference and was facegaurded most games! What a horrible end to a brilliant career.

And as much as it pains me to say this, congrats to Cathy Reese and her Terps. I’m not a huge fan of her coaching style, in the sense that I feel like Maryland doesn’t really push any boundaries when it comes to revolutionizing the sport and playing creatively/trying new things. However, even though I don’t find Maryland fun to watch, I respect what Reese does because it works— she’s good at motivating, preparing her team each game and hiring the right assistant coaches that help put together a well rounded team thats good enough to win a national title on a consistent basis (same goes for UNC). They earned that win from their relentless and suffocating defense…Megan Taylor’s 10 saves were huge.

In regards to next year for SU, if Gait can hire the RIGHT assistant coaches, one’s that balance out his laid-backness and bring in a new, fresh and positive energy, then the sky is the limit. Too many laid-back coaches, and well, we will end up with the same product we’ve had the last 2-3 years. Turning the ball over 20+ times a game, sloppy midfield play (taking 7 years to clear the ball, little effort at riding to cause a turnover), no communication on defense, terrible at draw controls, etc. Now, I’ve said this many many times before, I don’t think Caitlyn Defliese is right for the program. The defense did get a little better this year but there are still holes in that department, as you can see from the games we lost this year and especially the one that got us booted out of the tournament against Northwestern. Don’t think he will fire her, because he stole her from Joe Spallina and probably would feel bad for stealing her, only to fire her and make her look for another job, but IMO it needs to happen if he wants to win a national championship.

The difference between SU and the top programs in the sport (Maryland, UNC, Northwestern) 100% comes down to coaching. Although I love that Gary lets the girls play creatively and has revolutionized women’s lacrosse which has made watching much more fun (one handed craddle, under hand shot from the 8 meter, BTB passes, stick skills i.e. Nicole Levy, Michelle Tumolo, Kayla Treanor, Emily Hawryschuk)— there has to be a balance to that. I don’t think he motivates the girls like they need to be, or spends enough time on drills in practice that help with passing/catching in transition, ground balls, etc. Which is why they play sloppy and we never know how SU is going to come out and play. Some days they are really good and do just enough to squeak by with a win. Other times they don’t show up at all and lose horribly. With Maryland, you know they are going to give you their 100% each and every game.. doesn’t matter who they are playing. Same goes for UNC. Northwestern has had it rough the last 6-7 years but I think they are on the right track to being the team they once were when they were winning consecutive championships from 2005-2012. I think its sad that Gary Gait cant win a game against Cathy Reese and Kelly Amonte Hiller to save his life, who, keep in mind, he coached both at Maryland. They’re running circles around their old coach! Hiller already with 7 titles and Reese now with 5.

Regarding recruiting — I’ve also noticed that recruiting has dropped off the map. UNC, Maryland, BC, Florida, Northwestern have dozens of 5 star players already committed over the next 2 years EACH, SU only has 1 five star and one 4.5 star for 2019. 2 five star and 2 four star recruits for 2020. Good thing is we return nearly every major player from next year, so it doesn’t really matter but we are still screwed when it comes to draw controls. I’ve seen both incoming recruits who take draws for their high school teams play (Katelyn Mashewske and Courtney Carollo—who is a backup by the way) and they aren’t very good either. Im hoping Kempney drastically improves over the next year to help Hawryschuk if she’s struggling. Not sure who is going to fill in for Levy at attack next year, my guess is either incoming freshman Chevarie or Hawley as they are the most talented one’s I’ve seen out of the incoming 2019’s at attack. I really hope the same thing isn’t happening to the women’s team as it is for the men’s due to ridiculous tuition cost and the fact we haven’t been to championship weekend in quite some time now.

Next up is the Under Armour All America Game on June 29 (my birthday), which 2 of our recruits will be playing in, so I will be watching. Then, I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat over the next couple of months waiting to hear who Gait has hired for Regy. I’m already looking forward to next year, and hope many more people who watch and support the women’s lacrosse team will start becoming more interactive on this forum. Peace out for now! ;):cool:

Is Thorpe gone? Didn't know that. Well, that provides an opportunity to shake things up a bit.

This year was a huge improvement over last year. But, you're right. They just can't seem to get over the hump and win the NCAA. They looked totally flat in the first half of the Northwestern game which I cannot understand.

Yes, Kempney has a loooong way to go if she's ever going to be a mainstay at draws. She doesn't evidence any desire to stick her nose into the scrum when the ball is on the ground. Sort of "oh well..." and runs off the field.

SU actually, doesn't have room for a lot of new recruits as they don't lose a lot. So for now, the numbers are ok.

At least WLAX doesn't need a total overhaul like MLAX does.

Glad to see that Meg Carney scored 2 goals against the WPLL ladies yesterday. I like how she started playing more loose and creatively in the last few games of the season, especially in that quarterfinal loss to Northwestern. Ripping it top corner on FPS, scoring back handed, dodging harder/being more aggressive, assisting, etc. Looks like that kind of play has translated to this summer with the US U-19 team. Scoring goals against Tewaaratan winners and All-American defenders such as: Alice Mercer, Megan Douty, Taylor Cummings, Zoe Stukenberg. Hope she continues to improve her game and comes back next year even better than she was this year.

Last edited:
Future orange with their accolades ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5455.jpg
    IMG_5455.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 40

Glad to see that Meg Carney scored 2 goals against the WPLL ladies yesterday. I like how she started playing more loose and creatively in the last few games of the season, especially in that quarterfinal loss to Northwestern. Ripping it top corner on FPS, scoring back handed, dodging harder/being more aggressive, assisting, etc. Looks like that kind of play has translated to this summer with the US U-19 team. Scoring goals against Tewaaratan winners and All-American defenders such as: Alice Mercer, Megan Douty, Taylor Cummings, Zoe Stukenberg. Hope she continues to improve her game and comes back next year even better than she was this year.
Ugh Wurzberger :(

Ugh Wurzberger :(
I know!!! In my original post I was going to say it really sucked she decided to de-commit because our offense could've been really potent the next four years. She could've been that difference maker to help us get over that hump, just like Kayla Treanor was for our program. But unfortunately now we're going to have to go against her. She is going to help UNC win some national championships without a doubt. :mad:

Syracuse
The Orange left Evanston, Ill., where it lost to Northwestern in the NCAA quarterfinals, knowing it had its top three point scorers returning next year. Rising senior Emily Hawryschuk, an arguable Tewaaraton finalist snub, tallied team highs of 75 goals and 94 points. Meaghan Tyrrrell (37 G, 20 A) and Megan Carney (32 G, 24 A) will have a chance to build on solid rookie seasons. Nicole Levy, who led the team with 27 assists, is Syracuse’s largest offensive loss, but the team has the talent to fill her cleats. In the circle, all three of the Orange’s leaders return in Hawrsychuk (67 DC), Sarah Cooper (42 DC) and Morgan Widner (42 DC). Cooper, the ACC Rookie of the Year, also paced the team with 33 caused turnovers and gave the Orange, which is often known for its high-powered offense, a steady force on defense. Kerry Defilese was second to Cooper in caused turnovers with 28 and will be a senior in ’19. They’ll likely again play in front of goalie Asa Goldstock, who had a 10.25 goals-against average (GAA) and .420 save percentage as a junior. Given the amount of returning talent and the game experience Tyrrell, Carney and Cooper now boast, the Orange have a solid shot at contending for its first title next year.

NO. 2 SYRACUSE
2019 record: 16-5 (5-2 ACC)
Last seen: Unable to keep up with Northwestern in an 18-14 NCAA quarterfinal loss as a No. 5 seed
Senior starters lost: 60 of 252 (23.8 percent)
Senior scoring departing: 47 of 295 (15.9 percent)
Initial forecast: Is this the year that Gary Gait’s Syracuse squad finally breaks through with a national title? The experience returning (10 of 12 starters) for the Orange is among the best in the nation. The top four scorers are back led by All-ACC standout Emily Hawryschuk (71g, 67dc). In support of Hawryschuk are Meagan Tyrrell (37g, 20a), Megan Carney (32g, 24a) and Sam Swart (32g, 6a). Defensively, Sarah Cooper (36gb, 33ct) Kerry Defliese (33gb, 28) and Ella Simkins (29gb, 26ct) are talented and versatile, helping on draws and getting out in transition as needed. Expect a big senior season out of goalie Asa Goldstock, who has shown big in important games (10+ saves against Boston College, Maryland, Florida and Notre Dame).

Congrats to Megan Carney for making the final roster of 18 players for the U.S. U19 team. They will be playing in the World Lacrosse Women’s U19 Championship in Peterborough, Ontario this August :)

Were approaching fall ball season and still no word or release on who Gait has hired for DC in replace of Thorpe? Seems like he’s taking his sweet time finding the right fit and I don’t blame him at all. This next hire is crucial and could determine whether he will ever win a National Championship or not.. COME THROUGH FOR US, GARY!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom