2020 Commencement on the Quad | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Commencement on the Quad

what did SU do before the dome?

I graduated in 1973 and graduation was in Manley. Each graduate was limited to three tickets.

what did SU do before the dome?

I graduated in 1973 and graduation was in Manley. Each graduate was limited to three tickets.
My husbands' was in Manley. I was out on the quad. We did it by schools only.

most places when they get pushed indoors uses tickets to lower attendance. Other places go to separate events for colleges
The good weather location for UVa's commencement is on The Lawn. It's first come-first served admission there. If there is inclement weather, then it gets moved into JPJ and only ticket holders are allowed in and the ceremony is broadcast to various auditoriums around The Grounds. The schools and and Arts & Sciences departments then go to various locations for their own ceremonies. What are the biggest class auditoriums at SU?

Syracuse University’s 2020 Commencement will be held at the Manley Field House in case of severe weather.

The university officially announced on Sept. 19 that Commencement will be held on the Quad to accommodate for renovations to the Carrier Dome. If the ceremony is required to move indoors due to weather, transportation will be provided from Main Campus to Manley, a multi-purpose arena near SU’s South Campus.

Commencement 2020 would be split into two separate ceremonies if moved to Manley, one with five schools at 9:30 a.m. and the second with seven schools at 1 p.m on Sunday, May 10.

“The ceremonies would be identical with the exception of only recognizing those schools and colleges in attendance,” according to SU’s Commencement 2020 website.

Syracuse University’s 2020 Commencement will be held at the Manley Field House in case of severe weather.

The university officially announced on Sept. 19 that Commencement will be held on the Quad to accommodate for renovations to the Carrier Dome. If the ceremony is required to move indoors due to weather, transportation will be provided from Main Campus to Manley, a multi-purpose arena near SU’s South Campus.

Commencement 2020 would be split into two separate ceremonies if moved to Manley, one with five schools at 9:30 a.m. and the second with seven schools at 1 p.m on Sunday, May 10.

“The ceremonies would be identical with the exception of only recognizing those schools and colleges in attendance,” according to SU’s Commencement 2020 website.

I'm confused, what is this "Carrier Dome" that officially was referenced by SU? ;)

why not go to the Amph? it holds 15K doesnt it? at least people would have parking and seating
It seats 5000K. The rest of the 17,000 (?) capacity is lawn.

They could try the IPF as well with a bunch of port-a-potties.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in the other thread, I feel this is an overreaction.

This idea sounds like setting up a Superbowl party on the following Thursday.

I don't see the harm in still having a Commencement if they're able to logistically pull it off. I'm sure the Seniors will really appreciate being on campus one more time, say goodbye to their friends, and bring some closure to their college years.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I feel this is an overreaction.

Not sure what you’d prefer. I have to imagine there will be a fair few no shows. Won’t be a weekend we have a game. Hotels will be crazy expensive. They have to have it and we’re lucky to have a Dome so it can be one event for everyone and no capacity concerns.

Feel awful for everyone aged 15-23 or so going through this.

Obviously I feel bad for people working on the front line or folks who can’t get away from this ie someone stuck in a nursing home or even anyone who has to live with a nurse or similar. But after them it’s the young kids who are not at risk that are getting screwed all across the globe. I can sit inside with my TP but if I was that age I’d definitely be like screw this im gonna go drink in the woods with my friends. I also got out of college right when the last one of these things hit and I’m still very insecure about the fact I had to work an unskilled job for a few years and get a late start on my career.

Not sure what you’d prefer. I have to imagine there will be a fair few no shows. Won’t be a weekend we have a game. Hotels will be crazy expensive. They have to have it and we’re lucky to have a Dome so it can be one event for everyone and no capacity concerns.

Feel awful for everyone aged 15-23 or so going through this.

Obviously I feel bad for people working on the front line or folks who can’t get away from this ie someone stuck in a nursing home or even anyone who has to live with a nurse or similar. But after them it’s the young kids who are not at risk that are getting screwed all across the globe. I can sit inside with my TP but if I was that age I’d definitely be like screw this im gonna go drink in the woods with my friends. I also got out of college right when the last one of these things hit and I’m still very insecure about the fact I had to work an unskilled job for a few years and get a late start on my career.

Why do they have to have it? Have it virtually. What would have happened had there been a rain out or even worse, snow? Syracuse weather in May is unpredictable. Would they have postponed it or moved it to date TBD?

I don't see the harm in still having a Commencement if they're able to logistically pull it off. I'm sure the Seniors will really appreciate being on campus one more time, say goodbye to their friends, and bring some closure to their college years.

Me neither. Below are the key words in the story imho. The seniors opinion matters a heck of a lot more than anyone else's imho. Those that don't want to come back don't have to.

The plan to hold a postponed commencement ceremony in the Carrier Dome was made with the input of graduating students.

Syverud wrote that it was the “overwhelming” choice.

Assuming that all the Seniors are currently home finishing up their on-line degrees and applying for jobs, how many will actually return to Syracuse in September?

the day my daughter graduated from law school/maxwelll rain and sleet. was glad it was inside. when she graduated from upenn --poured the entire time at franklin field we watched it from the corridor under the bleachers. it was wet windy and chilly.

since its pretty much a given they will reach out and have people register why the big concern that they try to give people some closure? What number are more than a few hours drive away and how many were gonna stay around for the normal ceremony?

If kids and family want to come back let them.

Assuming the vagueness of the timeline was intentional and SU knows they won't be able to hold mass gatherings this Fall. I wonder if they are trying to appease angry parents with the line "it's coming, we are working on it".

I'm sure the hotels will love monitoring the cancellations that will occur every weekend now in Sept and Oct.

Assuming the vagueness of the timeline was intentional and SU knows they won't be able to hold mass gatherings this Fall. I wonder if they are trying to appease angry parents with the line "it's coming, we are working on it".

I'm sure the hotels will love monitoring the cancellations that will occur every weekend now in Sept and Oct.
there is no way the university would know that there will be no gatherings at minimum 3-6 months from now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom