2020 Pass Catchers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Pass Catchers

Benson is both faster and quicker than Cameron Jordan. There I said it.
It’s not straight line speed at wr or dB it’s about fluid hips and not all possess it .
I’m disappointed we didn’t snag a grad transfer proven wr

I’m disappointed we didn’t snag a grad transfer proven wr
I'm not.

Most of the blitz's last year, were doubles at either side of our Guards.. I think it helped in making TD less dimensional. It certainly didnt help Riley, IMO. (proven player). Improvement here, and in the Run game, will help add the necessary dimension back in. With a more functional offense, I think we have the horses.

Assumptions: Barron starts off at WR, Carter and Pena start off at DB. I think Luke Benson might get a few snaps as a WR too but he is a TE and will be considered one for this exercise.

That leaves us with this group:

Taj Harris
Nykeim Johnson
Cameron Jordan
Sharod Johnson
Courtney Jackson
Russell Thompson-Bishop
Anthony Queeley
Ed Hendrix
Damien Alford
Justin Barron
Ja'Vontae Williams

Taj Harris

Taj is going to get a lot of balls thrown his way. Very disturbed he not only didn't gain weight from last year but is actually listed at 3 pounds less than 2019 (172 vs 175). No question he has a lot of talent.

Nykeim Johnson

Went from 41 catches and 13.8 ypc as a soph to 19 catches for 5.2 ypc as a junior. He had surgery and reportedly was not 100% during most, if not all of the season. His health is one of the keys for the season.

Sharod Johnson

Went from 7 catches and 13.9 ypc as a frosh to 1 catch for 0 yards as a soph. Not sure why. I don't think he was hurt. Anyway, the trend here is not a good one and with Nykeim and Courtney on the team, is there a significant role for another small guy? Probably not.

Courtney Jackson

From what I have seen, Courtney Jackson is a special playmaker and is going to fight his way into the rotation. He can catch, he can get open and he can run after the catch. I would not be surprised if he gets more catches than any WR on the team. That said, this is based mostly on his performance in a spring game and what I have seen of him in pre game warmups.

Cam Jordan

You can see a lot of similarities between Cam and Jamel Custis. Both are big, strong guys who can run. This offense needs a big, strong, physical guy who can block well on screens for other WRs can make tough catches in traffic. Cam is next in line for that role and I think he will step up and take it. Should get a lot of PT and make his share of catches, especially on 3rd downs and in the red zone.

I think one more WR will get some playing time. Another big guy who can block and make tough catches. Thompson-Bishop, Queeley, Hendrix, Alford and Barron all fit the bill. One of the first three is most likely because it is tough for a frosh to learn the assignments so early. I hope Hendrix is the guy because he has the mix of experience and talent to be really good this year. If he can't do it, it is really wide open and I could even see Alford or Barron step up and get some reps.

Of course, I still hope that Jawhar Jordan gets some reps at WR as well. I suspect the staff will find ways to get him some touches. They used a formation with two RBs a little. That might really work with Jordan this season. But I would like to see us try and get Jawhar the ball in space, on WR screens, WR reverses, stuff like that. Gotta find a way to leverage that weapon in this offense.
After Taj it's such a question mark who the heck knows. Hendrix was going to crack the 2-deep as a true freshman. Therefore, IF he returns to form then I'd pencil him in as the other starter. If he doesnt then?...

The #2s will be a shootout. I think Alford and Williams have as much as chance to crack the 2-deep as anyone. Though I seem to recall Ja'Williams maybe playing on the inside.

In a 4 man set I'm going to go with Harris, Hendrix, CJackson and Nykiem.

Queeley has great hands but I've never seen him run. What can he do with the ball after the catch? If he can run and has the twitch then maybe he moves up to the 1 line.

I think that #2 group remains Cameron Jordan, Sharod Johnson, Russell Thompson-Bishop and Anthony Queeley.

I know spring ball was only 4 practices but would be interesting to know how Ja'Vontae Williams (and Hendrix) performed in that time. Any little morsel would be welcome.

While I agree that Nykiem is a bit of a question since he had a rough year last year, it's interesting to note that both he and Sean Riley had really nice seasons in 2018 and that not a single slot receiver had any success to speak of in 2019.

I would tend to think that if Nykiem's 2018 was a mirage of some sort than someone would have at least seen an uptick in their numbers, particularly with Riley struggling as well. But that didn't happen.

So I'm inclined to believe that some combination of crappy OL, maybe some issues in the offensive coordinator's booth, injuries and a young QB led to some of those struggles.

The biggest question for the slot guys, IMO, is can Tommy attack the middle of the field this season? Basically everything he threw short or in the intermediate range was outside the hash. That has to improve for us to have success.

In short, I think we certainly have questions beyond Taj and Nykiem (though I was surprised Courtney Jackson got no run after having such buzz all summer) but I also believe that both Nykiem and Sharrod can play and, if we trust the buzz around Courtney Jackson, and maybe we get creative with Jawhar (purely my thought though I haven't read anything about it), I feel like we have at least a competent group there.

At the outside spots, I'm not so sure.

Either way we need the OL to function and Tommy to be better. I'm down on TD relative to a lot of folks here, but I'm certainly hoping he was just young or shellshocked or whatever everyone else is pointing to as the reason for the not-terribly-exciting offensive performance we saw last season. But I don't know that I'm all that concerned about the slot positions.

I think our OL will be greatly improved, and as a result even WRs who looked ineffective last year will look improved. Plus with the run game performing better, WRs will have more room to operate.

Harris, Benson, and a healthy Nykeim Johnson make for a decent trio. They need one more dynamic playmaker. I think it will be Courtney Jackson. Cam Jordan can earn PT if he blocks well on the perimeter.

If you change your style (bottom left of the page) from Syracuse Default to Pub Only and hover over Like, you should see several other choices. The hover works on a desktop or laptop. If you're on your phone, I think you can press Like without releasing and you should see the options.

View attachment 183159
Just did it. Thanks

While I agree that Nykiem is a bit of a question since he had a rough year last year, it's interesting to note that both he and Sean Riley had really nice seasons in 2018 and that not a single slot receiver had any success to speak of in 2019.

I would tend to think that if Nykiem's 2018 was a mirage of some sort than someone would have at least seen an uptick in their numbers, particularly with Riley struggling as well. But that didn't happen.

So I'm inclined to believe that some combination of crappy OL, maybe some issues in the offensive coordinator's booth, injuries and a young QB led to some of those struggles.

The biggest question for the slot guys, IMO, is can Tommy attack the middle of the field this season? Basically everything he threw short or in the intermediate range was outside the hash. That has to improve for us to have success.

In short, I think we certainly have questions beyond Taj and Nykiem (though I was surprised Courtney Jackson got no run after having such buzz all summer) but I also believe that both Nykiem and Sharrod can play and, if we trust the buzz around Courtney Jackson, and maybe we get creative with Jawhar (purely my thought though I haven't read anything about it), I feel like we have at least a competent group there.

At the outside spots, I'm not so sure.

Either way we need the OL to function and Tommy to be better. I'm down on TD relative to a lot of folks here, but I'm certainly hoping he was just young or shellshocked or whatever everyone else is pointing to as the reason for the not-terribly-exciting offensive performance we saw last season. But I don't know that I'm all that concerned about the slot positions.
Insightful post. I think some of us are dismissing Johnson too early (including me). Slot Wr production has a lot to do with the scheme and QB play too. Despite his size, I personally think Jawhar is a natural RB. He will probably be used more like Moe. Traditional run plays but I think he will also be good on screen passes, swings and jets sweeps.

Insightful post. I think some of us are dismissing Johnson too early (including me). Slot Wr production has a lot to do with the scheme and QB play too. Despite his size, I personally think Jawhar is a natural RB. He will probably be used more like Moe. Traditional run plays but I think he will also be good on screen passes, swings and jets sweeps.
If I’m being honest N Johnson has a lot to reprove. Though he may have been dinged up, I saw him give up on plays and routes on a near game by game basis. This is partially what killed our offense. I know that’s not him, I know he’s got what it takes to be a leader out there. But you gotta leave it all on the field.

If I’m being honest N Johnson has a lot to reprove. Though he may have been dinged up, I saw him give up on plays and routes on a near game by game basis. This is partially what killed our offense. I know that’s not him, I know he’s got what it takes to be a leader out there. But you gotta leave it all on the field.
Maybe his injuries contributed to that. I dont know either way. Something was off about him though. I agree he has to reprove himself and make those down the field catches he made previous years. At the same time, no other slot Wr's did enough to take his reps.

i don’t disagree that Nykiem had a brutal year and I don’t know that I saw enough to comment on his effort. But there is a human element here. You’re getting crushed game after Game, getting no touches and maybe discouraged by your physical issues. I mean, we all expect robots but I can understand if there was some significant frustration. Hopefully we won’t have to worry about any of that this season.

Not a single like for this yet? Tough crowd. The degree of difficulty on "that's what he said" is a lot higher than "that's what she said."
That's because, if we repeated what many guys might say? We would all get banned...;-)

As far as what She might say?

"Benson is both faster and quicker than Cameron Jordan. There I said it." May have been worthy of a that's what she said.

My personal favorite?
"I'm low on this unit"
Say what you will after that one... :)

Our last 4 games, the team functioned as a more cohesive unit. It wasn't just the Line. Jarveon Howard carried the freaking pile.(AWESOME) Welch made them respect his run. TD made them respect his pass.

Yes. Servais is as true a Tackle you will come by(imo). Berg filled in well for Alexander. Alexander was a public scapegoat.(not a team one) (why they were pissed he quit) To Berg's credit he didnt give up more pressures than Alexander. ( I always focus my attention on the line, including NFL. I watch every line play, many times) Blitz's were designed- that didnt need to respect the run- to confuse the G/T, or G/C responsibility and hand offs. Other areas improving, also helped the line, to not deal with blitz after blitz. To Cavs credit, they eventually improved their pick ups.

When talking about receivers, I still think it's about the whole cohesive unit. The Patriots didnt pick up Riley because he had 36 catches, last year. It's because of how he operated in a cohesive whole, the year before. Everything matters. Why I'm not worried with this years WR stable.

Hackett is our legit Tight end. He hasnt even been mentioned... smh. I'm adding only because the Benson (TE) talk. He can block. He's our Tight end. Good for 23 receptions last year. What the HECK are you watching? lol... Blocking is important. We talk about Benson because the kid has afterburners. Cool. But I want a TE that can block. Situationally? yeah. Benson. (love the kid) Hackett is my TE.

I don't see anyone surpassing Hackett, for traditional TE duty. Mahar shows great promise, but I dunno if he picks up the blocking scheme. If he? or the German do? Hackett already has it with a frame to deliver. 245 +...I can see him topping 40 Rec this year, WHILE blocking. I could see Benson sliding a little off the line for some burner yards.(as he improves his frame and to not give away it's going to him when replacing a traditional TE) Maybe our German or Mahar in TD situations. (length) Hackett continues to earn that spot. Dropping Benson here signals intent. yes he can beat it.. But telegraphing intent is never good. Blocking is what puts points on the board. Everything matters.

Last edited:
Our last 4 games, the team functioned as a more cohesive unit. It wasn't just the Line. Jarveon Howard carried the freaking pile.(AWESOME) Welch made them respect his run. TD made them respect his pass.

Yes. Servais is as true a Tackle you will come by(imo). Berg filled in well for Alexander. Alexander was a public scapegoat.(not a team one) (why they were pissed he quit) To Berg's credit he didnt give up more pressures than Alexander. ( I always focus my attention on the line, including NFL. I watch every line play, many times) Blitz's were designed- that didnt need to respect the run- to confuse the G/T, or G/C responsibility and hand offs. Other areas improving, also helped the line, to not deal with blitz after blitz. To Cavs credit, they eventually improved their pick ups.

When talking about receivers, I still think it's about the whole cohesive unit. The Patriots didnt pick up Riley because he had 36 catches, last year. It's because of how he operated in a cohesive whole, the year before. Everything matters. Why I'm not worried with this years WR stable.

Hackett is our legit Tight end. He hasnt even been mentioned... smh. I'm adding only because the Benson (TE) talk. He can block. He's our Tight end. Good for 23 receptions last year. What the HECK are you watching? lol... Blocking is important. We talk about Benson because the kid has afterburners. Cool. But I want a TE that can block. Situationally? yeah. Benson. (love the kid) Hackett is my TE.

I don't see anyone surpassing Hackett, for traditional TE duty. Mahar shows great promise, but I dunno if he picks up the blocking scheme. If he? or the German do? Hackett already has it with a frame to deliver. 245 +...I can see him topping 40 Rec this year, WHILE blocking. I could see Benson sliding a little off the line for some burner yards.(as he improves his frame and to not give away it's going to him when replacing a traditional TE) Maybe our German or Mahar in TD situations. (length) Hackett continues to earn that spot. Dropping Benson here signals intent. yes he can beat it.. But telegraphing intent is never good. Blocking is what puts points on the board. Everything matters.
I expect Hackett to have a good year.He's a true TE. I was just referencing Benson as more of a big WR type. He needs to gain weight and strength before he can help us as a blocking TE.

I expect Hackett to have a good year.He's a true TE. I was just referencing Benson as more of a big WR type. He needs to gain weight and strength before he can help us as a blocking TE.
Absolutely on both counts. Bensons speed is definitely an asset from that position. I could see him lining up in the slot/outside, too. From the TE position, (I'm not counting our FB) We have a well rounded TE, a speed threat, and two new length players... (nice)

Bensons 8 catches, for a 22 yard average, is definitely something to be excited about. I just think most of Rec from that position will be Hackett. ;-)

Absolutely on both counts. Bensons speed is definitely an asset from that position. I could see him lining up in the slot/outside, too. From the TE position, (I'm not counting our FB) We have a well rounded TE, a speed threat, and two new length players... (nice)

Bensons 8 catches, for a 22 yard average, is definitely something to be excited about. I just think most of Rec from that position will be Hackett. ;-)
Yessir. Sounds good to me.

I expect far more TE use in the offense. When ravian was playing well that offense had another gear to it in the play calling. Benson and Hackett could be like Ertz and Goeddert for eagles. Killers and opens up the play book immensely

I expect far more TE use in the offense. When ravian was playing well that offense had another gear to it in the play calling. Benson and Hackett could be like Ertz and Goeddert for eagles. Killers and opens up the play book immensely
With Neal(7), and Trishton(11)gone, Hackett is our returning scoring leader, with 6 TDs. Benson with 3... Tommy threw for 19. 9 TDs from the TE position(Welch for 2 of those).

Of the 23 overall passing touchdowns, Trishton accounted for 11 of them. All but 3 others went to the TE position. I have no question that Taj, or others, can pick up where Trishton left off. I also think production from the TE position, can be built on from last year, and is primed for a successful year.

Ed Hendrix. This guy is special. If he’s healthy look out
Honestly, what is this based on? He’s just a name that hasn’t been able to stay on the field.

Don’t know why I’m awake at 4 am but ...
Since he’s gone I’m going to comment on him . Riley’s issues were mental you have to be able to make reads once the ball is snapped in this offense for example...pre snap reads don’t matter much as defenses try to trick pre snap on just about every play
So when the Qb reads the D post snap and is expecting the wr to make the correct and he doesn’t the Qb then for a split second is like what the heck in his head and then needs to go to plan b and with the line play who had time for plan B ? Sean had some success the previous year mostly on extended plays from EDs playmaker ability. Nykiem did have a nagging injury and was rolling in our short spring I look to him to have a very good year . Tristian was the smartest wr on the team that’s a big reason he and his talent caught so many balls . And finally based solely on his size I’m hoping s player like Alford can step up , we need his size . If the summer /fall camp go off on schedule incoming freshmen have a better chance of learning as they all are “early enrollees “ with the 2 extra OTA style July walk throughs . I know I said finally ( I lied ) Hendrix’s was healthy in spring could emerge . Jordan needs to line up all over the field he is our needed play maker for sure . Your Qb weiighed in at 223 yesterday might get skid to TE lol . I’m watching bad news bears right now talk about racist content! Ahhh the days yuu coukd laugh at each... other great movie .

RTB and Queeley seem to be enigmas. Anyone have a real beat on them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom