2020 PGA Tour... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2020 PGA Tour...

If the course plays too hard and the pace is slow getting all the rounds finished in daylight is going to be a challenge.
Yeah. It’s already brutally slow. Doesn’t help when Jordan’s ball stays in the crotch of the tree and he has to go back to re-tee

I’m going with Patrick Reed.
Reed with a Hole in One. Getting roasted on twitter: Reed is used to playing in front of no fans. And, what if Reed hosts an open bar and no one shows up.
I'm actually surprised how well done guys are playing. The amateur with 3 straight birdies. Very impressive.

Last edited:
And Reed with the hole in one.

Reed with a Hole in One. Getting roasted on twitter: Reed is used to playing in front of no fans. And, what if Reed hosts an open bar and no one shows up. I'm actually surprised how well done guys are playing. The amateur with 3 straight birdies. Very impressive.

beat my by seconds. Why is he getting killed on twitter?

beat my by seconds. Why is he getting killed on twitter?
Because he's not popular with many people. Personally I like him. Of course I share a birthday with him and Patrick Ewing.
Here is another twitter example: Gonna be a cheap bar tab when Patrick Reed buys all of his friends drinks after that hole in one. #USOpen

Last edited:
If the course plays too hard and the pace is slow getting all the rounds finished in daylight is going to be a challenge.

With the field at 144 instead of Normal 156 it cuts about 34 minutes based on 5 hour rounds

I'm actually surprised how well done guys are playing. The amateur with 3 straight birdies. Very impressive.
Davis Thompson, the amateur, now -4 thru 11. He's playing great. Perfect example of how no crowds could help someone. Plus he is playing with two former UGA players which is where he goes to school.

Davis Thompson, the amateur, now -4 thru 11. He's playing great. Perfect example of how no crowds could help someone. Plus he is playing with two former UGA players which is where he goes to school.

That's certainly a factor -- no crowds and a nice group.

But the US Open (and British) has some history of amateurs hanging around at the top of the leaderboard for some time. I remember Beau Hossler having the lead towards the end of the first day at the US Open some years back, when he was still a senior in high school. Nick Taylor was in one of the final groups back in 2009 or 2010 day 4. (the one at Bethpage)

The conditions are right for them this year.

But the US Open (and British) has some history of amateurs hanging around at the top of the leaderboard for some time. I remember Beau Hossler having the lead towards the end of the first day at the US Open some years back, when he was still a senior in high school. Nick Taylor was in one of the final groups back in 2009 or 2010 day 4. (the one at Bethpage)

I think a lot of folks will be surprised if the conditions yield similar scores this afternoon.

I think a lot of folks will be surprised if the conditions yield similar scores this afternoon.

I was referring to the conditions being right for amateurs to do better.
Agreed, that the scores should be higher in the afternoon. Typically it is always a bit harder in the second session.

Those last 2 holes might cost Tiger with tomorrow’s cut line.

He will still be on the right side of the cut line at the end of today -- most likely.
Not that anybody at +3 is in great shape, but you did not play bad enough to be out of the tourney either.

At the end of today I will note the guys at +3, and you will some still get back in top 10 by end of week.

He will still be on the right side of the cut line at the end of today -- most likely.
Not that anybody at +3 is in great shape, but you did not play bad enough to be out of the tourney either.

At the end of today I will note the guys at +3, and you will some still get back in top 10 by end of week.
He needs to leave his driver in the clubhouse. Dreadful off the tee. Could be worse - could be Morikawa.

Justin Rose finished 4th in the 1998? Open as an 18? year old amateur - I think he may have pitched in on the 72nd hole.

Ken Venturi, as an amateur, lost the 1956 Masters by 1 stroke while shooting an 80 in winds up to 50 mph.

Last edited:
They keep talking about how bad the rough is, but Reed just hit some sort of utility club 200 yds to the green out of the rough where the ball had settled down - it can't be that bad. Same deal as the PGA at Harding.

BTW, Tiger not looking good despite the birdie streak.

My boy McIlroy is looking good - he is overdue.

Dustin Johnson at 7-1 is a terrible bet. Better than last year's 100-1 odds for Tiger to win the slam on which someone apparently threw away $100,000. Makes spending $2,000 for a share of Tesla seem like a good 'investment'

Nice job putting Dustin, DeChambeau, and Finau in the same group - looking forward to watching that.

Very happy that Mike Davis no longer oversees the setup of the US Opens - he was bad and really botched several of them.

Last edited:
Thomas Pieters is my longshot pick. My mid long shot pick is Matsuyama and my top tier pick is Rahm. I see more "experts" picking him over DJ.

This tournament makes me sad. Winged Foot is the closest major to my house at just over 2 hours and it brings back great memories. In 1997 I was able to follow Tiger around for a while and he had a huge crowd then. I also followed Jack around for a while. That was something that was special. I also had a special moment standing on the backside of the practice green standing less than ten feet from Ernie Els for about 20 minutes as the only one watching him in his practice putting routine. I felt I was getting a personal lesson. It was wild being so close being able to watch him for so long.

In 2006 I went to the Saturday round. Of course Tiger had missed the cut so it had a different feel to it. I spent like an hour or so in the stands at 18 watching player after player shoot par or bogie or even double bogie like Phil and Colin Montgomerie did on Sunday. No one was shooting birdies, just like this week should bring. When I first got onto the grounds and walked the course, I felt the rough wasn't so bad. However watching them all day, especially on 18, you realize the difference between a US Open course and even how the set up was for the PGA in 97. The prevailing thought is that the winning score this week will be over par. That's insane when you think how good these guys are.

This is one of those events that gets you pissed at the pandemic and the politics surrounding it. Hopefully by basketball season we will see some light shining through.
My Thomas Pieters pick looking good though day one. Nice day by JT. Had to kill Tiger playing in the same threesome. Tomorrow should be fun.

Zinger says hole locations were easy today and probably tomorrow because usga is afraid of the dark literally. Better post a score tomorrow, the weekend the course will win.

Morikawa and Berger who had great seasons since restart and contended at the pga, are pretty much done for the week at 6 over.

It did in 2006, as he missed the cut, even though he played extremely well that year. Although it seems highly possible he was coming back from an injury as he had not played in 10 weeks after the Masters according to his results. Don't remember.

He must have been pissed after missing that cut, because he had epic run in his next 10 tournaments - 6 wins, 9 top 2 finishes, and all top 10's. And two of those wins were majors, and two others were WGC's. He was probably in his second best period of his career at that point (his best being the year between 1999 PGA and 2000 PGA)

View attachment 188007

That US Open was his first tournament after Earl died

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom