2020 Transfer Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

For what its worth, and its been a while, but in its history SU has had some pretty good luck with players who only have one year of eligibility. Both Kevin Dougherty (2004) and Scott Kahoe (2009) won National Championships with 'Cuse, and Nathan Kenney and Joe Yevoli were productive for a good 'Cuse team in 2006. Of course the most recent grad transfer was Nick Prioli and that didn't work out very well, mostly because he was hurt most of the year. But I don't feel like a lot of schools have much experience with taking on "one and done" players, so at the very least it's nice Syracuse does.

Talking about one and dones, we got five graduating seniors who have expressed a desire to return and are known commodities on the field and in locker room.. Not sure what delays but believe as grads there are no restrictions to their movement anywhere including teams in ACC. If they were in portal, we'd be talking about going after Trimboli, Dearth and Porter . Certainly go after a Sowers and such caliber but hope to hear about some close outs on a few of our own.

Holden is a nice player but its hard to see SU bringing in anyone at attack via transfer unless they are a Teat/Sower type player. Clearly SU is interested in Sowers as he is program changer regardless of where he ends up but beyond that SU doesn't have much room at the Inn. You have Cook and Scanlan as R-Soph and then even if Rehfuss doesn't come back you have a guy in Hiltz who the staff is extremely extremely high on and I have heard has the potential to be the best attack recruit since Mikey. Third as you noted Birstwistle is coming in plus 2 other attack recruits including Farris who is way underrated not to mention the attack guys who are returning. Now if a young attackmen who the staff really likes is available I could maybe see them offering but it would have to be a guy they really really like. It's a bit ironic in that any other year in say the last 3-4 SU could be looking at taking in multiple attackmen from the portal especially with all the potential big names.

However, with the additional of Scanlan and Hiltz being flipped last fall that need has dropped signficiantly. Hiltz has been described as a guy who can be a day starter, the last thing you want if your SU is him not getting on the field for a Sr transfer (save for Sowers/Teat) and wondering what could have been if he blows up or god forbid you get a Wisnaukas situation on your hands. I do agree that Cook has to show more, I think he deferres a bit to much but its understandable when he's playing with Scanlan, a 5th year Sr in Rehfuss and the best midline in the country and maybe ever at SU. Still your right, we need to see a little more and I love Cook as a player.
good points all. I saw Holden play last year at what seemed like a middie's position. He is capable of dodging from anywhere on the field, shooting from some distance, and passing from outside in, so in this chaotic athletic year, I would not discount using him as a middie. What seems like a loaded position could turn with the unexpected departure of underclass mids or second line mids. Maybe stocking up is a necessary alternative. My guess is the roster will look far different than it does now next spring. The virus will not suddenly disappear like commentators assume.

good points all. I saw Holden play last year at what seemed like a middie's position. He is capable of dodging from anywhere on the field, shooting from some distance, and passing from outside in, so in this chaotic athletic year, I would not discount using him as a middie. What seems like a loaded position could turn with the unexpected departure of underclass mids or second line mids. Maybe stocking up is a necessary alternative. My guess is the roster will look far different than it does now next spring. The virus will not suddenly disappear like commentators assume.
While I think Holden is a nice player, the last thing that we need is another middie. Curry and Dord are back. Lipka back. Buttermore is back. Magnan and Fiorini waiting in the wings. Kim's potentially waiting in the wings. Quinn is back. There is too many guys at the inn, not sure there is room.

Judging by social media, it looks like UNC is also making a hard push for Sowers. I have no clue what his major is or what he wants to go to grad school for (I think someone mentioned it was broadcasting) but wouldn’t Syracuse make the most sense then? In that interview with Lax Magazine, the things he said he is looking for in the next school he chooses is academics. No other school has had as much success as Newhouse has. #1 in the nation, quite possibly the world— Why not take advantage of all of the connections Newhouse has so that you leave with the best job possible? Newhouse certainly has a better grad program than UNC, Duke, PSU, etc. that’s for sure.

In 2018, Noah Eagle (Ian Eagle’s son) landed a job immediately after graduating from Newhouse calling play by play with the LA Clippers. Also, Drew Carter, who graduated last year won the 2019 Jim Nantz Award— which is given to the best collegiate radio and tv sports broadcaster from across the country. That’s not even to mention all of the other Newhouse successes, such as: Bob Costas, Mike Tirico, Beth Mowins, Anish, P Carc, and the list could go on and on. The broadcasting world is littered with Syracuse Alum.

In addition to the best school for his specific major— he mentions that he wants to win a national championship. If he joins our squad we would easily be ranked #1 again next year and have a serious shot at winning a title. On paper, our offense would be the most potent it has ever been in quite some time. The only thing that would need to be worked on is chemistry. Plus there are some questions about the defense. Who replaces Mellen? I guess that would all depend on who, if any, leaves. Or if we snag someone from the portal.

He also mentioned that he’s looking for a program that has a good group of guys in the locker room. That also checks off another one of his boxes as the culture the guys have built is unreal and all of the guys on the team are best friends.

I have no idea when he plans on making his decision, or if he’s waiting to make his decision until after he visits campuses or something. But I said the same thing about Scanlan, and I’ll say it again about Sowers. I just hope he makes the right decision. And the only right decision is Syracuse lol. Judging by the criteria he listed off, we make the most sense.

Judging by social media, it looks like UNC is also making a hard push for Sowers. I have no clue what his major is or what he wants to go to grad school for (I think someone mentioned it was broadcasting) but wouldn’t Syracuse make the most sense then? In that interview with Lax Magazine, the things he said he is looking for in the next school he chooses is academics. No other school has had as much success as Newhouse has. #1 in the nation, quite possibly the world— Why not take advantage of all of the connections Newhouse has so that you leave with the best job possible? Newhouse certainly has a better grad program than UNC, Duke, PSU, etc. that’s for sure.

In 2018, Noah Eagle (Ian Eagle’s son) landed a job immediately after graduating from Newhouse calling play by play with the LA Clippers. Also, Drew Carter, who graduated last year won the 2019 Jim Nantz Award— which is given to the best collegiate radio and tv sports broadcaster from across the country. That’s not even to mention all of the other Newhouse successes, such as: Bob Costas, Mike Tirico, Beth Mowins, Anish, P Carc, and the list could go on and on. The broadcasting world is littered with Syracuse Alum.

In addition to the best school for his specific major— he mentions that he wants to win a national championship. If he joins our squad we would easily be ranked #1 again next year and have a serious shot at winning a title. On paper, our offense would be the most potent it has ever been in quite some time. The only thing that would need to be worked on is chemistry. Plus there are some questions about the defense. Who replaces Mellen? I guess that would all depend on who, if any, leaves. Or if we snag someone from the portal.

He also mentioned that he’s looking for a program that has a good group of guys in the locker room. That also checks off another one of his boxes as the culture the guys have built is unreal and all of the guys on the team are best friends.

I have no idea when he plans on making his decision, or if he’s waiting to make his decision until after he visits campuses or something. But I said the same thing about Scanlan, and I’ll say it again about Sowers. I just hope he makes the right decision. And the only right decision is Syracuse lol. Judging by the criteria he listed off, we make the most sense.

UNC to me doesn't make a lot of sense with Gray there. Both are alpha attackmen who want the ball in their sticks and want to initiate. Both can play off ball but its hard to see both playing on the same team. PSU may be hard to beat here, and Duke is always a concern though with Brennan coming in and that jumble they have already at attack not sure their a great fit either.

Hear ya but he'll land at a good program. He can be a beast, recall how he torched us two years ago. Has had several big games agaisnt top tier teams over the years so talent is there.

You knew that was coming, he needs a change of scenery anyway. One really good year followed by three no so great years.
still that timing is no coincidence right? Seems like a statement

UNC to me doesn't make a lot of sense with Gray there. Both are alpha attackmen who want the ball in their sticks and want to initiate. Both can play off ball but its hard to see both playing on the same team. PSU may be hard to beat here, and Duke is always a concern though with Brennan coming in and that jumble they have already at attack not sure their a great fit either.
I agree 100%. UNC was playing well this year, but they had yet to be tested so who’s to say they couldn’t have went downhill as soon as ACC play hit? Also, doesn’t make sense for the simple fact they don’t exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to the NCAA tourney (minus that miracle year in 2016). Yes, at PSU he would fit into Ament’s spot, but their grad program doesn’t compare to Syracuse’s. Also, I looked on Duke’s website and I’m not sure that they even have a grad program for journalism/broadcasting. An undergraduate degree from one of the top schools in the nation with a graduate degree at the #1 grad program for his major? (Syracuse) Sounds like it has a ring to it, idk lmao :p

still that timing is no coincidence right? Seems like a statement

Agreed, he was probably on the fence and this just pushed him over. Could see him at Georgetown or Nova or a similar school. Don't see him at a top D1 school with only one year left but I could be wrong.

Wish Sowers could tour a renovated Dome today and look up at the billboard highlighting him then imagining 4-5 k fans in stands surrounded by talented teammates. Place is gonna be more impressive than ever and be hopping even more if he came.

Hear ya but he'll land at a good program. He can be a beast, recall how he torched us two years ago. Has had several big games agaisnt top tier teams over the years so talent is there.

He will definitely find a landing spot but he's to inconsistent for the talent he possesses. He really struggled against any sort of decent defense, he went off against the Mount and a god awful Towson team.

Ya, a quarter of their team has to be transfers at this point or at least feels that way. Nothing wrong with hitting the transfer portal as most school due it including SU but it seems like Maryland has incorporated as an essential part of their team.

Maryland picked up a large number (5) of transfers last summer: Brandau, Ubriaco, Grill, Trucksess, and Higgins.
I believe that Logan Wisnauskas and Alex Smith are the only other transfers on the roster.

Grill was a senior this spring, so whether he is returning for an extra year is unknown.

Where did you see that he wanted to go into Broadcasting? According to the below tweet, it sounds like he is more interested in Wall Street. I don't understand his anti-Newhouse argument (does being a history major prepare you for high finance?). Obviously if he is interested in Broadcasting, Newhouse would be a really good match, but first we have to get our inputs right.

Missed the imbedded tweet from Ty (things are happening fast and furious), but Bertrand is a Syracuse native (Baldwinsville) and has good size at 6'3, 220. I know Merrimack doesn't get a lot of attention but he could be a very intriguing option.

Missed the imbedded tweet from Ty (things are happening fast and furious), but Bertrand is a Syracuse native (Baldwinsville) and has good size at 6'3, 220. I know Merrimack doesn't get a lot of attention but he could be a very intriguing option.

Bertrand is an interesting player, in most years I think SU would be all over him but with the current roster I don't know if SU feels it has the room or the ability to offer what he would want playing time wise. I will say this, if I was Bertrand I would let Sowers and other "known" names make a decision first and then watch his stock skyrocket. I could see SU going after him if Sowers goes elsewhere. I think Albany might be a good spot for him as well.

Where did you see that he wanted to go into Broadcasting? According to the below tweet, it sounds like he is more interested in Wall Street. I don't understand his anti-Newhouse argument (does being a history major prepare you for high finance?). Obviously if he is interested in Broadcasting, Newhouse would be a really good match, but first we have to get our inputs right.

I read it over on that college lacrosse discussion Facebook page. I guess people are going off of that article syracuse.com had written where it said he could transfer in and go to Newhouse or something.

Hope I’m wrong

Hearing Sowers is down to Duke, UNC and Maryland and we are out - hope the source is wrong ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom