2020 Transfer Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

My heart is palpitating since reading that tweet

Imagine that union in a newly renovated Dome with large crowds cheering on

Need a valium to relax

My ideal 2021 attack situation would be Sowers QBing from behind feeding a righty Scanlan & lefty Hiltz forming one of the best college attack units in recent memory. Cook puts “we before me” & accepts being 4th attack for a year. Love the idea of Cook getting a year of “on-the-job” training in this system from Sowers & March.

The following year, Cook joins Hiltz & Scanlan for potentially 2 years together as a trio. Hiltz has such a big lefty shot that I envision Cook playing the QB roll in this trio. Again, Cook spending a year under Sowers watching EXACTLY how March wants this offense QB’d could be huge for his development & I get the sense he’s got the character to "buy in" & take a lesser role next year.

I love Rehfuss’ passion (still get chills thinking of him & Curry pouring their hearts out at the presser following last year’s Loyola loss) & everything he’s done on the field but, IMHO, Hiltz (& obviously Sowers) are both immediate upgrades over him.

If we could somehow swing adding Sowers & keeping Trimboli, Porter, & Dearth (in that order & with Varello being 4th in terms of importance), you’d be talking about the most talented SU team in over 20 years, & one of the most talented in program history.

Last edited:
Also, a question regarding 5th years & money. If it’s true that SU/the player has to come up with the money, would it be an option for any of “The 4” who may not be interested in grad school to withdraw & then re-enroll for the Spring semester to require only half the tuition costs instead of a full year? If they’ve already graduated this year, couldn’t they just take the minimum credits required to play? Didn’t both Mike Powell & Randy Staats spend fall semesters at community colleges before re-enrolling? Just throwing out some possibilities.

Last edited:
Based on what he recently said, the three most realistic options for a transfer are PSU, Duke, and Syracuse. Even with him, I don't think PSU is a championship calibre team IMO, and the Cornell and Yale games were not as close as the scores indicated. Duke eliminates his parents' ability to see him play with any regularity (or at least ease). Syracuse is no farther/further than PSU really, and with him would start the season as a top 3 team at worst. All but two games would be played less than a four hour drive from his hometown. Tuition could be a problem though. Both his parents are teachers so they probably fall in that layer where although you don't make a lot of money, you also don't qualify for a lot of financial aid.

I know I need to pump the brakes on this (way too early in the process), but Scanlan could score 80 goals with Sowers feeding him. Just sayin'

You are right though we should all pump the brakes a bit because this far from a done deal and this isn't guaranteed to happen. However, the person reporting it seems legit and there's definitely smoke here

Im sure Hiltz will be good but Refhuss is proven goods. I wish him back as I do others.

Sowers would love this group on and off field.

Where there is a will, there is a way .
Fair point, though I’m still of the opinion that Hiltz is the more talented player based off his stats/pedigree/accolades/minimal film. If I’m not mistaken, when Seebold was brought in at attack to “spark” the offense at times this year, didn’t he most-often replaced Rehfuss?

Also, if Sowers comes, he’s our QB & operating exclusively from behind the net, as he’s one of the best in NCAA history to do it. Does Rehfuss have the skillset to slide into the role of lefty wing/shooter attack?

Rehfuss has the experience & deserves a chance to cap his career, if he indeed wants a 6th year to juggle Law School & Lax, but I just consider Hiltz to be not only the better player but, potentially, the better fit. Also, I know he’s signed his LOI but, if Sowers were to come, I’m not sure I see Hiltz coming in to be 4th attack, even for 1 year.

Dear Mr. Sowers:

I strongly urge you to make the best decision of your entire life by transferring to Syracuse University. Not only will you have a VERY good shot at winning a national championship-- but you will be playing in arguably the best conference, in the best venue, in front of the largest crowds. And make no mistake about it when I tell you 'Cuse love is just different...we have the best fans in the entire country by a long shot. Come join and help us get this historic program back to where we need to be-- Memorial Day weekend, winning our 12th (should be 13th) championship!

P.S. - And bring TD with you, too. ;)

Sincerely,
Orange Nation

Dear Mr. Sowers:

I strongly urge you to make the best decision of your entire life by transferring to Syracuse University. Not only will you have a VERY good shot at winning a national championship-- but you will be playing in arguably the best conference, in the best venue, in front of the largest crowds. And make no mistake about it when I tell you 'Cuse love is just different...we have the best fans in the entire country by a long shot. Come join and help us get this historic program back to where we need to be-- Memorial Day weekend, winning our 12th (should be 13th) championship!

P.S. - And bring TD with you, too. ;)

Sincerely,
Orange Nation

Feel free to accidentally tweet that to him

This would be huge and very welcomed news. Obviously I think there are a lot of really strong things in Syracuse’s favor, strong grad programs, a really good team with players who would fit his skill set really well, and of course his old OC in March. I hope it works out.

Will just point out that at the beginning of the Scanlan recruitment Syracuse was at the bottom of the pecking order but by the end of it he ended up in Orange. Hopefully the opposite doesn’t happen here, but in that Lacrosse Magazine article Sowers did say he was feeling all over the place and that was just yesterday. Anyways I just feel the the need to point this stuff out. Again SU makes a lot of sense, and I hope he chooses Syracuse. Go Orange!

W'Boro. My recall is Seebold's minutes were very limited and mostly came when games were decided so no...He's capable , got early runs in JHU game on second line to get him on field, can envision him playing there next year if attack manned... Refhuss strength is his vision and passing off probes moreso than dodges but have seen him off ball in offseason and he's capable of capitalizing off a great dodger such as Sowers while also returning favor. Experience of a productive 6th yr vet cant be undervalued. . A talented frosh is still a frosh and many have growing pains especially on offensive side. If Sowers were ever to arrive at our shores , all boats be lifted so this be lesser but I like having all boats in the boatyard to choose from, thus hoping Refhus returns.

You are right though we should all pump the brakes a bit because this far from a done deal and this isn't guaranteed to happen. However, the person reporting it seems legit and there's definitely smoke here
We never pump brakes to rumors.

We go 120 mph off into the Orange sunset or we crash into an Orange Flameball of pity.

W'Boro. My recall is Seebold's minutes were very limited and mostly came when games were decided so no...He's capable , got early runs in JHU game on second line to get him on field, can envision him playing there next year if attack manned... Refhuss strength is his vision and passing off probes moreso than dodges but have seen him off ball in offseason and he's capable of capitalizing off a great dodger such as Sowers while also returning favor. Experience of a productive 6th yr vet cant be undervalued. . A talented frosh is still a frosh and many have growing pains especially on offensive side. If Sowers were ever to arrive at our shores , all boats be lifted so this be lesser but I like having all boats in the boatyard to choose from, thus hoping Refhus returns.
I could be mistaken but I recall Seebold getting runs at attack, replacing Rehfuss, in both the Army & Hobart games when the offense stalled & the games were still well in contention. The way I see it, righty Scanlan & lefty Hiltz is a lethal combination. Whether it's Sowers, Rehfuss, or Cook QBing from behind, I think we're in good shape.

Let's, for a second, assume Sowers doesn't come. In that scenario, where would you rate the 5 potential returning seniors in order of value to team success? I'd rate them as follows:

1 (most value)- Porter
2- Trimboli (this was really tough to even type but we just have so much depth a middie)
3- Dearth
4- Rehfuss
5- Varello

Last edited:
I could be mistaken but I recall Seebold getting runs at attack, replacing Rehfuss, in both the Army & Hobart games when the offense stalled & the games were still well in contention. The way I see it, righty Scanlan & lefty Hiltz is a lethal combination. Whether it's Sowers, Rehfuss, or Cook QBing from behind, I think we're in good shape.

Let's, for a second, assume Sowers doesn't come. In that scenario, where would you rate the 5 potential returning seniors in order of value to team success? I'd rate them as follows:

1 (most value)- Porter
2- Trimboli (this was really tough to even type but we just have so much depth a middie)
3- Dearth
4- Rehfuss
5- Varello

Seebold saw time on the second line against Hopkins (remember the disallowed goal? Aw fond memories), but yes until that time he was seeing time only at the end of games at attack. I think the staff was getting frustrated with Quinn and decided to bump Seebold up.

I did your ranking exercise a few weeks ago and came up with a very similar list, though I ranked Mellen in there as well. Having Porter, Trimboli and Dearth back would be huge. Hope it happens.

Attachments

• 32558DE7-57F6-48C2-8F62-8424E0D7C22F.jpeg
    32558DE7-57F6-48C2-8F62-8424E0D7C22F.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 143
Based on what he recently said, the three most realistic options for a transfer are PSU, Duke, and Syracuse. Even with him, I don't think PSU is a championship calibre team IMO, and the Cornell and Yale games were not as close as the scores indicated. Duke eliminates his parents' ability to see him play with any regularity (or at least ease). Syracuse is no farther/further than PSU really, and with him would start the season as a top 3 team at worst. All but two games would be played less than a four hour drive from his hometown. Tuition could be a problem though. Both his parents are teachers so they probably fall in that layer where although you don't make a lot of money, you also don't qualify for a lot of financial aid.

I like your points, but wouldn’t a smart move be to offer an athletic scholarship to a guy who arguably is the best player in D-1? (I realize Sowers’ scholarship would have to be one of the 12.5).

I like your points, but wouldn’t a smart move be to offer an athletic scholarship to a guy who arguably is the best player in D-1? (I realize Sowers’ scholarship would have to be one of the 12.5).

Absolutely. I just don't know where the scholly would come from? I assume the 12.6 has already been divided up, unless Fernandez leaving frees up a bit more. I assume Newhouse offers some one year programs. I suspect that is what would be appealing to Sowers, who I believe was a history major. A lot of these transfers who only get a year will be discouraged from enrolling in multi-year grad programs they don't otherwise need, particularly since they are going to be paying a substantial amount to attend. It's not worth it just for another year of lax.

Absolutely. I just don't know where the scholly would come from? I assume the 12.6 has already been divided up, unless Fernandez leaving frees up a bit more. I assume Newhouse offers some one year programs. I suspect that is what would be appealing to Sowers, who I believe was a history major. A lot of these transfers who only get a year will be discouraged from enrolling in multi-year grad programs they don't otherwise need, particularly since they are going to be paying a substantial amount to attend. It's not worth it just for another year of lax.

Fernandez leaving frees up $$ and there will be more transfers freeing up additional funds

Guy seems to backtrack a bit from his tweet yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom