2021-22 NHL Season Thread | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 NHL Season Thread

Eichel stripped of his C and placed on LTIR for his failed physical. As expected his neck did not magically heal without the fusion surgery or Jack's preferred procedure. Time to ship him to Western Canada for whatever you can get within reason. The Sabres must trade him before July 1st 2022 or his very limited no trade clause kicks in and he has more control then. I'm sure he would be thrilled to be playing in Winipeg or Calgary in the winter.

Eichel stripped of his C and placed on LTIR for his failed physical. As expected his neck did not magically heal without the fusion surgery or Jack's preferred procedure. Time to ship him to Western Canada for whatever you can get within reason. The Sabres must trade him before July 1st 2022 or his very limited no trade clause kicks in and he has more control then. I'm sure he would be thrilled to be playing in Winipeg or Calgary in the winter.

Unfortunately I think Buffalo wanted too much for Eichel.

He is a huge risk physically (and perhaps attitude wise) given his large contract. His top side performance warrants that contract, but the downside is significant, and when you have a large contract that will diminish your value.

I think Buffalo took a reasonable gamble of trying to wait it out to perhaps raise value a bit / get him in medical order / find desperate teams but it just did not work.

Now what is the proper trade? Not sure. The only thing I am sure is that Buffalo fans will be disappointed. It sucks to lose a franchise player for $0.50 or less of that player's "peak" value.

I'm fascinated by this predicament and don't see how the Sabres can end up with anything approaching a reasonable return for Capt. Jack.

If I understand the situation...

First domino to fall would be any trading partner must agree to allow Jack to have the disc surgery he wants (not the approach the Sabres approved).

Then they'd have to meet Sabres expectations for assets in return.

So a team would have to accept Eichel pre-surgery, allow him to undergo his preferred procedure, rehab post-op before he gets on their ice.

And part with existing talent/maybe a prospect or two and/or draft picks. Seems like a tall order for Kevyn Adams. He would be GM of the Year if he pulls that off IMO.

I'll be glad if they send Crack Eichel to Western CA for a bag of pucks on June 30, 2022. Smell ya later, 9.

From what I just read I hope the Rangers do not acquire Jack E.

It's similar to the Kawhi Leonard situation when he moved from the Spurs to the Raptors -- with one big exception. While Kawhi was an injury risk, the Raptors believed that Kawhi would be ready to go after they acquired him. Now a team trades from Eichel and he still has to sit out for a while apparently.

I suppose if he is out for a long time he would go onto LTIR, so if you are just giving up futures for Eichel it may not be that big a deal.

At this point I'm just hoping he goes to Anaheim for a package around Zegras or Drysdale or to the Kings for something with Byfield or Turcotte involved. Imagine the Rangers rumors with Lafreniere are highly unlikely.

At this point I'm just hoping he goes to Anaheim for a package around Zegras or Drysdale or to the Kings for something with Byfield or Turcotte involved. Imagine the Rangers rumors with Lafreniere are highly unlikely.
A package around Zegras from the Ducks or Byfield or Turcotte (more likely but still a pipe dream) from LA would have worked. Shoot I would take Zegras and 2nd for Eichel at this point as Zegras upside is very high and he is an absolute player. The Rags were never trading Lafreniere in an Eichel package. Much more likely they would move Kakko +. All these possible scenarios seem less likely now.

At this point, let him get his surgery, get healthy by December/play lights out/ship him out West at trade deadline. Might be time for the Sabres to try and partially mend the relationship in hopes of getting him healthy and playing so they can maximize their return.

Also did anyone else hear that there is no need for NHL Center Ice for all the out of market games this season for US based people? Buccigross tweeted that ESPN + (I believe $5.95 per a month or like $14.95 per month bundled with Disney + and Hulu) will be carrying all out of market games not on national tv. Apparently NHL TV (streaming NHL Center Ice) was purchased by ESPN+. Incredible if true as I'm tired of paying $149.99 every season.

Also did anyone else hear that there is no need for NHL Center Ice for all the out of market games this season for US based people? Buccigross tweeted that ESPN + (I believe $5.95 per a month or like $14.95 per month bundled with Disney + and Hulu) will be carrying all out of market games not on national tv. Apparently NHL TV (streaming NHL Center Ice) was purchased by ESPN+. Incredible if true as I'm tired of paying $149.99 every season.
I moved away 8 years ago and had bought the package every year and usually quit watching the Sabres by Christmas. Guess I can get angry for free this year.

depends on the value of center ice. if you want a viewable game in HD on directv with a game you can record its great.. if you want an ESPN quality feed its a great value. center ice is the best value of all the networks.. 10x better than NFL season ticket for the price.

Bruins and Eickel make sense but Buffalo want him in the same division.
Bruins have a nice G prospect and could get a deal done if Buffalo didn’t demand too much.

Bruins have a nice G prospect and could get a deal done if Buffalo didn’t demand too much.
There was talk of the Blues acquiring Eichel all summer, but I don’t see them giving up what’s required, especially if he’s injured.

Not going to happen for a couple reasons. 1st Boston is very low on higher end prospects (Buffalo doesnt need any more goalie prospects as we have 3 good ones now with one very high end in UKL). 2 They are not trading in our division unless blown away and Boston doesn't have Rangers/Ducks/Kings/etc level prospects.

To me the Bruins are at a bit of a crossroads as stars like Marchand and Bergeron (one of the most underrated 2way players in hockey), Rask, etc get older. Pasta is obviously younger and a stud. The Championship window is slowly closing there so they may have a fairly large rebuild in the future.

There was talk of the Blues acquiring Eichel all summer, but I don’t see them giving up what’s required, especially if he’s injured.
I'm sure the Blues would need to offload Tarasenko's contract in order for that to work and I just don't see him fitting on a team that is starting yet another rebuild from scratch.

Not going to happen for a couple reasons. 1st Boston is very low on higher end prospects (Buffalo doesnt need any more goalie prospects as we have 3 good ones now with one very high end in UKL). 2 They are not trading in our division unless blown away and Boston doesn't have Rangers/Ducks/Kings/etc level prospects.

To me the Bruins are at a bit of a crossroads as stars like Marchand and Bergeron (one of the most underrated 2way players in hockey), Rask, etc get older. Pasta is obviously younger and a stud. The Championship window is slowly closing there so they may have a fairly large rebuild in the future.
I would also add that I don’t see Kevyn Adams and the Pegulas “rewarding” Jack by trading him home.

Boston would have to make an offer far superior to anybody else and they haven’t proved to be that dumb of an organization.

Sabres are out of their depth. If I was a Eickels age I’d rather have the newer procedure he prefers . Who wants their neck fused in their 20s if there is an alternative ? It’s not experimental either.

Sabres are out of their depth. If I was a Eickels age I’d rather have the newer procedure he prefers . Who wants their neck fused in their 20s if there is an alternative ? It’s not experimental either.
I would consider it experimental until the procedure is performed on a NHL player. And yes I know it's been performed on some UFC fighters and a couple NFL players. That's an expensive asset to be the first NHL player to receive the procedure.

Ducks would be crazy to move Zegras but who knows.

If Buffalo doesn’t move Eickel before his nonmovement clause. He will decide where he goes.

If Buffalo doesn’t move Eickel before his nonmovement clause. He will decide where he goes.
Thats a year away. Not a concern.

Ducks would be crazy to move Zegras but who knows.
Ones a star and ones probably a star. Depends how much they value turning probably to definitely.

Once basketball starts I very rarely watch regular season hockey but I have the Pens vs TB on and I was a little surprised to see Zach Bogosian back with TB. Good for him and hopefully he can stay healthy and contribute. Hard to believe he's been in the league like ten or so years now (EDIT-actually it's his 14th season and he is still only 31).

Just attended my first golden knights game. Just an epic experience that I recommend to anyone.
They really know how to throw a party. I might need to put it on my bucket list. You ended up seeing a great game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom