2021 Fall Ball | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Fall Ball

Is there any word on what Griffin Cook's role has been this fall? Is he at attack or midfield? Last year he took a couple runs on faceoff wings and subsequently SSDM shifts.

I haven't heard anything - maybe someone who went to the inter-squad scrimmage can share where Cook played?

They really tried to find a place for Cook last year but nothing seemed to stick. His greatest attribute is his riding ability and I think that's why they tried him at d-middie, and on the face-off wings. But just because you are good at harassing and trying to cause a turnover doesn't mean you are a good defender. And it never really looked like he made a big different at the face-off x.

His best position is still probably at attack, I'm just not sure he's an ACC level attackman. He's just not fast or shifty enough to make up for his small size. Maybe they use him as a fourth attackman to give a guy a rest, but not many teams run more than three attackmen during a game. It also doesn't seem like he would be on the man-up unit since he doesn't have a heavy outside shot.

I haven't heard anything - maybe someone who went to the inter-squad scrimmage can share where Cook played?

They really tried to find a place for Cook last year but nothing seemed to stick. His greatest attribute is his riding ability and I think that's why they tried him at d-middie, and on the face-off wings. But just because you are good at harassing and trying to cause a turnover doesn't mean you are a good defender. And it never really looked like he made a big different at the face-off x.

His best position is still probably at attack, I'm just not sure he's an ACC level attackman. He's just not fast or shifty enough to make up for his small size. Maybe they use him as a fourth attackman to give a guy a rest, but not many teams run more than three attackmen during a game. It also doesn't seem like he would be on the man-up unit since he doesn't have a heavy outside shot.
Agree with you completely. Sometimes Syracuse is able to take a unique player and find a role for him to suceed. I'm thinking of Cal Paduda and Luke Schwasnick on the face off wings in 2016. Sometimes they get a unique athlete and can't quite find a place for him. I'm thinking of Nick Martin around the same time. It's a lot of fun to see when it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

Attack, unknown but problably fifth depth wise

Not a ton of detail from Ted, but he says that according to his sources SU beat OSU by 3-5 goals and that the offense looked good. Says he knows next to nothing about the Yale scrimmage.

Last edited:
This wait for news is killing me. Need somethingggggg

Really like Ted and his pods but in this instance listing Cuse n OSU yet having nothing was craptacular

Yeah, I think most of the info he was relaying came from this board, especially the bit about Dordevic playing attack.

Stop snooping Ted, go get your own scoops!!!

Jk snoop and scoop all you want just share what you learn with us dammit!

I find it hard to believe that he'd have reliable sources who knew the score of the OSU game, but not the Yale game.

Not that it matters a whole lot. These scores are essentially meaningless for a multitude of reasons. But I just found that odd. Did they play the Yale game in the dark?

Imagine if this happened when Desko was the coach?! This board would be lit up with everyone screaming...

There's always some unnecessary secrecy with Petro's teams in fall ball. Glad to see that some things don't change no matter what color uniform you put on.

DMV, I wasn't questioning that the Orange played Yale. I was questioning LaxFactor's source. Why would someone who was present that day know the margin of the Cuse-OSU scrimmage but not the Cuse-Yale one? It sounds like secondhand info at best.

There's always some unnecessary secrecy with Petro's teams in fall ball. Glad to see that some things don't change no matter what color uniform you put on.

DMV, I wasn't questioning that the Orange played Yale. I was questioning LaxFactor's source. Why would someone who was present that day know the margin of the Cuse-OSU scrimmage but not the Cuse-Yale one? It sounds like secondhand info at best.

Funny that you refer to it as Petro's team. I think with the social media posts and maybe because his high profile hiring was more recent, in a weird way he is kind of becoming the face of the team in some ways. Not a bad thing, with two such widely known personalities it's going to be really fascinating to see how Gait and Petro manage responsibilities throughout the season. They must have the only staff in the country that, when talked about, is almost always, "Gait and Petro".

No idea why things about this weekend's scrimmage is so secretive. I am surprised someone on this board hasn't been able to offer more concrete details, as it seems like some people are pretty close to the program. With a new staff, I can see wanting to keep things close to the vest in the fall, but I wish coaches would realize exposure is important for fans and followers of the sport.

Imagine if this happened when Desko was the coach?! This board would be lit up with everyone screaming...

Well in all fairness SU in the last 5+ years under Desko only played the occasional fall ball game and there wasn't a ton of information to come out of those either. In January you would get a little twitter coverage and usually a score but not much beyond that. I would prefer if they gave up some info on how these game went but I can understand in the first year with a new staff and a lot of holes to fill, that there not exactly opening things up to the world like Danowski.

Well in all fairness SU in the last 5+ years under Desko only played the occasional fall ball game and there wasn't a ton of information to come out of those either. In January you would get a little twitter coverage and usually a score but not much beyond that. I would prefer if they gave up some info on how these game went but I can understand in the first year with a new staff and a lot of holes to fill, that there not exactly opening things up to the world like Danowski.
I gave running commentary of the Binghamton scrimmages and the Denver scrimmage. You’re welcome.

I gave running commentary of the Binghamton scrimmages and the Denver scrimmage. You’re welcome.

Ah I remember that, good info in that Denver scrimmage. Unfortunately our D issues first became known that game as I believe we blew a big lead.

They actually have covered scrimmages more in-depth. They didn't treat scrimmages like a real game, but they have put out press releases with some detail like final score, who the goal scorers were and even a quick press conference with Desko. Here is the Denver game which was in the fall of 2019 -

and the Yale scrimmage that took place in early 2020 -

Disappointing they aren't at least providing this level of coverage. Hopefully it will change for the spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom