2021 PGA Tour | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2021 PGA Tour

one analyst said the same. They both did the right thing but it comes down to reputation. Which in reality is BS. The director even said he watched both on video and both did it per the rules.

I agree to a large extent, but can't fully agree.

I agree that many fans are making judgments without knowing the rules and when you can and cannot move the ball. The rules were 100% perfectly applied and followed in both situations based on what Reed and McIlroy reasonably believed or "claim" to happen.

The problem is in limited situations like yesterday, we are left with players being able to "claim" things to take advantage of the rules. And in those situations reputation will impact whether we fully buy those claims as truthful or not. Based on Reed's reputation, and his strange actions regarding the official, it make me question his claims. But it's possible everything that happened yesterday was fully above board. I just can't give it the 100% thumbs up.

Last edited:
Just a few thoughts that I felt like getting out here.

The depth of talent on the tour is impressive.

The big four: Dustin-Justin-Rahm-Rory

The next Tier: X, Reed, Cantlay, Hatton.

Bryson is in this group. Although he says some things that are a bit off, I like that Bryson is an iconoclast and he is a top ten golfer who is likely to win another major or more, but I don’t think he is going to drastically change how golf is played. An article in one of the golf magazines stated that Wolfe out drove Bryson in the 4th round at the Masters but can’t find confirmation of that.

The new guys who have won already: Viktor, Morikawa, Wolfe

A couple of top Koreans in Im and Kim who have won, and a top Japanese player in Hideki who has won

Then a ton of guys from Simpson to the likes of: Ancer, Scheffler, Kuchar, Kisner, Brendon Todd, Hughes, Fowler, Finau, Na, Champ, Harris, Reavie, Woodland

A handful of top Euros and ROW: Rose, Lowry, Scott, Fleetwood, Casey, Niemann, Leishman, Laird, Oosthuizen

And a bunch of dark horses that would not surprise if they won: Bezuidenhout, Fitzpatrick, Berger. And Redman, Kang, Pieters, Frittelli, Munoz, Wallace, Li.

I’m sure you guys could add quite a few more names.

On the flip side:

Tiger – probably washed up as a top player but you never know with ho boy. And ESPN, please take down the father/son/tiger stuff from your website – that was 7 week ago and 5 tournaments ago! Do people really care that much about Tiger?

Phil – he’s already been gone, it would be a Johnny Miller like miracle if that wet ATT 2 years ago was not his last hurrah

Koepka – I expected his major magic to end after 4, which it certainly did, the question is how good he will be when he is fully healthy again. Probable that he gets multiple more wins, but 50/50 that he gets another major

Jason Day – he had some good moments in 2020, but seems damaged, don’t see him in the top ten again

Spieth – possible of course, but I give him only a 50% chance of winning again and a 2% chance of winning a slam. Tough to stay on top when you rely on being the best at 25 foot putts.

Predictions for the season:

POY – Rahm
Vardon Trophy - Justin

Winners of the Players, the majors and the Fedex

One of the points of the above, is that it is very hard to win a major because there are a handful of great players and many very good players who can win if they get in the zone.

Given that, I’ll say that 3 of the 6 biggies are won by the big four. Dustin is due to cool down a little - could easily be a multiple winner but maybe not in the majors. I’d be surprised if Rahm doesn’t win one and Justin seems overdue. Would love to see Rory win the Masters or any of the others. He is still playing well but he seems the least likely at the moment.

It is useless to predict specific tournaments at this point, but I’ll do it anyways.

Players – Dustin
Masters – Rahm
PGA – Xander
US Open – Justin, what a great short game
Open – Fleetwood, can go low
Fedex - Hatton

One more thing. The 7-1 odds of Bryson winning the 2020 Masters was such a bad bet (not for the bookies or course but for the bettors). 15-1 would be a decent rule of thumb for the lowest odds in most cases. Just for reference, Tiger won approximately once every 4.5 majors during his heyday in 1996-2009, so 3-1 odds might have been good on him. Bryson winning his first major at age 27 is not in the same solar system as Tiger’s heyday. However, Dustin, who was playing at such a consistently high, tiger like, level at the time, is the one who should have gotten 7-1.

One other thing - I didn't see the event or look at the rules but am sure that Reed cheated.

Spieth is back, at least for one day.

missed two eagles by six inches, just hit a 35 ft bomb on 16

Can’t imagine someone not rooting for Jordan tomorrow. Perfect warmup for the super bowl. He should make the turn around 3:30. Hope he pulls it off.

Can’t imagine someone not rooting for Jordan tomorrow. Perfect warmup for the super bowl. He should make the turn around 3:30. Hope he pulls it off.
Part of my Super Sunday tradition. Phoenix Open 1st and then the game. Nice round for him yesterday. Good luck to him today.

Just a few thoughts that I felt like getting out here.

The depth of talent on the tour is impressive.

The big four: Dustin-Justin-Rahm-Rory

The next Tier: X, Reed, Cantlay, Hatton.

Bryson is in this group. Although he says some things that are a bit off, I like that Bryson is an iconoclast and he is a top ten golfer who is likely to win another major or more, but I don’t think he is going to drastically change how golf is played. An article in one of the golf magazines stated that Wolfe out drove Bryson in the 4th round at the Masters but can’t find confirmation of that.

The new guys who have won already: Viktor, Morikawa, Wolfe

A couple of top Koreans in Im and Kim who have won, and a top Japanese player in Hideki who has won

Then a ton of guys from Simpson to the likes of: Ancer, Scheffler, Kuchar, Kisner, Brendon Todd, Hughes, Fowler, Finau, Na, Champ, Harris, Reavie, Woodland

A handful of top Euros and ROW: Rose, Lowry, Scott, Fleetwood, Casey, Niemann, Leishman, Laird, Oosthuizen

And a bunch of dark horses that would not surprise if they won: Bezuidenhout, Fitzpatrick, Berger. And Redman, Kang, Pieters, Frittelli, Munoz, Wallace, Li.

I’m sure you guys could add quite a few more names.

On the flip side:

Tiger – probably washed up as a top player but you never know with ho boy. And ESPN, please take down the father/son/tiger stuff from your website – that was 7 week ago and 5 tournaments ago! Do people really care that much about Tiger?

Phil – he’s already been gone, it would be a Johnny Miller like miracle if that wet ATT 2 years ago was not his last hurrah

Koepka – I expected his major magic to end after 4, which it certainly did, the question is how good he will be when he is fully healthy again. Probable that he gets multiple more wins, but 50/50 that he gets another major

Jason Day – he had some good moments in 2020, but seems damaged, don’t see him in the top ten again

Spieth – possible of course, but I give him only a 50% chance of winning again and a 2% chance of winning a slam. Tough to stay on top when you rely on being the best at 25 foot putts.

Predictions for the season:

POY – Rahm
Vardon Trophy - Justin

Winners of the Players, the majors and the Fedex

One of the points of the above, is that it is very hard to win a major because there are a handful of great players and many very good players who can win if they get in the zone.

Given that, I’ll say that 3 of the 6 biggies are won by the big four. Dustin is due to cool down a little - could easily be a multiple winner but maybe not in the majors. I’d be surprised if Rahm doesn’t win one and Justin seems overdue. Would love to see Rory win the Masters or any of the others. He is still playing well but he seems the least likely at the moment.

It is useless to predict specific tournaments at this point, but I’ll do it anyways.

Players – Dustin
Masters – Rahm
PGA – Xander
US Open – Justin, what a great short game
Open – Fleetwood, can go low
Fedex - Hatton

One more thing. The 7-1 odds of Bryson winning the 2020 Masters was such a bad bet (not for the bookies or course but for the bettors). 15-1 would be a decent rule of thumb for the lowest odds in most cases. Just for reference, Tiger won approximately once every 4.5 majors during his heyday in 1996-2009, so 3-1 odds might have been good on him. Bryson winning his first major at age 27 is not in the same solar system as Tiger’s heyday. However, Dustin, who was playing at such a consistently high, tiger like, level at the time, is the one who should have gotten 7-1.

One other thing - I didn't see the event or look at the rules but am sure that Reed cheated.
I think Brooks gained a lot of confidence today. He could be back on track to win another major.

I think Brooks gained a lot of confidence today. He could be back on track to win another major.
Very nice win for Brooks, I thought it would take longer for him to get back to winning shape.

I didn't watch today, so I was afraid that Spieth had won and you were letting me hear about that.

Very nice win for Brooks, I thought it would take longer for him to get back to winning shape.

I didn't watch today, so I was afraid that Spieth had won and you were letting me hear about that.
Spieth had a nice tourney but his 37 on the front nine didn't help on Sunday. But overall not a bad 4 days for him.

This is a Bombers course where even the bad shots end up in good spots.. A no pressure course.. he played avg up until the last 6 holes Sat and then lights out.. Still he wouldnt have won had anyone on the top 6 done anything, combined they had like 3-4 birdies.

This is a Bombers course where even the bad shots end up in good spots.. A no pressure course.. he played avg up until the last 6 holes Sat and then lights out.. Still he wouldnt have won had anyone on the top 6 done anything, combined they had like 3-4 birdies.
The course roars it's head periodically. I've seen a lot of guys over the years put it in the water coming down the stretch on 17 or 18.

Spieth with 36 hole lead and playing well against a not so stellar field. Very good for the game of golf.