2021 Preseason Practice | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Preseason Practice

Anyone have any news on practices, who's doing well or more importantly how the D looks? Especially after seeing Duke, UNC & UVA play this weekend.

Lucas Quinn gets another shoutout, he must really be impressing Desko and staff. Also talks at length about Hiltz and says he’s seeing time and both attack and midfield, and it sounds like he’ll also get an opportunity at man up. Mentions that he’s a great shooter but also has really good vision, which is a combo you don’t see too often.

Intersquad scrimmage on Saturday per Desko.

No, it won't be streamed.

No, it won't be open to the public.

Would love to know who is replacing helmer and Fernandez at lsm.

Clary and Page for sure. I also believe that despite being listed at close Wyckoff has a good chance of seeing time at LSM. I can't imagine SU bringing him in to sit and not sure he can crack the starting rotation at close barring injury or someone really underperforming. I know everyone wants Kennedy at LSM but I think that at this point he is far to valuable at close especially with all the star attackmen we will see this year. Staff is also high on Drago but now your getting into a numbers game.

Clary and Page for sure. I also believe that despite being listed at close Wyckoff has a good chance of seeing time at LSM. I can't imagine SU bringing him in to sit and not sure he can crack the starting rotation at close barring injury or someone really underperforming. I know everyone wants Kennedy at LSM but I think that at this point he is far to valuable at close especially with all the star attackmen we will see this year. Staff is also high on Drago but now your getting into a numbers game.
Very interesting. With faceoffs being different this season, face offs are more of a 3v3 battle, so it makes sense to put your best GB guys out there. My hope is Wykoff is really good.

Very interesting. With faceoffs being different this season, face offs are more of a 3v3 battle, so it makes sense to put your best GB guys out there. My hope is Wykoff is really good.

We haven't heard much about the wings but I assume Dearth is a lock and Aviles is a close 2nd. As for the long pole, your guess is as good as mine. Kennedy has been there a lot but at this point I don't think SU is going to risk him getting injured on a scrum. I would assume Wyckoff will get 1st shot along with the 2 young LSM's and a young guy like Drago. I could see Kennedy out there in a must win faceoff but not on the regular.

Wish someone asked him about their defense.
know D will include f, n and 3 e's.

aka, still remains to be seen. think names bandied about are in line . noticed kenned listing as lsm by some pubs but doubt any inside info, prepped at both , ball on ground more after fo, might lead to some double poling of faceoffs at times . Believe best if most set in position but some minor jockeying to opponent always possible .

Large stadiums and arenas in New York can reopen for events with in-person fans starting Feb. 23, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said today.

Hockey, basketball, football, soccer, baseball, music, shows and performances can all return to the spaces, Cuomo said during a press conference in Albany.

The move will allow venues with a total capacity of over 10,000 people to reopen with a 10% capacity limit. All attendees will be required to test negative for Covid-19 through a PCR test within 72 hours of the event.

We haven't heard much about the wings but I assume Dearth is a lock and Aviles is a close 2nd. As for the long pole, your guess is as good as mine. Kennedy has been there a lot but at this point I don't think SU is going to risk him getting injured on a scrum. I would assume Wyckoff will get 1st shot along with the 2 young LSM's and a young guy like Drago. I could see Kennedy out there in a must win faceoff but not on the regular.

Part of me wonders if we’ll see Wykoff as designated face off wing and Clary and Page as the two main LSMs. The Gettysburg coach did say he would put Wykoff on the opponents best player, regardless of position so I may be underselling his defensive abilities. Think 3 LSMs is too many to run, so should be interesting to see what the rotation is.

Part of me wonders if we’ll see Wykoff as designated face off wing and Clary and Page as the two main LSMs. The Gettysburg coach did say he would put Wykoff on the opponents best player, regardless of position so I may be underselling his defensive abilities. Think 3 LSMs is too many to run, so should be interesting to see what the rotation is.
Makes sense . Splitting facets /responsibilities is a consideration. Last year Fernandez took most faceoffs as his wing play a strength while Helmer considered by some to be a stronger overall defender came on mostly on turns of possession . If acc games are high scoring and fast paced as many expect then be more faceoffs and transition which can exhaust lsm doing much of both. Best to have three readied and let game dictate usage. in 2019, enjoyed Kennedy and Fernandez double poling face-offs and would expect that to be used on occasion especially with new face-off rules that will have ball on ground more frequently.

SU ran 3 lsms in 2019 (Fernandez, Kennedy and Fusco), but I don't think SU will run 3 if the third isn't really good. If we're unsure of the ability of a player, it seems unlikely they'll get much time if there are two guys in front of him at LSM.

SU also ran 3 lsms in 2008 (White, Hlawati and McGonigle).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom