2021 Preseason Practice | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Preseason Practice

SU ran 3 lsms in 2019 (Fernandez, Kennedy and Fusco), but I don't think SU will run 3 if the third isn't really good. If we're unsure of the ability of a player, it seems unlikely they'll get much time if there are two guys in front of him at LSM.

SU also ran 3 lsms in 2008 (White, Hlawati and McGonigle).

The 2019 season is what made me think that running three LSMs was untenable, as I thought Fusco saw substantially less time than Fernandez or Kennedy. But if Clary, Page and Wykoff are the top three contenders, Desko would be relying on two redshirt freshmen and a DIII grad transfer, so having depth and different options probably won’t be a bad thing.

Really difficult to look down the road, but it strikes me that if the three mentioned above get the majority of the runs at midfield, and the three returning starters play at close, in 2022 only Wykoff would be guaranteed not to come back. SU has a lot of depth on defense and these young kids might have a hard time breaking through.

Of course there is a lot of unpredictably, the three starters on close could come back in 2022, or they could decline the extra year of eligibility (all three already had a true redshirt year) and there could be multiple spots open. Of course if that doesn’t happen and DiPietro, Murphy and Kennedy do come back, when they leave in 2023, you’d be dealing with a highly regarded recruiting class including Billy Dwan. I think a lot of these youngsters are talented, but they are really going to have to fight for playing time.

The 2019 season is what made me think that running three LSMs was untenable, as I thought Fusco saw substantially less time than Fernandez or Kennedy. But if Clary, Page and Wykoff are the top three contenders, Desko would be relying on two redshirt freshmen and a DIII grad transfer, so having depth and different options probably won’t be a bad thing.

Really difficult to look down the road, but it strikes me that if the three mentioned above get the majority of the runs at midfield, and the three returning starters play at close, in 2022 only Wykoff would be guaranteed not to come back. SU has a lot of depth on defense and these young kids might have a hard time breaking through.

Of course there is a lot of unpredictably, the three starters on close could come back in 2022, or they could decline the extra year of eligibility (all three already had a true redshirt year) and there could be multiple spots open. Of course if that doesn’t happen and DiPietro, Murphy and Kennedy do come back, when they leave in 2023, you’d be dealing with a highly regarded recruiting class including Billy Dwan. I think a lot of these youngsters are talented, but they are really going to have to fight for playing time.

Murphy did not use a true redshirt year.

You're right. Fusco didn't get as much time. I think he was on man down.

Murphy still has another year of eligibility (2022 season ). Class of 17 with Curry and others

My bad! It’s hard when the roster gives every non true freshman a redshirt designation. Plus it feels like Murphy has been at SU forever. Must be the fact that he seems to play a different position each year.

PS OSI.png

Beekman with a goal as well,interesting.

Have been trying to determine what the teams were for the scrimmage and it looks like the kept starters together - first midfield, Phaup and Varello, Rhefuss, Cook were all wearing Orange. Just don’t know if they paired the defense and offense together as one team or split the units up so they’d face each other. I bring this up since the only defenders I can really identify are Murphy and Nick Hapney. It could mean nothing, but made me wonder if Hapney was moved to starting lineup perhaps? We will find out soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom