2022 Fall Ball | Syracusefan.com

2022 Fall Ball

Just so u guys know the transfer SSDM Jake Murphy won't be there til January. The graduate program at Cuse wouldn't accept him until he did his student teaching. He walked at graduation so he figured he could do it when he got back from Cuse but he can't. They were gonna speak to the Dean about doing it in Syracuse and him signing off so he can get there for fall ball but coach Petro told him don't worry take care of ur student teaching and get here in January. Murphy told him he wanted to be coached by him in the fall he wants to learn and get better. Petro said ur a grad student and a 3yr captain in HS plus 2yr captain in college so I know u will be training. Do what u gotta do and I will help u be great when u get here in January. He told him I expect u to contribute as is so I'm not worried I will teach all u want to know when u get here. Just get here. I know the kid he works hard and wants to be great. I saw him play this summer in the top club league on Long Island against Brennon O'Neals team amongst many other top players from LI and he was stripping guys, locking em down plus scoring goals so he will be fine come January. Just wanted to let u guys know if u don't see his name anywhere he is coming to Cuse just not til January. Didn't want guys to think he bailed on Cuse. Cole Kirst was the first to call him. There fired up for there final season.

Just so u guys know the transfer SSDM Jake Murphy won't be there til January. The graduate program at Cuse wouldn't accept him until he did his student teaching. He walked at graduation so he figured he could do it when he got back from Cuse but he can't. They were gonna speak to the Dean about doing it in Syracuse and him signing off so he can get there for fall ball but coach Petro told him don't worry take care of ur student teaching and get here in January. Murphy told him he wanted to be coached by him in the fall he wants to learn and get better. Petro said ur a grad student and a 3yr captain in HS plus 2yr captain in college so I know u will be training. Do what u gotta do and I will help u be great when u get here in January. He told him I expect u to contribute as is so I'm not worried I will teach all u want to know when u get here. Just get here. I know the kid he works hard and wants to be great. I saw him play this summer in the top club league on Long Island against Brennon O'Neals team amongst many other top players from LI and he was stripping guys, locking em down plus scoring goals so he will be fine come January. Just wanted to let u guys know if u don't see his name anywhere he is coming to Cuse just not til January. Didn't want guys to think he bailed on Cuse. Cole Kirst was the first to call him. There fired up for there final season.
appreciate it.

This is cool:

"The Director of Operations sent Vincent the available numbers at Syracuse and he was asked to pick 3 in order of importance."

Obv we’re a ways away from anything but what do we think the starting line ups will be.

Like I said we are a ways away and making the guess as of now and what we currently have, what do we think/hope the lineups look like?

hiltz is a locked-in starter. there will be a lot of pressure on the staff for spallina to start immediately as well, so he'll be in there on the right side. simmons is their next best player and they didn't bring him in to ride the bench so i think he slides in there as well. no true QB but all three will move around and can take runs from behind the cage.

thomson and kirst through the box but both can stay on and play attack, similar to what maryland did last year with murphy and malever. would not be surprised to see those two and spallina/simmons switch places now and again depending on who has the hot hand. hiltz will be the one constant.

pretty clear top 5 on offense but after that you're just taking shots in the dark. zero clue if guys like kempney, leo, or rhoa are ready for the bright lights. i suppose they'll try and work birtwistle in there somehow

the defense...just start praying now

hiltz is a locked-in starter. there will be a lot of pressure on the staff for spallina to start immediately as well, so he'll be in there on the right side. simmons is their next best player and they didn't bring him in to ride the bench so i think he slides in there as well. no true QB but all three will move around and can take runs from behind the cage.

thomson and kirst through the box but both can stay on and play attack, similar to what maryland did last year with murphy and malever. would not be surprised to see those two and spallina/simmons switch places now and again depending on who has the hot hand. hiltz will be the one constant.

pretty clear top 5 on offense but after that you're just taking shots in the dark. zero clue if guys like kempney, leo, or rhoa are ready for the bright lights. i suppose they'll try and work birtwistle in there somehow

the defense...just start praying now

Given that Simmons has a bit more experience at midfield than Kirst, I might favor the Lehigh grad to start at attack over the Denver product. I am sure Simmons will see plenty of game action wherever he lines up. I do hope that they work Thomson in with his fellow Canadian counterparts on offense, I have to think that he, Simmons and Hiltz would have pretty good chemistry.

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the players we have penciled in on offense, outisde of Hiltz, are right handed. Spallina, Thomson, Kirst, Simmons, Birtwistle are all righties. Little remembered Tyler Cordes is one of the only returning lefties on the team this year. This was an issue last year as the coaches had to move Dordevic over from the right to the left to replace Hiltz on attack. I do wonder if Michael Leo might have a leg up on some others given that he is a lefty. I am not sure which hand Kempney or Rhoa favors.

I do have higher hopes than most for the defense - after shuffling between two underachieving options in Thompson and Gavin last year, it appears that the Orange have a proven, honest to goodness goaltender in Will Mark this year. It's a step up from LIU but I think Syracuse has definitely improved in this area. Even bringing in a goalie like Jimmy McCool seems like a step up. I hope the coaches pull the trigger early on in regards to the close defense. Unless Figurerias and Dwan prove to be totally outside their depths, I hope they go with youth and let the young guys learn on the job. Caccamo should be a good bridge and bring some veteran presence. It's a lot to ask one freshman to start on defense, let alone two, but Petro is already very familiar with both. I don't think it will help them if have to wait for one of the veterans to fail.

I guess this means Matt Magnan is not coming back. I like Luke’s reasoning!

So he says the director of operations sent him the choices.. I thought they were still looking for one or did I miss it

Given that Simmons has a bit more experience at midfield than Kirst, I might favor the Lehigh grad to start at attack over the Denver product. I am sure Simmons will see plenty of game action wherever he lines up. I do hope that they work Thomson in with his fellow Canadian counterparts on offense, I have to think that he, Simmons and Hiltz would have pretty good chemistry.

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the players we have penciled in on offense, outisde of Hiltz, are right handed. Spallina, Thomson, Kirst, Simmons, Birtwistle are all righties. Little remembered Tyler Cordes is one of the only returning lefties on the team this year. This was an issue last year as the coaches had to move Dordevic over from the right to the left to replace Hiltz on attack. I do wonder if Michael Leo might have a leg up on some others given that he is a lefty. I am not sure which hand Kempney or Rhoa favors.

I do have higher hopes than most for the defense - after shuffling between two underachieving options in Thompson and Gavin last year, it appears that the Orange have a proven, honest to goodness goaltender in Will Mark this year. It's a step up from LIU but I think Syracuse has definitely improved in this area. Even bringing in a goalie like Jimmy McCool seems like a step up. I hope the coaches pull the trigger early on in regards to the close defense. Unless Figurerias and Dwan prove to be totally outside their depths, I hope they go with youth and let the young guys learn on the job. Caccamo should be a good bridge and bring some veteran presence. It's a lot to ask one freshman to start on defense, let alone two, but Petro is already very familiar with both. I don't think it will help them if have to wait for one of the veterans to fail.

From what I was told I wouldn't be shocked if both Simmons and Kirst start at midfield. Staff is high on Birtwistle and Spallina and Hiltz are locked in to start at attack. Certainly Birtwistle could see time at middie but he was much more effective at attack last year then at middie (albeit in limited minutes at middie). Thomson seems likely to play a good size role but there doens't seem to be a ton of minutes available at attack unless the team is going to earnestly rotate in a 4th attackmen. Cordes/kempney/Rhoa all seem likely to end up on the 2nd mid line. I am high on Leo but hard to see where he fits in for major minutes barring an injury or he supplants Birtwistle which is possible but will take a lot.

Defensively goalie and SSDM should be improved and potentially significantly at both sites. At close it seems two frosh are likely to start alongside Caccamo. Going to be a rollercoaster ride with them for sure and some up and down performances. Hard to see it somehow being worse then last year though. Need to clean up the dumb mistakes regardless of who starts. 5 offsides penalties against Albany was insane.

From what I was told I wouldn't be shocked if both Simmons and Kirst start at midfield. Staff is high on Birtwistle and Spallina and Hiltz are locked in to start at attack. Certainly Birtwistle could see time at middie but he was much more effective at attack last year then at middie (albeit in limited minutes at middie). Thomson seems likely to play a good size role but there doens't seem to be a ton of minutes available at attack unless the team is going to earnestly rotate in a 4th attackmen. Cordes/kempney/Rhoa all seem likely to end up on the 2nd mid line. I am high on Leo but hard to see where he fits in for major minutes barring an injury or he supplants Birtwistle which is possible but will take a lot.

Defensively goalie and SSDM should be improved and potentially significantly at both sites. At close it seems two frosh are likely to start alongside Caccamo. Going to be a rollercoaster ride with them for sure and some up and down performances. Hard to see it somehow being worse then last year though. Need to clean up the dumb mistakes regardless of who starts. 5 offsides penalties against Albany was insane.
The two freshman will be fine. Both play at an extremely high level, work hard, play smart and aren’t too excitable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom