2022 Portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

Gonna depend on Mintz. If we get him and no one leaves at guard we will have 4 or 5 depending on what you count Taylor as. Without Mintz you still hit the portal for a stud guard who can start.
But will a stud guard honestly look here? I hope so but idk.

So what are people realistically hoping from the portal when it comes to a guard? We know Joe is going to start and play a high number of minutes and Symir will have the head start on the starting PG job. So, to me, no top guard transfer is going to be looking here. The forward position might be a different story when it comes to the portal, depending on what Cole does.
If a portal guard is afraid of a guy that barely played and averaged 2ppg then he's not what we're looking for.

Sort of just having another Symir isn't he?

26 pct from 3.. not really a scorer just a facilitator..
He’s a ball handler, facilitator and good defensive player.

Is there a rule that we can't look at 1-2's and 3's and 4"s? That would be awful if there was.
Yeah, step 1: figure out how many spots we have open. Step 2: fill those spots with the best players we can find. 13 spots (5 guards, 5 forwards and 3 centers). Fill it up, try to get better players than we already have.

I know it will get push back, but I think Charles Pride would be well worth looking at. IMO he is athletic enough to cause problems at the top of the zone and a legitimate rebounder (8.6/game). He's similar to Symir but I think he would be a great third guard. Only 33% from 3 this year but last season was over 40% on 4 attempts a game. Certainly a capable shooter.

His competition is weak but so was Jimmy Boeheim's and he has good size for a guard. I would seriously inquire to see if there is any interest.

I know it will get push back, but I think Charles Pride would be well worth looking at. IMO he is athletic enough to cause problems at the top of the zone and a legitimate rebounder (8.6/game). He's similar to Symir but I think he would be a great third guard. Only 33% from 3 this year but last season was over 40% on 4 attempts a game. Certainly a capable shooter.

His competition is weak but so was Jimmy Boeheim's and he has good size for a guard. I would seriously inquire to see if there is any interest.
I like Symir, but I hope he's not more than a 3rd guard for us.

Should be looking at 3s and 4s
Bingo. There's less question marks at guard (scary) than there are at the 3 and 4. If Cole doesn't come back, next year's team will be lucky to win 10 f?@($! games. Who starts at the 3 and 4? Does Frank shift to the 4? If so our D should be good, but he's not much of a scorer. Who starts at the 3? Benny? Lot of question marks.

Is there a rule that we can't look at 1-2's and 3's and 4"s? That would be awful if there was.

LoL I agree we need a whole roster revamp but we have two starting guards, this team needs immediate help at the 3 and 4. If you wanna look at 1s and 2s to come off the bench have at it.

I don't think Charles is in the portal now so that might be a problem.

Guessing even if he was, he would not go somewhere where there isn't a clear path to be a starting at SG. Next year, it looks like that is going to mainly be JG3's position.

I think he has two more seasons. If he enters the portal after next season, I could see him being a great fit for us.

Yeah, step 1: figure out how many spots we have open. Step 2: fill those spots with the best players we can find. 13 spots (5 guards, 5 forwards and 3 centers). Fill it up, try to get better players than we already have.
Can’t fill up just to fill up. They can’t take up spoths they want to fill with freshman in the next recruiting class or with guys that will be seen as blocking playing time.

Can’t fill up just to fill up. They can’t take up spoths they want to fill with freshman in the next recruiting class or with guys that will be seen as blocking playing time.
Grad transfers are great to fill spots that you want available for next cycle. The trick is finding a player that will both fit the role you are trying to fill and be willing to play that role.

LoL I agree we need a whole roster revamp but we have two starting guards, this team needs immediate help at the 3 and 4. If you wanna look at 1s and 2s to come off the bench have at it.
I want a pt that can do more than Symir does. We have not had a real pt guard in so long that when we saw Kadary last year we went over board. Now, we are doing the same thing with Symir. I want an upgrade at both the 1 and the 3.

I don't think Charles is in the portal now so that might be a problem.

Guessing even if he was, he would not go somewhere where there isn't a clear path to be a starting at SG. Next year, it looks like that is going to mainly be JG3's position.

I think he has two more seasons. If he enters the portal after next season, I could see him being a great fit for us.
No hes not in the portal because his team is in the tournament. It's rumored he will be transferring after this year and I'd expect us to pursue. If we got him, I think its safe to say he'd start, I mean hes averaging 19 and 8 a game on a tournament team. Had a stretch of games mid season where he had 44 and 12 32 and 10 and then 34 and 9. That's ridiculously good and they won all 3 games

No hes not in the portal because his team is in the tournament. It's rumored he will be transferring after this year and I'd expect us to pursue. If we got him, I think its safe to say he'd start, I mean hes averaging 19 and 8 a game on a tournament team. Had a stretch of games mid season where he had 44 and 12 32 and 10 and then 34 and 9. That's ridiculously good and they won all 3 games
Bryant is also a 16 seed that has to compete in a play in round. That speaks more to the level he plays at.

Bryant got whipped in the non conference this year. Without Green, they still are good in the NEC but not competitive against better teams in bigger conferences.

Pride could be interesting but he also plays in a pressing system getting a lot of points in a much faster paced system. Against decent opponents this past year he was not good.

I want a pt that can do more than Symir does. We have not had a real pt guard in so long that when we saw Kadary last year we went over board. Now, we are doing the same thing with Symir. I want an upgrade at both the 1 and the 3.

philosophical difference with pgs. I want a pg who can effectively run a team and get the ball to scorers. With full time minutes and a decent supporting cast I don't think it's out of the question Symir could average 7/8/9 assists per game, 6/7 points and a few rebounds while keeping turnovers low. He's just not a high volume scorer but seemingly can get to the tin anytime he wants. Really had no issues doing it against Duke one of the better man defenses he'll face. If he starts hitting on the floaters and layups i could see him averaging 8 and 8.

I don't know how they compile the metrics, but according to sports reference Symir averaged 7.9 points and 9 assists per 40 minutes and 11.5 points / 13.1 assists per 100 possessions.

philosophical difference with pgs. I want a pg who can effectively run a team and get the ball to scorers. With full time minutes and a decent supporting cast I don't think it's out of the question Symir could average 7/8/9 assists per game, 6/7 points and a few rebounds while keeping turnovers low. He's just not a high volume scorer but seemingly can get to the tin anytime he wants. Really had no issues doing it against Duke one of the better man defenses he'll face. If he starts hitting on the floaters and layups i could see him averaging 8 and 8.

I don't know how they compile the metrics, but according to sports reference Symir averaged 7.9 points and 9 assists per 40 minutes and 11.5 points / 13.1 assists per 100 possessions.
I think we can do better. It is as simple as that. Symir still plays (unlike this year) but as the 3rd guard.

So, it's not out of the question for Sy to average more assists / game than MCW or Jonny?
Basically be peak Pearl, or Sherm?

That seems reasonable. :confused:

Jennifer Lawrence Ok GIF

I literally just posted this the other day, but we're clearly overdue for it, again:

I think we can do better. It is as simple as that. Symir still plays (unlike this year) but as the 3rd guard.

from the portal you think we can do better? or from the HS ranks. Cause I agree if it's HS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom