2022 Portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

from the portal you think we can do better? or from the HS ranks. Cause I agree if it's HS.
From the portal. I think the HS too but I'm afraid the ship might have sailed there. Although I do think we are going to make an effort for Clark. But we have been down this road before.

So, it's not out of the question for Sy to average more assists / game than MCW or Jonny?
Basically be peak Pearl, or Sherm?

That seems reasonable. :confused:

Jennifer Lawrence Ok GIF

I literally just posted this the other day, but we're clearly overdue for it, again:

I did say 7 - 9. 9 obviously being on the high end and likely unreachable but dishing is his game so who knows. He would obviously need guys who can finish and that might be asking a lot with a Syracuse roster these days.

7 per game is not a stretch.

He had 88 assists in 392 minutes. Isn't that 4.5 assists per minute played? He only played 13mpg.

He had 8 games with 5 or more assists

Auburn - 5 assists in 21 minutes
FSU - 5 assists in 12 minutes
Brown - 7 assists in 17 minutes
Miami - 6 assists in 14 minutes
Duke - 6 assists in 25 minutes
BC - 5 assists in 17 minutes
FSU - 9 assists in 29 minutes
Duke - 11 assists in 40 minutes

Is it far fetched to think that averaging 26 minutes per game wouldn't get him to a 7 apg average?

I want a pt that can do more than Symir does. We have not had a real pt guard in so long that when we saw Kadary last year we went over board. Now, we are doing the same thing with Symir. I want an upgrade at both the 1 and the 3.
I believe that in a starting role that Sy can average 8 to 10 PPG based on his current skillset. If he can add a little 10 to 15 foot J to his arsenal he could have a great chance to average 10 plus. Add that to his high assist to TO ratio and his solid D and I think he could be a very good PG for us, especially if Cole comes back because then we would have at least two excellent three point shooters to complement his skillset.

I did say 7 - 9. 9 obviously being on the high end and likely unreachable but dishing is his game so who knows. He would obviously need guys who can finish and that might be asking a lot with a Syracuse roster these days.

7 per game is not a stretch.

He had 88 assists in 392 minutes. Isn't that 4.5 assists per minute played? He only played 13mpg.

He had 8 games with 5 or more assists

Auburn - 5 assists in 21 minutes
FSU - 5 assists in 12 minutes
Brown - 7 assists in 17 minutes
Miami - 6 assists in 14 minutes
Duke - 6 assists in 25 minutes
BC - 5 assists in 17 minutes
FSU - 9 assists in 29 minutes
Duke - 11 assists in 40 minutes

Is it far fetched to think that averaging 26 minutes per game wouldn't get him to a 7 apg average?

Yes, it is. Which is exactly my point.

We had MCW and Jonny play All The Minutes, on MUCH better teams, and not average that.
Soph Jonny avg 6.7 in 37 minutes.
Soph MCW 7.3 in 35 minutes.

BOTH of these guys were NBA lottery picks.
Sy... is not.

So, you thinking Sy could do that, in substantially fewer minutes to boot! - is insanity.

Last edited:
No hes not in the portal because his team is in the tournament. It's rumored he will be transferring after this year and I'd expect us to pursue. If we got him, I think its safe to say he'd start, I mean hes averaging 19 and 8 a game on a tournament team. Had a stretch of games mid season where he had 44 and 12 32 and 10 and then 34 and 9. That's ridiculously good and they won all 3 games

Safe to say he would start? Which position?

Yes, it is. Which is exactly my point.

We had MCW and Jonny play All The Minutes, on MUCH better teams, and not average that.
Soph Jonny avg 6.7 in 37 minutes.
Soph MCW 7.3 in 35 minutes.

BOTH of these guys were NBA lottery picks.
Sy... is not.

So, you thinking Sy could do that, in substantially fewer minutes to boot! - is insanity.

and Z Sims averaged 7.4 assists per game as a senior?

7 apg is a great season obviously and would put him near the top of Syracuse single season numbers but it's not rarified air for a kid who makes his living passing.

I enjoy rooting for Section 3 kids as much as anybody but guys like Adams-Woods and/or Pride aren’t solving the problems the roster seems to have right now going into next season.

If we’re grabbing a guard from the portal we don’t need a P5 jag we need a stud who can play on the ball. I like what Symir has shown but there’s going to be point guards in the portal that can elevate the team and if we aren’t landing Mintz or Clark JB needs to bring one in.

Can’t wait on those two to make decisions either because we know how that goes.

Yeah, he's a combo guard aka pg/sg

Is there some FFF’ing rule somewhere that we can’t just get a proper PG for once???

I am really, really tired of JB trying to shoehorn a SG into the PG role, and failing more often than not.

The last actual PG we landed who was a PG and displayed PG skills in college was Ennis.

That was nearly a decade ago.

I like Sy. Great handle, strong as a bull and can finish in traffic, very good passer. Kid defends and rebounds.
Best skill. He has jets. For his size hes super quick and fast.
If he can just get a decent shot hes really good.

The Mike Anderson rumors are interesting, especially interested in what that would mean for Posh

That’s the thing: our coaches recently seem fairly content with the talent level we have had. At least our head coach has seemed content.

Isn’t that because you have to play with the guys you have and it wouldn’t help our team chemistry if JB was openly letting it be known he isn’t satisfied with the talent level of the guys he has.

Just because we haven’t successfully landed someone, doesn’t mean we haven’t tried and wanted to do so.

need 4 capable guards...2 of whom can score...2 of whom can play PG are PGs.

for the record - i think Sy would continue to average an assist every 4/min as a starter, which is indeed rarified...he did it all season...other teams cant take away his passing...in the duke game they knew he wasnt shooting and he still got his assists..if his shot improves, he could probably even increase his assists.

Isn’t that because you have to play with the guys you have and it wouldn’t help our team chemistry if JB was openly letting it be known he isn’t satisfied with the talent level of the guys he has.

Just because we haven’t successfully landed someone, doesn’t mean we haven’t tried and wanted to do so.
Right, he cant say these guys I have stink but, even JB has said he hasnt done a good enough job in Recruiting. Read between the lines as to what that means.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom