2022 Portal | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

ESPN's look at the top 100 or so transfers this off season

Still some talent out there, it seems

Quick look - AJ Green, Malachi Smith, Isiaih Mosley, Pete Nance, Emmanuel Akot, Felipe Haase

All seem to be free agents that can shoot the 3 still out there...bolded players are all forwards.

Any reason to not reach out to these players???

Lol, JB is famously thin-skinned, as you know. Of course he cares what people are saying. He calls into talk radio shows to argue with some of them.
Not sure he's famous for it, but yes, he's VErrrrry thin-skinned. I find it quite humorous whenever he tries to act like he doesn't care what people think but then goes on a tirade for 10 minutes during a presser about what people are saying.

Not sure he's famous for it, but yes, he's VErrrrry thin-skinned. I find it quite humorous whenever he tries to act like he doesn't care what people think but then goes on a tirade for 10 minutes during a presser about what people are saying.
It used to be kind of charming when we were winning consistently. But after the run of mediocre regular seasons, it’s become grating for many fans. I hope he has it in him to get this program and recruiting back on more solid footing before he retires. I like the potential of the 2022 class. But I’m concerned about having to rely on too many freshman next season.

Exactly my first thought - he’s just ranking Cuse low because he’s counting out the freshmen since they weren’t 5-stars. He’s looking at Joe, Symir and Jesse as the only contributors, and assuming Benny doesn’t make a leap. He also spelled Symir wrong, and said this is a weird Cuse roster (which I disagree - I would say last year was a weird roster and this is a return to Cuse dna). I would be surprised if Cuse finished 12th, one spot behind BC. That would mean none of the freshmen or Benny contributed much.

Exactly my first thought - he’s just ranking Cuse low because he’s counting out the freshmen since they weren’t 5-stars. He’s looking at Joe, Symir and Jesse as the only contributors, and assuming Benny doesn’t make a leap. He also spelled Symir wrong, and said this is a weird Cuse roster (which I disagree - I would say last year was a weird roster and this is a return to Cuse dna). I would be surprised if Cuse finished 12th, one spot behind BC. That would mean none of the freshmen or Benny contributed much.
2 of freshman will play well. Benny will average 10 and 6

And to be good we need one of the frosh to play really well.
Not really... If Girard, Edwards and Torrence play to their previously observed peaks or get even better, the other rotation guys can be merely competent and we'll still be good. And that is counting Williams as a freshman. If he is everything we hoped for last year, the freshman can be outright bad and we'll be ok.

Not really... If Girard, Edwards and Torrence play to their previously observed peaks or get even better, the other rotation guys can be merely competent and we'll still be good. And that is counting Williams as a freshman. If he is everything we hoped for last year, the freshman can be outright bad and we'll be ok.

Well Symir I am intrigued by but he isn't going to put up 10 plus a game much and won't be defended on the perimeter. If JB switches D so we can play 3gs sure otherwise it's not Symir that gets us there. It's one of the forward frosh stepping up in a big way by defending and hitting the open looks they will most definitely get.

Right now teams will use 5 guys to defend 4 or 3 vs us until they can't. So until they are forced to stay committed the open man must be effective. Defense will be the key for this team I feel early on. Offense will come along but Joe and Jesse are going to feel the vice grip for a while. I really think finding a way to have Mintz, Sy and Joe out there when a match up allows would help us a lot. That puts us in attack mode off the bounce and speeds up the attack eliminating things getting bogged down.

If Taylor or Bunch can hit 3 open looks a game or more then we are cooking with gas.

This isn’t correct at all, in my opinion. We’d need Joe to replicate the shooting of Buddy, Cole and himself. Unless Jesse shows out at twice what we saw last year, we need much more scoring. And if the new guys are only ’competent,‘ it’s going to be a long year.

This isn’t correct at all, in my opinion. We’d need Joe to replicate the shooting of Buddy, Cole and himself. Unless Jesse shows out at twice what we saw last year, we need much more scoring. And if the new guys are only ’competent,‘ it’s going to be a long year.

Yep. This isn't being negative either. This is practical. Years like this are the times the zone can be an impediment to the program. The inflexibility is a limiting factor. Hence my jaw drops if we play 3gs and man but outside big frosh contributions we will be super limited and have a ton of weight on Joe and Jesse which I hate to see because with freedom to play their game they could thrive

Last edited:

You’re assuming we will run the same exact offense which we won’t. This years team isn’t going to look anything like last years.

You’re assuming we will run the same exact offense which we won’t. This years team isn’t going to look anything like last years.
I expect this year's offense to run through Edwards, especially if he has continued the improvement he showed last season. If his scoring improves to the extent it needs to, he will get additional attention, including double teams. And he has shown the ability, in limited opportunities, to hit the open cutter (mostly Swider). The cutter would be a role Benny might aspire to.

Yes, I am. Because that’s the offense JB runs. A new offense and man to man in the same year?

Watch out for those flying pigs.

We have years where we take close to 800 3’s and years where it’s closer to 600. All depending on personnel. I expect it’ll be on the lower end this season unless Bunch and Taylor both shock the hell out of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom