2022 Season Lookahead | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Season Lookahead

Perfectly said. Also- is it me or does Phaup somehow end up on the ground and out of the play EVERY SINGLE TIME?

Phaup falls down a lot, like a concerning amount of time. Not sure if its a footwear issue or what but something is wrong.

Phaup falls down a lot, like a concerning amount of time. Not sure if its a footwear issue or what but something is wrong.

I think he dives - not all the time but I think a lot of the time its on purpose. I think the refs are on to it too as I think they've stopped calling pushes against him. Another reason to try and target a more athletic midfielder who can carry the ball better.

Berkman can play, expect to see his name in portal and draw Rutgers interest. Other note, Birtwhistle can rip. Tenaglia impressed before injury

Why would a Florida kid want to play at Rutgers?

Why would anybody?

All your diagnoses are descriptive of a team that broke down almost immediately at the beginning of the year and never recovered. I'd like to add my last two sense for this year. Nothing galled me more than the obvious lack of cohesion that I will try to document here.

First, there were uncountable periods of obvious conflict between team members on the field. Take the defense in the RM game. RM scored an easy goal. Defensive players looked angrily at each other. The Goalie in gesture and posture seemed disgusted. Examples of half hearted efforts were plain to see in the veteran dms.

Second, under pressure from behind by even one or two goals, the whole team seemed to surrender in many of the games. Adversity did not result in increased effort. Even the worst defensive units do not give up 8 or 9 straight goals without the cooperation of the whole team. Wing play is particularly dependent on extreme athletic efforts. I could not find the wings in many of the FOs.

Third, the Scanlan matter was diagnostic. When the players turn against a single member, the incident has gone much too far. I have coached at many levels of more than one sport. Predictably, one or two guys who tried out for the team showed themselves to be narcissistic idiots. Of course, they were also among the better athletes and sometimes by far the best athletes on the team. At first, I tried to point out the problems to them, offering them a second or third chance. The other kids rightfully resented my tolerance. I learned quickly that this approach was toxic to team cohesion. So, I tossed them off the team after the first instead of the third incident. Probably did a disservice to some of them, but never to the team. Scanlan was a mistake from the beginning.

For this last mistake, I hold the admin and the coaches responsible. This team had a bad attitude from the Army game to the deserved end of a lousy season. Even their celebrations after goals seemed tepid.

I hated the 2007 season, just because I hated to lose. I never got the feeling that the players weren't determined to stick together and win. I do not think repairs among the various units can bring SU back to it's ferocious HHH of which we are all so proud. I offer no solutions... until next fall.

I think the offense is a far bigger problem than the defense. You simple can't win running an iso offense when you don't have THE best players on the field. They gave up way to many empty possessions, early (or bad) shots, and turnovers. The offense this season put to much pressure on the defense.

Man up was 14-32. On the flip side we had 61 penalties. Doubled up in penalty minutes. There is a lot wrong with the direction of the program right now. Desko belongs in the Hall of Fame but it's time.

In regards to Porter, I thought he might've had a bit of a down year but I felt like he got shelled and that wears a goalie down. Not every goal is created equally either. He was way down the list of the team's problems.

Porter was not bad , he was awful. He got blitzed on heat with clear open lanes from the outside and could never make the surprising one on one doorstep stops the elite goalies are making this season - Adler, Enteman , Krieg etc

Yes, he was hung out to dry , but you’ve got to come up with the ball on some of those -especially the long range stick side high shots .. he just didn’t see the ball this year
Porter seemed to play way too far in his net, especially on the long shots. If you don't come out and cut off the angle, you leave the entire net exposed. Cut off the angle and you essentially shrink the net

Disclaimer: this just is the opinion of a lifelong hockey goalie who has never stepped foot in a lax crease :cool:

Agree on the handling of Scanlan but one would have a completely different take on not "sticking together " if they knew the issues and adversities faced . Shokolv, do recall u objecting to having a lax season due the covid environment. Maybe that would have been best because on that front, that admin did everything possible to limit moreso than most others including restrictions that limited access , interaction, prep, harmony in every way imaginable but still was able to put the team and its leaders through unnecessary turmoil at every turn including threattening to shutdown season if they boycotted DV. The vet dm potshooted was exhausted holding up a depleted dm unit . Outsiders obviously unaware about the extensive time spent in training room by some to get on field despite hurting because others were down. Maybe a list should be provided at year end. Comraderie and effort were there but results weren't . Taxing season on many fronts but this team stuck together

Agree on the handling of Scanlan but one would have a completely different take on not "sticking together " if they knew the issues and adversities faced . Shokolv, do recall u objecting to having a lax season due the covid environment. Maybe that would have been best because on that front, that admin did everything possible to limit moreso than most others including restrictions that limited access , interaction, prep, harmony in every way imaginable but still was able to put the team and its leaders through unnecessary turmoil at every turn including threattening to shutdown season if they boycotted DV. The vet dm potshooted was exhausted holding up a depleted dm unit . Outsiders obviously unaware about the extensive time spent in training room by some to get on field despite hurting because others were down. Maybe a list should be provided at year end. Comraderie and effort were there but results weren't . Taxing season on many fronts but this team stuck together
always respect your takes. Let's agree to disagree about this year.

Same sholokov. Been a long year for all people , Lifting but pray for a return to greater normalcy in 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom